It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frozen Shoulder aka Adhesive Capsulitis aka Why Life SUCKS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Life has gotten to be a real pain since sometime in October when I noticed that rotating my left arm in certain ways really hurt ... for no real reason.

Since then, I have developed a frozen shoulder. AND I HATE IT! You ever get told you don't miss something until it's gone? Yeah, I never really realized how nice it was to be able to dress independently and shave until I lost those abilities. I haven't been able to raise my left arm behind my back since late December at some point. It's humiliating to have to ask someone to help you dress and sometimes undress because your arm can't reach up behind your back or lift out to the side or up above your head.

I recall opening doors with my left arm and not having to worry about possibly twisting my arm a little too much to the side or behind.

Oh, and the best part? Nighttime ... when there is no, zero, nada, zilcho comfortable positions to lay in so that you can fall asleep. And if you do fall asleep finally, nothing says that when you wake up in the middle of the night and your muscles and joint have "set" after three or four hours of sleep, you'll fall asleep again because not only is nothing comfortable, but all positions hurt. There's a steady, persistent ache to a sharp, stabbing pain and nothing makes it quit.

It's tolerable during the day and some days are better than others so that you start to think, "Hey, maybe I'm turning a corner here." But then another day dawns with less mobility and aching pain clear down into your wrist and hand and you realize it was just false hope ... again.

Oh, and this is where I am after the steroid injection in the joint. It improved the immediate mobility in the joint itself, but not the mobility in my arm.

And ... I've looked this up online. I could be stuck like this for another eight to thirteen months on top of the four I've already spent like this.

Anyhow, I just needed to rant a bit because maybe tonight I'll be exhausted enough to fall asleep. It's been two or three nights since the last time, so I'm about due. And I am tired, but sleeping on my back is the worst because that's where I snore which isn't fun either, but sleeping on my side, either one, is about impossible right now ...

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You also need active wieght lifting exercise. Get a personal trainer to guide you AND massage from a registered therapist. These two things will help you more than the steroid shots.

I have gone thru frozen shoulder 3 times in my life. When I was young and fell while hanging on to the railing and twisted my arm. this is more of a strain than frozen shoulder. I thought it healed by itself.

When I got older, I got frozen shoulder. The exercise and massage treated it in 4 or 5 months. The old injury came back and that had to be healed with exercise and massage

Then finally from repetative strain.

All healed fairly quick and permanently with exercise and massage.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Had a dislocation about three years ago, and ended up with a frozen shoulder... it sucked big time

To this day its still not the same but on the plus side i have loose tendons in my shoulder because of a stretch i used to do as a child... both used to dislocate on the regular... now the one that was frozen is much tighter, but im still careful

I've also had stabilization surgery on one.... and i wish i had both done

I feel for ya brother...

Weights and physio will help

edit on 21-2-2017 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Right now, I am doing the basic stretching and mobility stuff. I still have good range of motion in front to most degrees even upward.

I never injured my shoulder. I think this is related to the neck problems and constant nerve inflammation and spasms I have on that side. Doesn't make it better, but it's not traumatic injury related.

Problem is that I'm still at the point where pushing it too far or moving it wrong causes spasms painful enough to bring me to tears and have me rolling around in complete abject misery for a good long while.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Came at me out of the blue, left just as quickly after about 8months. Very odd feeling I can tell you. Never forget thinking I'd lifted my arm and I actually hadn't!

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Sounds very familiar especially at night Im a bit of an ego lifter at the gym so i damaged something in my shoulder. I bought an ultrasound machine that helped but what healed it was glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets. Make sure you try that before steroid injections.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

hear you very loud and clear brother.....exercises and massages with a frozen shoulder is difficult. A good trainer will deal with it (if he can't, he ain't no good). Remember, you are already in excruciating pain. Excercise does not hurt more. But physio is a must.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

hear you very loud and clear brother.....exercises and massages with a frozen shoulder is difficult. A good trainer will deal with it (if he can't, he ain't no good). Remember, you are already in excruciating pain. Excercise does not hurt more. But physio is a must.

Ah, you want some real irony? My cousin's husband is likely one of the best physical rehab guys in the world at the moment. And I know my insurance won't cover him!

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Not to be one of "those" people,

But...

You might also consider acupuncture.

I've had excellent results using acupuncture for various musculoskeletal injuries following a couple of car accidents and repetitive motion injuries.

It's minimally invasive, and often covered by insurance (mine was, at least).

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

I've considered it.

Thing is that I am limited by referral. GP is excellent about recognizing and agreeing when referrals are needed. I am not as sure about the ortho I was referred to. This would actually be the first time GP's referral did not measure up.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Have you had a Lyme Tick test?
A lot of sneaky, nasty, symptoms out
there these days are due to tick born
illnesses.

Just a thought to consider.
I hope it passes.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

Wouldn't be that. I get very allergic to bites, specifically chigger, but they tend to blow up like a balloon and can look a lot like a bull's-eye rash, so I've actually been tested more than most people probably.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Well that crosses that off the list.
What is your body P.H. level?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I have an older (90 yrs.) relative who is suffering from a frozen shoulder. His doc flat out told him that he'd just have to deal with it because at his age, "There is little to be done other than shooting you up with steroids." When I heard those words I knew we were in the wrong place. I asked about massage and exercise. My relative is faithful about rehab programs---one of the reasons he's 90 and still able to live alone and take care of himself. The doc looked at me like I'd sprouted green gourds from my forehead. I knew we were in the wrong place. Our 15 minutes were up and the doc was tapping his foot asking, "So, do you want the shot or not?"

We left that office and went across town where the massage therapist gave him some immediate relief and the rehab therapist suggested that he try light (photon) therapy. She believed, after extensive questioning, that his problem was related to neck and nerve issues brought on by a neck surgery he had years ago. We found a photon therapy device that has allowed him to sleep, thus regain some of the ability to function normally. (The steroid shots really gave him a jolt, couldn't sleep, lost his appetite and made him "jumpy as a long-tailed cat in room full of rockers.")
Don't really know if I'm supposed to post links to products but googling Lumen photon therapy should get you a description at least.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   

I havent read through this thread yet ..... but have to tell you of my experience

(in the UK) 10 or so years ago .....fully cured now.

Went to the doctors with concern due to my mother suffering from arthritis

I thought that was what I was getting. I had your symptoms.

Before I even finished explaining he was writing out a perscription for the

physiotherapy clinic. I wasn't convinced, but had to give it a try. I was given

some light exercises to do with my arm whenever I had 10mins or so spare.

The exercises were too easy, but to my astonishment they worked

The only other treatment I received at the clinic was about three treatments

of exposing my joint to a metal apparatus for 10/15 minutes, I dont know

what exactly it was, I even wondered if it was given as a 'placebo'

But hey!! it worked like a miracle

www.health.harvard.edu...
edit on 22-2-2017 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I currently suffer with nerve problems in one of my shoulders. First damaged it about 3 years ago and after ages and ages it cleared up, only for me to wake up about a month ago to the same frustrating aches and pains.

Had massage which helped, now trying to use normally to get the flexibility back. I too have problems getting comfortable when sleeping and find it best to sleep with my arm raised and tucked under the pillow.

Have you tried "glycosamine sulphate" tablets? Good for arthritis and bone problems.

Good luck.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I hope you get better soon.

Pain killing injections and an intense course of physiotherapy might be worth looking into.

Keep your chin up. When life goes wrong, don't go with it.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Do not, I repeat do not have surgery for this condition. I had a severe case like the one you describe. I went through the shots and the physical therapy to no avail, and bottles and bottles of Ibuprofen. But good news, there is a treatment that corrects the condition.

I went to an orthopedic doctor who diagnosed the condition and offered an unusual treatment that worked. He injected a nerve block into my shoulder rendering the arm completely limp and with no feeling. He then quickly raised the affected arm above my head. The sound it made was like ripping 2 pieces of Velcro apart. it was so loud it startle him, his nurse and me. He said that was the scar tissue tearing away. This scar tissue is what freezes the shoulder and causes the pain.

The pain gradually subsided over several week but the mobility was restored immediately.(I could dress myself again) I have had no recurrences. I advise you to find a doctor who can do this procedure, otherwise the pain and immobility will likely continue for up to 2 years. I know what your going through. Good luck
edit on 22-2-2017 by bladerunner44 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join