It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Has Made A Huge Discovery About Planets Outside Our Solar System

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

How many Billions or Trillions did this cost the tax payer.

Time for NASA to go private.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

How many Billions or Trillions did this cost the tax payer.

Time for NASA to go private.

NASA's FY2016 budget request summary
(warning -- link opens directly to a 19-megabyte, 658-page PDF file):
www.nasa.gov...

According to the budget, it looks as if they request $64.2 Million for exoplanet research in 2016. I suspect some of that is the cost of hardware (such as the Kepler Telescope) amortized over a multi-year period.

NASA's FY2017 budget request summary
(warning -- link opens directly to a 11-megabyte, 712-page PDF file):
www.nasa.gov...

They are proposing to budget $133.8 million for exoplanet research in 2017.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I was referring to how much the agency has cost the tax payer since its creation in 1958.

The following is for one year...

NASA's $19 Billion 2017 Budget Request: A Summary.

edit on 21-2-2017 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
They found more humans on the other 33 continents, you know the ones beyond Antarctica.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Once it must happen. Why not now? We don't have endless time. It has already been postponed for years.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain
If you were to measure the "big looking" Moon on the horizon (by holding a ruler or something else at arm's length in front of you), then measure it again later that night when the Moon is high in the sky and smaller-looking, then you would see that the Moon was the same size each time you measured it.

If you measure very carefully, you'll find that the Moon on the horizon is not quite 2% smaller than the Moon high in the sky. That is because the Moon is ~4,000 miles further away than when you saw it 6 hours before.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yawn. There will be no big new eye popping revelations. They need the attention right now to build up trust and public interest. They desire more funding basically. Do they deserve it? Maybe. Should we give them the big budget? I believe we should. It is crucial, long term. Black opps should focus on black opps. My 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

Right. Since NASA is GOVERNMENT, really really BIG NEWS would be LEAKED already.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Could be interesting, but I don't think I'll hold my breath! Always seems to be a letdown, in these cases.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
This is supposed to be the story....
nasawatch.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

NASA: "we have discovered that planets orbit stars!!"

Well, no # who is dumb enough to think that our solar system is unique in the entire cosmos.

Nasa always announces the obvious like its some kind of revelation. Sure its cool that you mathematically proved it, but its not even really a discovery. Nothing happens just once in nature.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth
Yawn. There will be no big new eye popping revelations. They need the attention right now to build up trust and public interest.

Jeesh, all it was was an anouncement for a press conference. People are reading too much into it, especially with the help of misleading MSM headlines.

One again:

NASA will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 22, to present new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets. The event will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over this, I don't know.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: savemebarry

originally posted by: StallionDuck
So... NASA has announced that they have an announcement?

Then....

NASA announces that it's really dark in space!

Man I'm tired of reading those.

It's not dark in space. Or how would we have light years??

Or is the speed of dark faster than the speed of light?

And if so, then is dark matter actually dark? Or a brilliant white light, that we can't see for all the dark stuff getting to us before it?

And will the black hole sun ever really wash away the rain?

Oo

I should be an astrophysicist.

Maybe like the way the moon appears bigger when it's on the horizon because the curve of the earth acts like a magnifying lens, then maybe, all the gravity wells out in space is making objects in space appear much further away than it actually is.

Ahhhh You are trying to infect me with logical science.

But thing is, we are already in space. *cue spooky music*

Oo

I know what you're saying though.. and to some degree I agree. however we compensate for that..

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: savemebarry

originally posted by: jhn7537

Ahhhh, Never A Straight Answer... Can't wait

If some major discovery, do we believe they actually share to share, or share because its no longer hidable and want to take credit? God I'm cynical, lol..

Well, Never A Simple Answer, perhaps... considering that ice particles and camera glitches need complicated detailed explanations for some people who cannot understand technology or physics..

Or it's... Aliens.

You never know. I mean, they DID cut their live ISS feed after 6 UFOs were spotted passing by.

According to?

Can someone who watched the live feed verify this? Till, then, it's ST10 who claim it was cut.. and how better a way to make money for your popular monetised youtube channel than to create a video of alleged UFO's mixed with a NASA cut the feed, conspiracy?? as they are known to do.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The announcement appears to be the discovery of 4 additional planets around TRAPPIST-1, most of which are rocky and within the stars habitable zone. At 39.7 light years away, this system will be a future target for more detailed observations.

NASA Watch

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   

They have detected an ocean on an exoplanet. Maybe.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

So... NASA has announced that they have an announcement?

Then....

NASA announces that it's really dark in space!

Man I'm tired of reading those.

So you don't think NASA should hold these occasional press conferences (which they hold on a semi-regular basis) to explain the scientific research they are doing and the scientific findings that comes out of that research?

Would you rather have NASA just quietly publish their findings in a journal without having the general public get easy access to the info -- both through the live stream of the press conference and through questions asked by the media in attendance?

Nah.. I rather all the good stuff be thrown out when it happens, right when it happens. Otherwise it's like sitting in a really boring conference where you drink a pot of coffee just to stay awake.

It's like watching a documentary that builds upon building to get a point at the very end where you find that no real information was presented and you just spent 1.5 hours of wasted time when you could have gotten more information on the topic in 5 minutes by just googling it.

The problem with that is the scientific journals (in the case, the Journal "Nature") and the people publishing the papers in these journals do not want information out until the journals are published, because (in broad general terms) others groups working on similar research may attempt to steal the work, or specific insights into that research, and call it their own.

These groups work mostly from grant money (Money from NASA or other institutions/agencies), and the people making the most and largest discoveries get more grant money. So that means that those groups would keep the information they gather "close to their vest" until they are ready to publish their findings and conclusions.

Sounds like a broken system to me.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Recommend a better one then?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

more like common sense..

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Habitable zone - for Earth type life. There could be many forms of life that evolve outside that zone and also be intelligent for all we know.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join