It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The health risk of having a gun in the home

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This article confirms what I have seen in my 48 years of living in this country (and out of it). SImply put, guns are dangerous, and for most people the danger of having them around is greater than the alleged benefits. As far as I can tell, the number one safety factor is living in a "good" area. For example, growing up in the suburbs outside of Seattle, I almost never saw guns growing up, and only knew one person who regularly carried one, yet it was one of the safest areas of the country.

In contrast a lot of conservatives from conservative areas, and I don't mean wealthy conservative areas, claim to need guns regularly for self defense. The obvious conclusion is that they are greatly exaggerating, which is pretty likely since they tend to exaggerate everything, or that being around conservatives is dangerous. One of these people who told me that he needed a weapon to scare people away from his house several times was a native American living in a very poor small town on an indian reservation. Other places where there really do seem to be "bad guys" salivating to attack someone include inner cities, and some very conservative areas like Kentucky.

If you don't live in one of these areas, then you are most likely putting yourself and your family members at risk by having guns around- especially children. Children are constantly getting killed or killing others by accident because of guns being available.

www.minnpost.com...

On the other hand, if you live in a prosperous area, you don't have much to worry about. For example, the city where my sister lives has a murder rate of zero. They know all their neighbors and never have any crime, even though it is a fairly dense suburb. It doesn't make much sense to have a gun there unless you plan to go hunting.

www.areavibes.com...

Also, in my 48 years I've never needed a gun, and I don't know anyone who's been killed or even injured due to not having one. You have more chance of being killed in a car wreck than of being killed in violent crime- especially if you aren't a drug dealer.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
You can spend the rest of your life with two guns in your house or two live venomous snakes.

Choose wisely.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't think you need either of those things.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

To many "accidents" happen when people think they are protecting. It is really hard to justify owning a weapon that can end up in the hands of a young child and take a life.

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I'll take the risk, you stay gun free, just don't tell me I should live as you live.

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Get over it already.

It is a part of the constitution.

If you don't like it ... change the Second Amendment.

Otherwise ... stop with the bellyaching. There is a way of changing it, so get off your backside.

In their wisdom, the founding fathers gave you guns. Way to go!

Sleep peacefully knowing that no military force in the world can take your country.

Even if you refuse to admit it, you are safer because your neighbors have guns.

Please ... stop with the gun whining.

P

edit on 20/2/2017 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure the danger is relative to the stupidity of those in the home......just spitballin.

However you get points for bringing up old arguments!

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You can spend the rest of your life with two guns in your house or two live venomous snakes.

Choose wisely.

I'll take the guns.

Your new avatar scares the living S out me!!

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: peaceonearth332211

To many "accidents" happen when people think they are protecting. It is really hard to justify owning a weapon that can end up in the hands of a young child and take a life.

There is a thing called personal responsibility ya know?

You can leave your medicine out and a child could take it and harm themselves or worse if you're not responsible.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: floppynoodleson666
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't think you need either of those things.

And you are free not to have them.

That's the beauty of having your right to defend yourself and your property protected in the COTUS.

But my point is that the gun is a non-living, inanimate object. All things being equal, it is no more hazardous to your or anyone else than the average end table. It cannot get up on its own and go off looking for people to shoot.

The snakes, on the other hand, are autonomous living things who can and will move around the house all on their own and will defend themselves if you forget to stay out of their way. They actually constitute more of a present and continuous threat to your life and limb than the gun does.

Of course, nothing protects you from your own stupidity and carelessness which is where the danger of a tool like a gun is really to be found.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
If they took the guns away from people around here, there are some people that would start to rob homes. I have no doubt about that, I know the people around here. What is stopping them now? Most people have guns in their houses. Can the police protect us? Not really, the cops feel better when good people have guns, it makes their job easier, lots less crime.

I haven't heard of any kids around here who have accidently shot themselves in many years. A guy shot his kid when he was drunk, he wasn't happy with his teenage kid. That was a tragedy. It was not the gun that shot the kid, it was the father. The kid was gut shot with a shotgun. He died waiting for another liver about a year later.

Yes, there are things that happen, but the father may have just killed him with a knife too. I can think of hundreds of things that can be used as a weapon, but a gun works best against criminals with a gun if they break in.

Start living in the real world, if you take the guns from the honest people, the criminals will still have guns. There are people who want us totally dependent on the government for protection, this way they can control us with fear.

If you do not want a gun, you have the right not to own a gun. You are safer if the criminals do not know you do not have one though.
edit on 20-2-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
If there's any chance of a natural disaster where you live, you might want to have access to a gun. Just get a safe if you have kids that don't know what a real gun is.

See what happened in New Orleans, good neighborhoods and bad after hurricane Katrina.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
the risk goes down if you have a trigger lock, or a gun safe.

I live 5 miles away from Sandy Hook and it is by any definition a paradise around here, high income, great schools, quiet streets.

Life is dangerous, you are never really totally safe

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Some of the firearms in my house have been in my family for generations, never once did they hurt any of the owners.
edit on 20-2-2017 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I live in an area that's a mix of very wealthy and very poor. Everyone I know has guns, and I'm sure most of the people I don't also have multiple guns. I've never heard of anyone getting shot around here, even though you hear guns going off all the time. Use common sense and know how to handle, care for, and store weapons and it's highly unlikely that you'll ever suffer a tragic accident.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
This article confirms what I have seen in my 48 years of living in this country (and out of it). SImply put, guns are dangerous, and for most people the danger of having them around is greater than the alleged benefits. As far as I can tell, the number one safety factor is living in a "good" area. For example, growing up in the suburbs outside of Seattle, I almost never saw guns growing up, and only knew one person who regularly carried one, yet it was one of the safest areas of the country.

In contrast a lot of conservatives from conservative areas, and I don't mean wealthy conservative areas, claim to need guns regularly for self defense. The obvious conclusion is that they are greatly exaggerating, which is pretty likely since they tend to exaggerate everything, or that being around conservatives is dangerous. One of these people who told me that he needed a weapon to scare people away from his house several times was a native American living in a very poor small town on an indian reservation. Other places where there really do seem to be "bad guys" salivating to attack someone include inner cities, and some very conservative areas like Kentucky.

If you don't live in one of these areas, then you are most likely putting yourself and your family members at risk by having guns around- especially children. Children are constantly getting killed or killing others by accident because of guns being available.

www.minnpost.com...

On the other hand, if you live in a prosperous area, you don't have much to worry about. For example, the city where my sister lives has a murder rate of zero. They know all their neighbors and never have any crime, even though it is a fairly dense suburb. It doesn't make much sense to have a gun there unless you plan to go hunting.

www.areavibes.com...

Also, in my 48 years I've never needed a gun, and I don't know anyone who's been killed or even injured due to not having one. You have more chance of being killed in a car wreck than of being killed in violent crime- especially if you aren't a drug dealer.

So what I got out of that is that you don't understand basic gun safety because you grew up ignorant of it, living in a liberal area is "good", conservatives exaggerate crime rates, you do too because where your sister lives has a buttload of violent crime according to the link you posted, you get the creeps about Native Americans like myself and you have no clue about what drives crime in inner cities.

Thank you for posting your opinion. I've been trying to "cut the fat", as it were, with people that I wish to reply to on this site. You just happen to be first on my list of people that don't actually count.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I've got 7 guns.

They're bad for my health?

Just wood and metal. Some gun oil.

I've not broken out with some rash. I don't recall getting sick at all after handling any of the guns, and I've broken them down, cleaned them, repaired them.

No one else in my house has suffered any sickness that I can think of with them.

Of course all my children are grown except my youngest son, and when he was little the guns were kept locked up and out of reach, but when he was old enough to learn, he was trained by me and a range master about gun safety and how to use each gun properly and safely. In fact, several of the guns belong to him.

Can't recall him getting sick either.

Maybe what's really hurting people is irresponsibility, stupidity and carelessness?

Just a guess.

Can't see it being the guns though. Pretty sure they've not been doing anything on their own.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

It was not the gun that shot the kid, it was the father

You completely missed the point. If the father didn't have guns then the kid would probably still be alive. He probably would have hit him which is still bad, but he wouldn't be dead.

So much for pro-life, it's a scam like I always say.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

there has been at least one firearm in every house that i have ever lived in for 55 years.
never once has anyone been hurt by one that has lived there, there were two occasions where a unwelcome guest developed a upset stomach, followed by diarrhea, and a pissing spell though.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

where your sister lives has a buttload of violent crime according to the link you posted

88 out of 100,000 people is a buttload of crime?? That's less than 1/10 of 1 percent chance of being a victim of violent crime, and 0% chance of being murdered.

That's the problem, gun worshippers can't do math, or logical thinking apparently.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join