It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Has Made A Huge Discovery About Planets Outside Our Solar System

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I haven't decided if NASA uses the WikiLeaks PR model or WikiLeaks uses the NASA PR model.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I hope it is something other then another possible goldilock planet a 1000 lightyears away.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I haven't decided if NASA uses the WikiLeaks PR model or WikiLeaks uses the NASA PR model.

Again, please note that NASA did not use any hyperbole in announcing this press conference, nor do they usually use such words on the other semi-regular occasions that they announce these press conferences.

Instead, NASA's announcement was this matter-of-fact statement:

NASA will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 22, to present new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets. The event will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website

The words "Huge Discovery" came from Yahoo (probably for click bait purposes), not NASA.

NASA simply said the press conference was scheduled to "present new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun."

edit on 2017-2-21 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
So... NASA has announced that they have an announcement?

Then....

NASA announces that it's really dark in space!

Man I'm tired of reading those.

It's not dark in space. Or how would we have light years??

Or is the speed of dark faster than the speed of light?

And if so, then is dark matter actually dark? Or a brilliant white light, that we can't see for all the dark stuff getting to us before it?

And will the black hole sun ever really wash away the rain?

Oo

I should be an astrophysicist.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I think NASA has discovered that the planets orbit suns, just like the solar system we live in...

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: savemebarry

Then....

And if so, then is dark matter actually dark? Or a brilliant white light, that we can't see for all the dark stuff getting to us before it?

Oo

lol

Touche' my friend.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Another hyped up press conference I see....

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

Then....

So you don't think NASA should hold these occasional press conferences (which they hold on a semi-regular basis) to explain the scientific research they are doing and the scientific findings that comes out of that research?

Would you rather have NASA just quietly publish their findings in a journal without having the general public get easy access to the info -- both through the live stream of the press conference and through questions asked by the media in attendance?

Nah.. I rather all the good stuff be thrown out when it happens, right when it happens. Otherwise it's like sitting in a really boring conference where you drink a pot of coffee just to stay awake.

It's like watching a documentary that builds upon building to get a point at the very end where you find that no real information was presented and you just spent 1.5 hours of wasted time when you could have gotten more information on the topic in 5 minutes by just googling it.
edit on 21-2-2017 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Exactly what we need, to find Aliens, so our divisions here can be dissolved once and for all!

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Nasa's announcement, "We have not discovered 345 planets, but 346!"

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Then....

Oo

Maybe like the way the moon appears bigger when it's on the horizon because the curve of the earth acts like a magnifying lens, then maybe, all the gravity wells out in space is making objects in space appear much further away than it actually is.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Must be new fiscal year budget time!
edit on 21-2-2017 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
NASA Has Made A Huge Discovery About Planets Outside Our Solar System

Has NASA found evidence of life in space? Some of the world's leading voices on life beyond Earth will gather for a NASA press conference Wednesday where an important announcement on planets outside our solar system was expected to be made, NASA announced Monday. Exoplanets are widely believed to be the best hope of finding life elsewhere in the universe.

NASA vowed to broadcast the announcement featuring astronomers and planetary scientists from across the world on NASA Television and the agency's website. The space agency was encouraging the public to ask questions during the briefing on Twitter using the hashtag #askNASA.

The announcement comes as NASA has also been working to send a lander to Europa, Jupiter’s ice moon, to explore the potential for extraterrestrial life. The project includes determining whether life can thrive on Europa.

The full press release about Wednesday's major announcement titled "NASA to Host News Conference on Discovery Beyond Our Solar System" can be found below:

"NASA will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 22, to present new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets. The event will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

Details of these findings are embargoed by the journal Nature until 1 p.m.

Click link for story..

some interesting news coming out of NASA again.... We have seen these announcements before but this one looks promising. Guess we will find out Wednesday whats up.

I wonder how long would it take to get a spacecraft to Europa. I don't understand why we haven't been able to build a light speed capable craft yet, anyways.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

very interesting, top scientists from around the world, discoveries of findings from exoplanets, also the date is really nice to,
22/02/2017....... could be some exciting news coming our way.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Why can't they just state the info then plan a bigger conference in a few days for more background and questions.

Not as exciting I suppose.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

Then....

So you don't think NASA should hold these occasional press conferences (which they hold on a semi-regular basis) to explain the scientific research they are doing and the scientific findings that comes out of that research?

Would you rather have NASA just quietly publish their findings in a journal without having the general public get easy access to the info -- both through the live stream of the press conference and through questions asked by the media in attendance?

Nah.. I rather all the good stuff be thrown out when it happens, right when it happens. Otherwise it's like sitting in a really boring conference where you drink a pot of coffee just to stay awake.

It's like watching a documentary that builds upon building to get a point at the very end where you find that no real information was presented and you just spent 1.5 hours of wasted time when you could have gotten more information on the topic in 5 minutes by just googling it.

The problem with that is the scientific journals (in the case, the Journal "Nature") and the people publishing the papers in these journals do not want information out until the journals are published, because (in broad general terms) others groups working on similar research may attempt to steal the work, or specific insights into that research, and call it their own.

These groups work mostly from grant money (Money from NASA or other institutions/agencies), and the people making the most and largest discoveries get more grant money. So that means that those groups would keep the information they gather "close to their vest" until they are ready to publish their findings and conclusions.

edit on 2017-2-21 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Then....

Oo

Maybe like the way the moon appears bigger when it's on the horizon because the curve of the earth acts like a magnifying lens, then maybe, all the gravity wells out in space is making objects in space appear much further away than it actually is.

The Moon on the horizon is NOT bigger than the Moon in the sky. Our brains might think it looks bigger, but it is an optical illusion, possibly due to how our brains perceive the sizes of things relative to the other things around it.

If you were to measure the "big looking" Moon on the horizon (by holding a ruler or something else at arm's length in front of you), then measure it again later that night when the Moon is high in the sky and smaller-looking, then you would see that the Moon was the same size each time you measured it.

Here are a couple good videos about this Moon Illusion:

edit on 2017/2/21 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

Ahhhh, Never A Straight Answer... Can't wait

If some major discovery, do we believe they actually share to share, or share because its no longer hidable and want to take credit? God I'm cynical, lol..

Well, Never A Simple Answer, perhaps... considering that ice particles and camera glitches need complicated detailed explanations for some people who cannot understand technology or physics..

Or it's... Aliens.

You never know. I mean, they DID cut their live ISS feed after 6 UFOs were spotted passing by.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

If some major discovery, do we believe they actually share to share, or share because its no longer hidable and want to take credit? God I'm cynical, lol..

Well, Never A Simple Answer, perhaps... considering that ice particles and camera glitches need complicated detailed explanations for some people who cannot understand technology or physics..

Or it's... Aliens.

You never know. I mean, they DID cut their live ISS feed after 6 UFOs were spotted passing by.

Well, that could have just been lights (cities and such) on the night-side of the Earth below them.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain

originally posted by: LSU0408

Or it's... Aliens.

Well, that could have just been lights (cities and such) on the night-side of the Earth below them.

Light bulbs, lit and large...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join