It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Le Pen Shuts Down Ignorant Lebanon Leader

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I'm going to say she did the right thing. We shouldn't have to conform to the Religious requirements of others.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

Considering the whole idea behind the religion is submission and the current more redical veins of it are into forcing submission through violent, brutal means, I think she did the correct thing. It was a show of strength, not submission. I know in our Westernized worldview covering her head would be seen as a sign of respect, but he would see it as a sign of submission and her putting herself into a position of weakness and that's not how she should present herself as someone wishing to be taken as a co-equal leader.

She is already in trouble on that front as a woman.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
So your belief is that people who want to live in another country should not assimilate to that countries laws and traditions?

my belief is not the subject of this thread.

Is she moving to Beirut? No. If she was moving to Beirut she would have no choice but to follow their laws and customs or face their courts.

moving there is not a prerequisite, just visiting is sufficient.

She talks all about how muslims are imposing their cultural beliefs to French society, yet there she is, in Lebanon, imposing her own cultural beliefs to the locals.
Yes. Hypocrite covers it well

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Exactly.

If these countries ever had a female leader, what if we made them remove their head dress to speak to our leaders?

How would that play out?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm a "Speak the Money" person, meaning abide by the rules/laws of that country.

But, in this case I'm gonna support not covering the head.

IMO she is a political being, not a gender.

She should not be forced to do something her male counterparts are not.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Delete
edit on 21-2-2017 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: whismermill

She is not imposing her anything on them. She is not forcing them to act in any way counter to their culture. She is simply refusing to act counter to her own.

He either meets with her or he does not. It is his call.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: whismermill
my belief is not the subject of this thread.

But the question was valid as it pertained to the thread. If we are not expected to discuss our opinions, why are we even here? You've never given an opinion on a discussed matter before?

She talks all about how muslims are imposing their cultural beliefs to French society, yet there she is, in Lebanon, imposing her own cultural beliefs to the locals.
Yes. Hypocrite covers it well

She only said she would not wear it. Never once did she say locals should not.
edit on 21-2-2017 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: whismermill

my belief is not the subject of this thread

One's belief is always subject with one's response.

moving there is not a prerequisite, just visiting is sufficient. She talks all about how muslims are imposing their cultural beliefs to French society, yet there she is, in Lebanon, imposing her own cultural beliefs to the locals. Yes. Hypocrite covers it well

You may have a point there. Maybe it should have been told to her before her visit what was expected.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule
a reply to: amazing

Exactly.

If these countries ever had a female leader, what if we made them remove their head dress to speak to our leaders?

How would that play out?

Interesting point.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Considering that only last week in the UK there was a bit of grief on the news about bosses unreasonably expecting women to "dress more feminine" ie skirts and heels rather than trousers and flats. There were, quite rightly, people saying that bosses should bugger off. As long as someone looks smart then they have no business dictating in this manner.

Not much different to the grand mufti insisting women cover their heads in his presence really.

Though there is always the danger that men who insist on women covering up like this are total rapists who know they can't be trusted and are looking out for the interests of the women that have to share a country with the sickos.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I can't counter any of your points. Nice.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Though there is always the danger that men who insist on women covering up like this are total rapists who know they can't be trusted and are looking out for the interests of the women that have to share a country with the sickos.

I never looked at it like that. Thanks for the perspective.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: surnamename57
a reply to: RedDragon

Don't have a meeting with them. Plain and simple.

Why are you meeting with them? To show who you are? Do you think they are not aware of it?

She isn't.

It is reported right here in this thread for anyone that can read and comprehend to see.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
It also makes me wonder what feminists think about this and will there be a protest against the requirements

Feminists come in all shapes and sizes. Certainly my wife applauds anything that challenges male control, which is what "covering yourself up" is all about. Sadly, women are second class in many countries, especially those run by men, for men, where the preservation of male superiority is a cultural objective. Forcing women to cover up is a form of male control.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Stupidity is usually rewarded. So I will reward you with my reply: I was generally speaking.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: surnamename57

Stupidity is usually rewarded. So I will reward you with my reply: I was generally speaking.

Here is your reward then

Twofold. (in case you fail to notice)

My specificity was on point and on topic and in the right context to the thread And your comment. A bit of a shame to see that there are people like you out there that lack the capability to comprehend such things and learn and respond to it in a civil manner.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

As far as civility goes, well, you get what you give.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

His country, his rules. A matter of respect. If the meeting was in her country, then she could set the rules. ...But the fact is, international players respect each other's religions and ways wherever they are. Helps keep the dialogue going and civilized.

On the other hand, women are not respected as decision-makers by many of these 'players' whether they cover their heads or not. So I dunno.

I don't much like Le Pen (although I do think she's attractive), but I kinda like what she did here.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
As an aside, am I alone in finding it ironic that someone known as the grand mufti is imposing a dress code?

(For non Brits, mufti is what one wears when one doesn't need to be in uniform).

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join