It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All this Russia-Trump talk, lets not forget Obama open mic slip

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

That is why what Flynn did was wrong. He was not an individual elected by the people of the US. He was not working for someone that in the US government at that point. And yet he may have influenced US foreign policy without the authority to do so.

Ok, ☕️ Starting to get it.
I doubt it had much influence though, Hillary was hated by so many, didn't seem fit for the job...

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Ah so it's double standard isn't it? Note: Obama did this during the second election cycle, while the elections were taking place. Yet he gets away with it, but flynn is forced to resign.

More on the story related with the OP by Mark Dice.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

If anything, I'd think it's more questionable. Supposing Trump DID have talks with Russia regarding sanctions... he was only a presidential candidate. He had no ability to do anything, and could only make good on his promises if he was elected, which I'm sure everyone who had their heads buried in the sand presumed was a long shot. Obama on the other hand is here practically doing what Trump supposedly did with the actual power to do something about it.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: bender151

... so the President of the United States can't talk to agents of foreign governments about policy?

Okay.

Why not?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SoulSurfer

He was still President. Using that logic no President should be able to discuss foreign policy until the start of their second term.

Just because a President is up for reelection, be it in four years or one month, they are still the President and are afforded all the privileges and responsibilities that go along with that position. I know the Right hashad an issue with this fact over the past year or so but it's the truth.
edit on 2/22/2017 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Yep,

Hey after the election I will be more flexible when discussing missile defense.

I wonder if this was going to leave allies with their keisters hanging in the breeze? That seemed to be a hallmark for the Obama admin.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Its all very worrying - If I was the president, I would expect there to be scrutiny of all my dealings - it comes with the territory doesn't it?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: muSSang

What is the difference, hmmmm, lets see. These phone calls with Russia, were done BEHIND Americas back with Don and his team....see the difference....If not the beach is 10 min from my house if you need some sand.....

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Yep,

Hey after the election I will be more flexible when discussing missile defense.

I wonder if this was going to leave allies with their keisters hanging in the breeze? That seemed to be a hallmark for the Obama admin.

Was Obama President when he made the comment?

Or not?

That's really the only relevant question here.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang

he big difference is our Democrat Party press didn't manufacture outrage. All the outrage and protests you see are directly related to the media's incitement.

During the 2012 election cycle, please dont get triggered.

Obama did not stop being the President during the election cycle. The Logan Act was not violated. On the other hand, Donald Trump assumed his presidency before his inauguration and tweeted as much. The USA only has one president at a time. That is the difference.
edit on 22-2-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

It was 2012 when the comment was made, during a PUBLIC conference so of coarse he was President....the communication between Don and his team were DURING THE ELECTION PROCESS, and BEHINDE OUR BACKS....That is the difference....

edit on 22-2-2017 by kurthall because: add

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

It was 2012 when the comment was made, during a PUBLIC conference so of coarse he was President....the communication between Don and his team were DURING THE ELECTION PROCESS, and BEHINDE OUR BACKS....That is the difference....

I think you may be confused.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Obama was President and so it was legal for him discuss policy with that Russian. Now here is the part that is so hard for Trump supporters to understand. As a private citizen it was illegal for Trump to talk policy with Russia.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
No private citizen can influence Russia's foreign policy. Even if Flynn or Trump talked with the Russian government before they took office, it's no big deal. They expressed their opinion. They did not dictate America's foreign policy which at the time was set by Barack Obama.

As an analogy, I tell you to jump off a cliff. That's just words. I do not have control over your actions. So no harm done.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: greenperson
No private citizen can influence Russia's foreign policy. Even if Flynn or Trump talked with the Russian government before they took office, it's no big deal. They expressed their opinion. They did not dictate America's foreign policy which at the time was set by Barack Obama.

As an analogy, I tell you to jump off a cliff. That's just words. I do not have control over your actions. So no harm done.

You don't have a problem with the law being broken?

That's "no big deal" eh?

Logan Act

FYI Any response that includes any variation of "But Hillary ... " will be ignored.
edit on 22-2-2017 by Gryphon66 because: PSA

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Logan Act says no private citizen of the US can negotiate with a state that is hostile to the US or at war with the US or having a dispute with the US. Russia is not hostile to the US, is not at war with the US, does not have a dispute with the US. Flynn did not break the Logan Act.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: greenperson

So you don't think it's odd that shortly after Flynn's call Russia walked back their rhetoric calling for sanctions against the US.

The sanctions levied against Russia were intended as a punishment for Russia's actions. If Flynn told the Russians they wouldn't need to worry about those sanctions after Trump took office then it strips away any effect those sanctions may have had.

That is clear example of a private citizen undermining the foreign policy/authority of the sitting President. You don't see a problem with that?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: greenperson

§ 953. Private correspondence with foreign governments.

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply himself, or his agent, to any foreign government, or the agents thereof, for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

Where does it specify any such thing?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

This. I quote. "in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States"

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: greenperson

Logan Act says no private citizen of the US can negotiate with a state that is hostile to the US or at war with the US or having a dispute with the US. Russia is not hostile to the US, is not at war with the US, does not have a dispute with the US. Flynn did not break the Logan Act.

The President of the US had just established sanctions against Russia for meddling in our election.

Beg to differ.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join