It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Want to Learn About Neuroscience.... Book Club Style?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Each year, I try to pick a topic to study & learn about throughout the year. They've been topics ranging from Food Science to Astrophysics & Comparative Anatomy to Comparative Religion. Anyway, I stumbled across this online textbook from the University of Texas- Houston about neuroscience. It seems there are quite a few threads to which neuroscience might be pertinent. Because Neuroscience can be tough, I thought maybe someone out there would like to learn, discuss, debate, etc...with me... kind of like a Book Club??

Here's the link to the book: nba.uth.tmc.edu...

Any takers??

Don't be afraid to join in even if you feel like you're not "up to date" on biology. Visitors are, of course, welcome to drop by with additional info pertinent to the current discussion (ie: the chapter we're on).

See ya soon!
~LB

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
im in

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleBurgh

I've read Michu Kaku's The Future of the Mind. Maybe a good one for your reading list. He does a good job of using very simple terminology a laymen can understand.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Attentionwandered

Thanks! I think I've read it but I'll check the list. I must have it around here somewhere since I'm a big fan of Michigan Kaku. I'll give it another look to refresh my mind.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Yea!!! Thanks for joining the brain party!!! I'll leave this thread up for a week (give or take) so whomever is interested can start reading Chapter One. We'll go slow until we get a feel for how fast/slow is a good pace for anyone else interested.
Thanks again for reading along with me! It's great to have someone to bounce ideas off.

I'm having back surgery this week so by next week, I should be feeling conversational.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I love this idea!!! I'm in!

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Sounds cool... I will give my best shot. I am making no promises though. I have full time school, work, and kids. I will love to see what comes of these threads. I really enjoy the study of neuro-science.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Lolliek

Yea!! Welcome aboard!!

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: cre8chaos

I understand busy & you're welcome anytime. You might not be able to read the whole book....Heck, I'm not sure I can read the whole book...but it'll be good to learn what we can both from the book & each other.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Okay, here's in link to the intro & Chapter 1. (the intro is a little boring) Read as you can, jot down notes or questions and post them here. We want to make sure everyone is comfortable with the book before getting to the good part....the brain!! If it's too much, we'll find another one.

nba.uth.tmc.edu...

Back surgery tomorrow. Will be back in a few days. Happy reading!!

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Hi, I'm back!!

My back surgery went fine but I developed some breathing issues that kept me in the hospital for another week. I would say I could read & learn while hanging out in bed but quite frankly, they had me pretty seriously dosed to keep me still. I don't remember much of anything except there was alot of apple juice. So, I'm almost caught up through Chapter 1. Everyone about there too? Anyone have any thoughts or questions to talk about? Go for it!!

~LB

top topics

join