It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM is desperate to influcence people against Trump.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: Gryphon66

Again with your lack of reading comprehension skills. Never once did I claim if folks didn't see my way they are biased.

I said anyone with non bias views and rational thoughts will clearly recognize the false narrative.

You really need me to elaborate further for you? Or you got it now?

LOL ... you're proving my point.

You do realize that "false narrative" is completely subjective here right?

I don't need you to do anything, certainly, and I'll thank you to keep a civil tongue er, fingers.

You do realize that you are not the arbiter of what is true and what is false for the entire world, right?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I said anyone with non bias views and rational thoughts will clearly recognize the false narrative.

What if those people with "non bias views and rational thoughts" do not see the "false narrative"?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were in a trial court room. I thought we were being adults and using common sense. My mistake.

False equivalence with the same principles. It's OK if you don't want to answer it, as it was more of a rhetorical question.

Yes yes, keep calling me parrot.

Gwak gwak!!

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

a reply to: introvert

I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were in a trial court room. I thought we were being adults and using common sense. My mistake.

False equivalence with the same principles. It's OK if you don't want to answer it, as it was more of a rhetorical question.

Yes yes, keep calling me parrot.

Gwak gwak!!

You need to flap your arms ...

... it's not the same if you don't flap your arms.

/pout

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Subjective to those blind and In denial. But keep on.

It's clear where you stand and I could care less to sway your opinion.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

You keep proving his point LOL.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

So, in general ...

"Disagreement with knowledgehunter [sic] equals being blind and in denial."

I encourage you to use your time to the greatest effect. You're posting logical inconsisenties on a members forum and you've been called on that. You've done nothing to amend your mistake.

... but don't take it personal - it's not about you, it's about reality, logic and reason.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Well damn, I guess it is what it is then.

On top of blind and in deep denial, I would like to add;

Burden with bias
Clouded with emotion
Incapable of rational thought
Incapable of individual thought
In deep denial

Did I say denial yet? I hope I didn't forget anything.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: frenchfries

I don't need any "influence" from the media or any other source. My eyes and ears tell me all I need to know about Trump.

Wow, you must have seen Trump in the flesh many times then?!? Are you a journalist?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Well damn, I guess it is what it is then.

On top of blind and in deep denial, I would like to add;

Burden with bias
Clouded with emotion
In deep denial

Did I say denial yet? I hope I didn't forget anything.

Interesting so ... in general anyone who disagrees with your pronouncements is:

Blind
In deep denial
Burden with bias
Clouded with emotion
In deep denial (somewhat redundant, but it's your list).

That's some hubris you've got going on there bud.

Best.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: frenchfries

The MSM is the direct culture of many anti-Trumpers. They need it for their talking points, ideas and sustinence. How many times have you heard the word "unhinged" before Hillary Clinton used it? Now the word is all in the headlines and mouths of the media's parrots, who have no choice but to repeat what their told.

That would explain a lot about the Right Wing as well. They regurgitate the same mantras, like "lock her up", "criminal Hillary", "fake news" and such because their MSM news outlets are part of their culture.

Aren't "Lock her up" and "Criminal Hillary" more to do with Hillary being a criminal who needs locking up, than media brainwashing?

"Fake News" meme was started in (a very suspicious and overly-aggressive media) response to PG...

Try harder.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner

I don't need any "influence" from the media or any other source. My eyes and ears tell me all I need to know about Trump.

Wow, you must have seen Trump in the flesh many times then?!? Are you a journalist?

Are you suggesting I shouldn't believe what he says to cameras? Are you suggesting the media somehow alters his speech while he is talking?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I doubt you've seen Jesus Christ in the flesh either ... may we assume you're an atheist then?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Are you suggesting I shouldn't believe what he says to cameras? Are you suggesting the media somehow alters his speech while he is talking?

No, I'm saying the phrase -

"I don't need any "influence" from the media or any other source."

Is extremely naive considering everything you have ever heard or seen of Trump has been carefully framed and presented by media organisations.

Everything.

This isn't to say you aren't entitled to make your own opinion based on what you see of him, but you cannot deny that even unedited videos are surrounded on either side by much anti-Trump rhetoric and negativity. Presented in this way, you could make the most mundane or even positive comments appear negative.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

a reply to: theantediluvian

The media is purposely creating false narratives to divide everyone, is that not an enemy of the state?

That's a useless platitude for first order thinkers, looking to avoid complexity and ignore nuance in favor of bitesized bulls# that's easily retained and repeated.

Worse, "the media is purposely creating false narratives to divide everyone" is in fact, something of a "false narrative" itself, used to deflect, dismiss, defend, distract and divide.

Media bias stems from all sorts of a things. The first thing to understand about the media is that media outlets are, with rare exception, for-profit endeavors. That means they need a product to sell, somebody to sell it to and that they're in competition with other outlets in the same market.

They're beholden to sources to provide information which means they have a bias derived from their sources' biases. Further driving this effect is the nature of human association and partisan politics. That is to say that for instance, Fox News (as a whole) has disproportionately more GOP sources while MSNBC (as a whole) has disproportionately more Democrat and CNN is somewhere in the middle of the two though arguably much closer to MSNBC. Sources are going to trend to whomever they see as most favorable to their position.

Then there's advertisers, that's an easy one. Outlets don't want to lose advertising revenue obviously and so they're not going to piss off their advertisers.

Then you've got a feedback loop with the consumers. For all their blabbering, most people just want to have what they believe validated, whether it's true or not. The more an outlet reinforces a particular worldview, the better they'll perform versus another outlet catering to the same audience. In other words, media outlets give people what they want because when they do, people consume their product.

I could go on but I think that's probably enough to illustrate the point which is that memes like "the media is purposely creating false narratives to divide everyone" are at best circlejerk fodder for the intellectually lazy.
edit on 2017-2-22 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

You know, between you and me, back in the 80s when I was a kid ... I always thought that Carl Sagan was exaggerating when he talked about science and rational understanding as "a candle in the dark" set against "a demon-haunted world."

Turns out he was spot on:

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”

Year of Publication: 1996
edit on 22-2-2017 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I doubt you've seen Jesus Christ in the flesh either ... may we assume you're an atheist then?

You can assume anything you like! You don't even have to ask my permission to do so. But thanks anyway!

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

You can assume anything you like! You don't even have to ask my permission to do so. But thanks anyway!

Thank you.

So, more directly, are you asserting that we can only know things about those people we have seen "in the flesh"?

That's a very philosophical point that I'd love to hear more on, actually.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: frenchfries

The MSM is the direct culture of many anti-Trumpers. They need it for their talking points, ideas and sustinence. How many times have you heard the word "unhinged" before Hillary Clinton used it? Now the word is all in the headlines and mouths of the media's parrots, who have no choice but to repeat what their told.

That would explain a lot about the Right Wing as well. They regurgitate the same mantras, like "lock her up", "criminal Hillary", "fake news" and such because their MSM news outlets are part of their culture.

That's probably true, though not necessarily the topic of conversation. The right-wing media is small fries in comparison to the one under discussion.

Right-wing news and conservative think-tanks are generally more honest that they are conservative and on the right. If the left wing media stated they were left-wing and liberal, we probably wouldn't be talking about them as much. Instead they pretend they are fair and unbiased journalism, even though most of them endorsed a certain candidate.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

What does that even mean? "The direct culture?" That's nonsensical. As for the rest of that — are you going to argue that Trump supporters don't exist in their own bubble? Aren't immersed in an echo chamber that reinforces their distorted perceptions? That the average Trumpkin is studiously collecting information outside of well established channels and independently vetting it to create his own unique talking points?

Because there's a flock of drones blaming the "deep state" for everything who readily implode that absurd notion.

Personally I stick to the typical rags—NYT, WaPo, CNN,etc.

By direct culture I mean to imply their source of culture. The people I speak of probably never leave Twitter long enough to look outside, let alone looking outside their bubble long enough to view alternative viewpoints.

You're right about the deep state thing, even if the same phrase has been used by writers for the Atlantic and the intercept. Whether that is true or false should be accepted on its merits, not where it comes from.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join