It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Washington Writing Guru Declares American Grammar ‘Racist,’ Wants New Rules

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I had thought I had heard a lot of stupid accusations of things being racist and the idea of "micro-agressions", but this just stopped me in my tracks. I mean, really?

The chief writing instructor at the University of Washington, Tacoma, is trying to dismantle the rules of grammar because he believes they are racist—and the college has given its endorsement to his campaign. Posters that appeared this week in the college’s writing center are part of a new effort to teach students that the conventional rules on how to structure sentences and form ideas in written language are perpetuating inequality and “white supremacy.”

REALLY???!!! A modern University is advocating completely ignoring proper grammar, to be politically correct.

To solve the problem, the program intends to help students become aware of “social justice” issues in their everyday life, and to help them “check their privileges”—particularly those that result in unconscious racism.
They also appear to say that they will not deduct from grades—even in English classes in an English department—for failing to use proper grammar. “We promise to emphasize the importance of rhetorical situations over grammatical ‘correctness’ in the production of texts,” a “commitment” on the poster reads. “We promise to challenge conventional word choices and writing explanations.”

And, I cannot wait until these genius graduates try to work in the real world and communicate in a corporate meeting without using proper grammar. Their message will be completely ignored and not taken seriously. Not to mention their ability to communicate globally with others.

University of Washington alumni, take notice. Please stop funding this program ASAP before we lose more jobs to people who may have learned English as a second language yet can communicate more effectively than native speakers. It is already a growing challenge, this ,IMO, will push it over the edge.

Just............ WOW.... dn:

Link to full story:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Trump's in charge now, this crap is out.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Surely this is satire? A joke of some sort?

It has to be...

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Are you salty about the messengers relaying these stories where racism is accused by an overly emo imbecile with a mic in his or her face, or are you salty over the number of idiots who are actually getting their moment in the sun by spitballing accusations of racism against anything they can think of?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

That's ok, they're will still be able to right inglish, just not like what I can.

Maybe ATS should get the instructor on to do an AMA (Axe Me Anything) on his ideas.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Wait ... you made a thread about how grammar is racist and perpetuates white power without giving any examples?

I want to see the white power perpetuated by the participle, man! Or maybe it's just the way English adopts bits of other languages and incorporates them so readily into its own structure. Shouldn't that demonstrate its inclusiveness though? Now I'm confusing myself.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
When you accept an insane ideology you cannot be surprised when it produces insane things.
edit on 21-2-2017 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Wait ... you made a thread about how grammar is racist and perpetuates white power without giving any examples?

How about this

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

Excuse me while I drop this white power beat.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Rational people should be furious about this. Giving another tool to students to fail...that's all this is.

Why would you let one man, Asao B. Inoue, Ph.D., be allowed to affect a whole generation of students taking his classes! All of this white hate is making people do stupid things under the guise of helping others succeed, but in the interim they are just saying "you're too ignorant to succeed, so we're going to lower the bar."

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Rational people should be furious about this. Giving another tool to students to fail...that's all this is.

Why would you let one man, Asao B. Inoue, Ph.D., be allowed to affect a whole generation of students taking his classes! All of this white hate is making people do stupid things under the guise of helping others succeed, but in the interim they are just saying "you're too ignorant to succeed, so we're going to lower the bar."

Basically, this.

It's another way to excuse someone's ignorance. No, it's not that you suck at English. It's that English is racist against you. Blame someone else.

My kid is messed up in that respect. His momma will make sure he learns that terrible ol' English.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Are we discussing racism, civil rights or freedom of speech?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

Surely this is satire? A joke of some sort?

It has to be...

Don't you mean to say, "Shirley I gest, and dont not call meh surely"?

This is not a simulation, it is real... real frikken stupid IMO. As said, just another excuse to not learn and slide by. Makes one wonder if the university administration likes this idea since it will allow them to pas more people through the system, and generate more $$$ in tuition with the faster turnover rate.

In other words, screw the quality of the education we want quantity, man!

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

All anyone really needs to know is if they can ask you if you want fries with that.

'Course, they are spending an awful lot of their loan money unschooling themselves.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yes.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

All anyone really needs to know is if they can ask you if you want fries with that.

'Course, they are spending an awful lot of their loan money unschooling themselves.

Perhaps that is on the final exam for that degree from that p'gressiv instatooshun of nawlege. And speeeeling dunt kount.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
These people are just seething with hatred for Whites.

And yet they have the gall to call Whites racist.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Stick to the topic of the thread

Topic of the thread is not about how many topics about this there are post on ATS.

Do not reply to this post.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join