It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Acting Profession and Dissociation Disorders

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
As per my usual threads, only people who appreciate complex thinking, science and a naturalistic explanation of reality will appreciate what I have to write.

If you listen to the empirical evidences of the sciences, Humans have learned that we live in a

• Processual universe. This means that we and everything that exists is made out of matter in motion. I cannot stress this point enough. If you do not subscribe to this understanding of reality (metaphysics, or ontology), you are essentially denying reality. Denying quantum physics, denying the complexity sciences, denying systems biology, systems psychology and sociology. If you cannot accept that you are a biodynamical system that has emerged within natures natural processes, you are kidding yourself. You simply don't know this because you haven't been brought into awareness of it. And since the society we live within trains us in our stereotypical ways of responding - by activating feelings and needs that this society is careful not to normalize as an object of actual conversation - and so reflection - you are simply not living with reference to how reality - your body, brain, and consciousness - actually works.

We are not "things", but PHENOMENA

This is an important reference point for sane thinking - a link to the "processual metaphysics" that allows us to think about social issues in a sane and ontologically accurate way: a way that is accountable - responsive - to the empirical evidences of our natural sciences.

When you take a processual understanding of what we are and how we construct reality, many popular issues today strike one as profoundly deluded i.e. out of touch with a processual metaphysics. These issues arise, furthermore, from the propagation of a fantasy metaphysics that has no basis in actual reality i.e. both the world we interface, its dynamical patterning, and how we ourselves - our minds - emerge through the dynamics of that patterning.

"Essentialism" - the ontological basis of individualism, is a Human delusion - a fantasy - that is only believed to be true by people who reference reality in wrong (i.e. dualistic) ways. For instance, since modern physics, biology and the brain sciences have come to understand Human consciousness to be an emergent product of large-scale activity of billions of interacting neurons - particularly the pre-frontal and dorsolateral aspects of the frontal lobe - it is no longer possible to speak of consciousness as being independent of the brain when neurologists and neurpsychologists have established beyond any doubt that loss of structure has corresponding losses on the nature of conscious experience. Indeed, some people with only half a hemisphere - as a result of a hemispheroctomy as a treatment for uncontrollable epilepsy - display remarkable "integration" of consciousness, yet indicate those tell-tale losses that come with only half a brain. For instance, a person with only a left-hemisphere will be particularly focused and attentive to the world in terms of linear cause-effect relations. Mind you - emotions work - but in different ways. A person with just a left hemisphere - the language hemisphere - will be inclined towards those same 'attractors' that come naturally with Human experience, but will achieve that state very differently from someone with a right-hemisphere (where emotion is mostly lateralized). Conversely, a person with just a right hemisphere (same operation, just the problem is on the left side instead of the right), the world and others are related to in a much more holistic way, but with corresponding difficulties in following the linear, sequential, delineation of relations.

This is irrefutable proof that consciousness is 'shaped' by the brain - and the consciousness you get - it must be understood - has NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR OWN CHOICE. There is no 'homunculus' standing outside 'willing' or 'volunteering' to be one way or another. Rather, the brain - its structure, itself a function of relations with the environment, determines the feelings you feel and the interpretations you give to them.

Why Acting Promotes Dissociation

Actors have got to be some of the most epistemologically naive minds there are. A simple question: what crafts consciousness - i.e. the brain? Emotion. Emotion is not simply something that we feel or something that makes "life worth living". Emotion is also a sculpting mechanism of the brain, and so there is nothing neutral - no "standing back" - from pretending to be other people, with their emotions, and imaging that when the day's acting is over, you can somehow "return to being you".

It is the myth of a "unitary actor" - a person who acts, that creates the naive conviction that acting doesn't mess with your consciousness by creating 'unbridged' experiences of self - neurological attractors - that are themselves not simply linked to the plot, setting and storyline of a particular character within an imaginary world - but with the feelings you have as you attempt to play the character.

In other words, there is an intense 'externality' in the mind of the actor to their own self-experirence as a Human being i.e. to their own history and development into a person with particular feelings, sensitivities and motivations. In other words, the actor seems more concerned about being other people, than being their own selves.

I feel only someone with a processual and natural understanding of reality can appreciate what sort of internal mis-wirings and subsequent confusion of consciousness (i.e. untenable philosophical beliefs) when a mind continuously constructs itself according to unrealistic ideals, based upon a singular focus on fantasy and the spectacle, all the while dissociating - existing out of touch - with the actual cause-effect dynamics that underlie the construction of their actual minds.

To be an actor, in other words, is not sufficient in itself to be a cause of massive-dissociation - and thus, hypocrisy, inconsistency, and multiplicitly in perspective. It is theoretically possible to have a "self-state" that functions at the top of hierarchical system of self-experience, such that acting and the effects of it on the self is limited to the contexts in which it is carried out. However, this is a very complicated intellectual and cognitive configuration that entails being very educated, and motivated to understand your self in terms of your changing structure. Suffice to say, the pedophilia and wanton consumerism of many within hollywood does not support this way of being, and so, instead of using acting responsibly, it is now a days used in exactly the sorts of ways that would make Donald Trump, his cult of "alternative facts", and a general disconnection from actual reality, a dynamically potentiated possibility.

Nothing happens in a "void". There is a culture of totalitarianism within minds before it materializes within society.

• posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 04:00 PM
    link   
    The best actors are those that were forced to pretend a lot when they were young. They had to act like their parents wanted them to, do what they do and pretend to like it, or else.

As far as stillness you're right everything is in motion relative to everything else. We can still be at rest within our soul, develop inner calm.

Be still and know.
    edit on 20-2-2017 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 04:05 PM
    link   
    I'm a professional actor, doing it for years. I'm to the right, I have to keep that a secret or I wouldn't work much. The best acting I've come across is from politicians. They become the person that they think people want to hear. That's why they flip flop on so many things.

Great post, not with you on everything but enough for a star and flag

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 04:05 PM
    link   
    Don't you think by the large quantity of theoretical science is taboo on atleast from my point of few, half way reading the thread it is hard to follow what kind of direction you are actually trying to go to is it your own text or is just copy and paste ? as it seems that the large equality if your oppinionating quotes like Processual universe has lack of evidence as no one can actually look in the universe so it's kind hard at least for me to understand that according to the claim everything has motion to in fact believe as i do not see everything move within the realm i life in.

i quote If you do not subscribe to this understanding of reality (metaphysics, or ontology), you are essentially denying reality.

Which is such a arrogant and blindsided statement as you refuse to make up the own creative mind... have you actually seen matter in motion or just a have been told to ? if the various points where the actuall truth i would have seen this thread by more insight and less arrogance.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 04:46 PM
    link   
    a reply to: Astrocyte

Everybody is an actor. Pick your character and play.

Many choose to be villains. Others choose to be heroes. Those who think they're neutral are the most dangerous villains.

That's mankind.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:13 PM
    link   

Would you hate me if I said I liked what Trump stands for and I don't know about totalitarianism but I think Trump seems pretty fair and he could grab my taboothinginsociety if he was free to do so but he's not because he has a wife and if I were her I would be proud.

Well?

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:29 PM
    link   

originally posted by: geezlouise

Would you hate me if I said I liked what Trump stands for and I don't know about totalitarianism but I think Trump seems pretty fair and he could grab my taboothinginsociety if he was free to do so but he's not because he has a wife and if I were her I would be proud.

Well?
    thats the reason i think it is hard to gasp why such a illuminating media figure is becoming president ce vice to say that it is obviously stages that such man with lack of intelligence and full of thosteron can actually be a leading country his representative it is a laughing stock first class who actually believe he was ellected fairly

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:00 PM
    link   
    a reply to: TarzanBeta

I prefer to be a villain, I think of myself as a villain. But I've been forced to live in the role of a hero.

It's terribly conflicting.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:04 PM
    link   

Well?

Geez Louise, you naughty girl.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:10 PM
    link   

originally posted by: Whynotman

Well?
    thats the reason i think it is hard to gasp why such a illuminating media figure is becoming president ce vice to say that it is obviously stages that such man with lack of intelligence and full of thosteron can actually be a leading country his representative it is a laughing stock first class who actually believe he was ellected fairly

Thats one theory. They don't really want someone in the white house that can actually change things. So they appointed Trump.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:34 PM
    link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
    a reply to: TarzanBeta

I prefer to be a villain, I think of myself as a villain. But I've been forced to live in the role of a hero.

It's terribly conflicting.

All of us start out as villains. One can be a hero only when they understand the suffering of the villain.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:07 PM
    link   
    I think op has strange fire as a offering ...

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:09 PM
    link   
    I think we all act to a certain extent. We all hold back anger, sadness, embarrassment, etc. and substitute it with another emotion at times and for various reasons- even the most honest of us. Just try monitoring yourself to see how often you do it- you might be surprised. As far as pedophiles- ever check your zip code for sex offender neighbors and looked to see which ones are on the list for having child victims instead of adult victims? There are a lot of them. They are everywhere.

Sal

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:25 PM
    link   
    a reply to: geezlouise

Geezers Louise. ....I know how you got your name now. Glad to see you taking such a strong stand....you possessor of the "taboo thing" you. ...lol.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:26 PM
    link   
    I've been a professional actor since 04. I have been in over 100 movies and 50 TV shows. Now that I'm older the
    auditions have slowed down so now I work crew or director on other productions, or make my own feature length movies,
    commercials, training films, festival pieces, work as a stringer for news organizations including the Republican party and ESPN...basically freelance as a writer, cameraman, director, grip, gaffer, sound/boom...anything where the money is. btw...if you have ever watched "Breaking Bad" you have seen Olaru12 many times. Now in the prequel "Better Call Saul"....

If you are disgusted with the entertainment business, just turn it off and do something else.

Union Proud...Union Strong

www.sagaftra.org...
    www.iatse.net...

I love the artists in the film community. Sure we have big egos; no apologies. also....Trump is a member of SAG. so he's also an actor, he sure fooled a lot of people with his current role.

www.hollywoodreporter.com...

The opportunity to hang out with Natalie Portman, Jeff Bridges, Renee Zellweger, Bryan Cranston etc. and make more money than ever before...Livin the Dream. Beats the hell out of my first profession as a Retail store owner.

edit on 20-2-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:29 PM
    link   
    Have you seen The Giver? Jeff has a way.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:44 PM
    link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

I haven't seen it but I will on your recomendation!

Yes he does!! Worked with him in "Hell or Highwater" ....bearded geezer in a pick up, final scenes, background driver.

www.imdb.com...
    edit on 20-2-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 08:17 PM
    link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

I haven't seen it but I will on your recomendation!

Yes he does!! Worked with him in "Hell or Highwater" ....bearded geezer in a pick up, final scenes, background driver.

www.imdb.com...

We don't agree on many things here, but I have a feeling you're like home.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 08:53 PM
    link   

There's a lot of truth in what you're saying, but the most convincing lies are like that...

Your way of thinking is a sort of inside out, future dictating the past, physical dictating its forces, kind of thinking.

You should turn it right side out:

Ordering does not create order, it applies it.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:02 AM
    link   
    a reply to: intrptr

Gogo supreme court XD

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join