It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whole page snip app

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I've been using a few apps Screengrab, Nimbus Screenshot and Awesome Screenshot Plus. I've used some others before that.

These are good when sniping the visible area, but they all seem to suffer from the same shortcoming.

1 is that is when snipping a complete page, its saved as long thin image, the resultant image always has to be blown up to fatten the image to a readable width.

2 The other thing is that despite setting the highest possible quality setting that the programs settings provide, there is some reduction in the quality of the expanded image.

I was wondering if this might be due to peculiarities of win 7 or is that just the nature of the beast. Has anyone found a snipping app yet that saves a snip of an entire screen to full size and displays in full quality just like the original page?

thanks for all input in advance

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Ijust use the one that came with windows , seems to work fine for me .

ETA , windows 7 pro .
edit on 22-2-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I just use the mouse right click > save as... option for web pages. Saves it in html format generally with a folder.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

Yep, this method is good for saving pages as they were but has its issues.

Depending on your useage and reason for saving you could-

A) Request the internet archive to archive the url (Only the page you input, stored forever as it is that day, often including all css/js/html)

B) Use Chrome extension like Fire Shot to capture entire page or specific regions of a page. (can capture all open tabs at once if you are ripping pages in bulk)

C) Rip an entire website and everything within its subdirectories - WinHTTrack Website Copier. This is the most complicated method and tweaking is necessary to get everything sometimes. But in general, if the browser renders it this software will nab it. I have tried a few and this software goes deeper and can access a lot more than modern applications. It's old, but gold
edit on 22/2/2017 by constant_thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

No need.. Rt click>SaveAs>Web Page

Haven't saved screenshots in years... Unless of course offline stuff

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
None of these work for things like facebook, where you need to scroll to the end to save an entire page.

Ahh but why would anyone want to save a facebook thread.

don't ask me.. I stopped asking when the facebook printer download app was rendered useless... but then, who needs that.

Fireshot works for normal websites, but the image quality is hopeless...

Hopefully we get a good solution one day.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

I haven't personally tried fireshot but I did have something similar a year back that did a direct per pixel copy. Are you sure it's not just because of a low resolution on laptop or whatever? I can't see why it would be necessary to apply harsh compression on a sequence of screengrabs, it would be more effort than it is worth.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: constant_thought

Im on a pc, and had a games worthy graphic card at the time.

I just put it down to the app saving the image quality in low res, but there was no way to make it better.

Be interested to know what you were using??

I could enlarge the images in the photo viewer, but everything was blocky.. still readable, but not like from my scree. :/

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

So, curiosity got the better of me and I have just ran a test. I can confirm it is pixel accurate with zero compression, so it is exactly as you see on your monitor. The problem could be in Windows Photo Viewer as that has a very bad algorithm for enlarging images and will appear blurry at any zoom higher/lower than its native size.

Here is a composite of two different captures, one pixel perfect the other Fire Shot. Make sure your browser zoom is set to 100% (no enlargement) then compare.

edit on 23/2/2017 by constant_thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

No need.. Rt click>SaveAs>Web Page

Haven't saved screenshots in years... Unless of course offline stuff

Thanks for that. I did that for a time but I noticed when i revisited some sites the link came up with 404 message or otherwsie failed to open.

I like to keep my info where I can be more certain i can bring it up.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Winsnip certainly has its place but I all too often find I have to enlarge the pic.

thanks

new topics

top topics

join