It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

jamming of short wave and loss of"bounce", for the last week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
sorry bother anyone but i have a ? about something that i have noted this week and do not know where to go for answers.
if anyone can post alink or a website where peolpe talk about rodio probs that would be really cool.
ok that out of the way here's the deal.
for the last week , on my old short wave /long wave radio, there
has been something makeing a noise that sounds like jamming on,
most fo the short wave band i get, allso it happins in some for the am trafic as well. along with this there seems to be much more "sqirt",
trafic [this sounds like what your com sends when macines talk to each other ie: like high sound humming or low constant noice, sorry i don't know the right word for this ],.
but the most weird thing is i'm not getting normal "bounce", trafic ie:
no radio staitons from out side of the states, in fact , i not really getting much from out side my local area[only in am,nothing on short wave],
i don't really like to post stuff, but i thought it was just me,
but last night the guy on "Coast to Coast", made some passing commit,
and i thought he big into the rado thing so here i am asking,
thank you for your time

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
where are the Conspiracy people, after ID day movie , i thought mabye i get,
ayleast 1- idea from someone.
from what have learned talking to other peolpe who do radios is that
must have something to do with the upper astmoshere, solar flares seems
to be the most likly thing but no one has seen anything like this for so long,
would realy like to here from some of the other radio people here,
i know there has to be some of you here, please post if you have
ideas or storeys. any info would be cool.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Hi,

Felt really bad that you've not gotten any responses, educated or otherwise.

Having said that, I am sure that I can't answer your questions. I don't really do the short wave thing, but I used to. Back when I did, I would get solar interference all the time. Most of the radio personalities would make mention of such, and would switch over to other freq. at certain points during the day. Are you sure you're not just staying on one station and they move over to another? Do you have a normal Shortwave only or do you also have SSB?

Anyway, that's all I could think of, just wanted to try and help ya out. Maybe my totally under-informed response will inspire another more versed in shortwave radio.

Good luck with that.

X

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
the short wave/long wave is very basic, i have 2 sets, i thing one is from lik SEARS,
old stuff , had the older one for like 14 years, it's old teck, last forever,
but the newer set, have the same stuff going on,i went threw the house,
made sure that most of the big stuff was off that would make disruption
to sets was off[other then my washer/dryer nothing realy made any feilds to mess with
the sets].
after a week i just tryed after seeing your post nad i finly did get some short wave trafic,
i think it was china, or something like that, but am still getting, the
limmted jamming noices,and the hevey macine noices[com trafic, or sqirt trafic],
this week here it was cleaer skyes, intell last night/ this morning,
was not going to post even , but the coast to coast guy sound just messed up,
about it and really didn't sound like he wanted to talk about it.
as sofare as SW1,sw2or sw3, + the long wave on the main set, there allways
some disruption , it's bouce after all and hard to get normaly,
but in 14 years of listning , i never had aprob like this, b ut atleast
i got something this morning , thank you for you reply
F161

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Fiorina 161]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Glad to help(or try to anyways),

Also, I've got a friend who's kinda into shortwave, for Alex Jones and Texe Marrs and all that. Just emailed him for ya and:

He said that if you want to get rid of a lot of that noise, you can go down to radio shack(or the like), get some copper wire and a small jack that will plug into your radio's antenna jack.

Attach the copper wire to the jack, soldering is best. then plug it into your radio's antenna jack. Run the copper wire outside in a linear path, say, between two trees, or so. This will give you a reasonably good antenna that will allow you to get a better signal.

From the description above, you'd want a bout 20-50 feet of cpper wire(very thin guage is ok), and then however much to run from outside to your radio.

That should stabalize your listening a bit. Then try dialing in something closer than china first. Try like in the 5k band and see if you can dial it in really clear. From there you can branch out and keep adjusting your gain and see if you can keep a signal stable.

That's really all I've got, but I hope it helps a bit.

X

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Okay, sorry I didin't see this one sooner. I too enjoy shortwave as well as amateur radio so I'll take a stab at a couple of theories.

None of these by the way is to discount any theory you may have and you may have already thought of a disproved many or all of them but here goes.

First, one of the biggest influences upon RF is electromanetic pulses. My father-in-law is now having the same problem you are. What he eventually noticed is that when a certain street light comes on next to his house, it washes out his whole 10 meter capability. Evidentally, the balast in the light is melting down or "leaking" harmonics which bleed all over that band. His answer was to request power be cut to the light and put his own new light up since he assumed that would be easier than having a crew from the power company attempt a repair on a light which is still burning.

Secondly, this interference could be coming from a faulty connector of your local TV cable company's end. They will not usually take a complaint seriously in which they are interfearing but thats also a two way street for Hams. Again, my father-in-law fought a battle with their local company years ago because when he keyed up 2 meters, it tore their channel 18 all to hell. Why, because they had a open connection somewhere in their line but their answer was to shut him down instead of spending the cash to repair it. The FCC did not see it that way. They have strict guidlines for amateur stations and he was in perfect compliance. In fact, he got an award for his patience and professionalism in the Ham community.

The bottom line is, check for everyday things and try different locations for your rig in your house and outside. Eliminate all the ordinary possible causes and you'll be one step closer.

For instance, near a TV or even a metal shelf which acts to reflect or refract the signal can have those affects. If its determined that its nothing in your house then take it portable. Interference usually rises as you near the source unless its totally washing out in a large area. Find it, fix it, or report it.

If then, nothing is found and you get the same interference from cross town and can hook up with someone like me who can plan on listening to the same freq at the same time its going out from a good distance away, you'll know its not localized.

Actually, its a good little fox hunt, as they say. I'd bet sooner or later, you'll find something which isn't working the way it should be.

Hope this helps.

AC

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Three cheers for Astro!

I knew if this got a little attention someone with some knowledge would give it a little TLC.

X

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
the sets i have , are for listning, i had a set to send/ recive but it broke along time ago,
my dad has had it for years trying to make it work, but that was all
really great info guys thank you, the sets i have are small,
and they don't send, only recive stuff, thats why i posted,
i din't think that they would have probs like the bigger sets,
anyway good to learn this stuff , i may need to get something bigger.
any way got to log now thanks!
F161

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Fiorina 161]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I have read a few articles talking about how new IP over electic mains can cause ShortWave and AM interference. Maybe someone has implemented this tech and is causing a widesread problem with shortwave reception.
Here are a few articles on the subject:
Internet noise threatens emergency radio
Why Broadband Over Power Lines Is A Bad Idea

Hope these give you some insight.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonedef
I have read a few articles talking about how new IP over electic mains can cause ShortWave and AM interference. Maybe someone has implemented this tech and is causing a widesread problem with shortwave reception.
Here are a few articles on the subject:
Internet noise threatens emergency radio
Why Broadband Over Power Lines Is A Bad Idea

Hope these give you some insight.

Well, that topic has been batted around more than a few times on this board and I am firmly be against it. For one thing, it interferes with FEMA's emergency communication frequencies. Another caveat is that when the FCC involked the right for utility companies to run power lines over public and private property, the definition was very specific and at that time, since this idea wasn't even conceived, not included in said description. Translation; a whole new act will need to be written to enable it. I'm all for wi-fi and although I would probably use and benefit from BPL, what we'd be giving up is far more. According to the FCC regulations, the whole concept of BPL would certainly fit the current definition of harmful interference which is illegal. Still another is that most utilities go through a local public service commision which also looks out for interest of commercial, private, and govt. radio communications as well.

That being said, my earlier comment to locate and report said interference was directed by and toward that definition.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I just noticed recently all kinds of static coming through on my shortwave. It is to the point where almost the complete signal on the lower meter bands are gone. Just static. ??

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Who knows, maybe we are seeing the degredation of the bands themselves. I will admit I have noticed my am radio has begun to "wonder" a bit at night. I find myself continually re-tuning to track a station which seems sometimes to phase all the way out. ..or maybe something is pulsing in? We know a station's transmit freq does not vary so then the likely reasoning would be the rise and fall in intensity of a source of interference.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
sunspots...

We just had a big one explode (biggest in years)
it must have caused some problems
www.spaceweather.com

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
I just noticed recently all kinds of static coming through on my shortwave. It is to the point where almost the complete signal on the lower meter bands are gone. Just static. ??

This is quite common on the low bands ... It has to do with absorbtion in the
F Layer. When the A index is high the low bands suffer high levels of F layer
absorbtion.

I have been a Amatuer Radio operator for 20 years and 160M and 80M are
my main bands of operation and have noticed this effect many times.

[edit on 4-2-2005 by TheHorseChestnut]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   
just want to say thank you for all the info all,
thanks nut for jumping on with your stuff cool,
keep coming ATS RULES YO !!!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I was an amateur radio operator years ago, but have not been active in some time. In addition to all of the suggestions above I do have one more.

Do you have a Armateur Radio Club in your area? If you can not find out perhaps a google will bring to a ham site that can help you in your area. It was always my experience that hams will help when something like this is going on.

Good luck
WA1DZX

top topics

join