It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students, staff celebrate after school drops Michelle O lunch rules

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: WhateverYouSay
Surprise surprise, kids celebrate when they can start munching doritos and drinking cola.

Let us not forget kids are stupid and it's our job as adults to raise them right, not indulge their every whim. What a win for conservatives!

Our job as adults ...

Not the government's job.

I'm glad you agree with us conservatives.

Hey guess what? The government is composed of adults!

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
And as adults and parents you think this is great.

Pathetic.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

As kids we bagged our lunches, and the tradition continues.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Anybody ever noticed kids didn't ate those lunches? schools threw away that stuff by tons...

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
This is great news for the kids. Now get some soda vending machines in the hallways, next to the insulin vending machines.
We need to deregulate extra curricular activities too. Damn liberals!

My daughter became a juvenile diabetic or Type one, when she was 16, she weighed 112 pounds, JD has nothing to do with what you eat, your pancreas stops producing insulin,

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Surprise surprise, kids celebrate when they can start munching doritos and drinking cola.

Let us not forget kids are stupid and it's our job as adults to raise them right, not indulge their every whim. What a win for conservatives!

Our job as adults ...

Not the government's job.

I'm glad you agree with us conservatives.

Hey guess what? The government is composed of adults!

Adults who think it's their job to treat the rest of us adults like children.

Sorry, but I spent the first 18 years of my life growing up and learning to be a functional adult so that I could do all that "adulting" stuff ... like decide where to live, pay my bills and decide what to pay bills for (I'm looking at you ACA mandate), decide how to raise my kids (including what they eat, etc.) ... I did not spend all that time waiting just to exchange the guiding hands of my parents for the guiding hands of the governmental "mommies and daddies" to decide all those things for me.

Yeah, it means some people are going to make some pretty darn irresponsible decisions and need to ride around on the little electric trucks and Walmart and feed their kids crap. But it also means that some of us usually make a healthy meal for our kids to take and on the days we don't, we realize the trade-off is that they could be eating crap but we expect them to not be hungry enough to eat the entire fridge when they get home.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
And as adults and parents you think this is great.

Pathetic.

That's right you don't believe that parents should make the decision for their own children.

Pathetic.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You can't segue this into an "adults who think it's their job to treat the rest of us like children", because we're literally talking about children. If you make a lunch for your child, they can take it, this is about school provided lunches, and there is literally no benefit for those school lunches being anything other than healthy. If you want the freedom to be overweight and at risk for diabetes and heart disease you can do so at 18 when you graduate, like we do with smoking.
edit on 20-2-2017 by WhateverYouSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

School lunches have always been that way. Parents who cared always packed their kids a lunch.

It's a funny thing though, this obesity epidemic is a more recent phenomena. Maybe if the schools really cared, they'd go back to active, free play recesses and active gym classes for all?

And perhaps the overall culture needs to be changed instead of forcing diet rules on every kid that presupposes the kid is obese to start with and needs a drastic weight loss and aims for that amount of caloric intake.
Too simplistic. Obviously it's a much much larger issue than schools. However, a lot of low income kids rely on school breakfasts and lunches. They should have healthy options.

I've met the lobbyists who lobbied the gov for such things as "ketchup is a vegetable" to meet requirements. Even they were ashamed.

Many other countries have actual healthy foods for kids at school.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Don't you understand that the GOVERNMENT knows what is good for you, good for your kids, and good for America? Not only that, if you do not agree, the GOVERNMENT gets to tell you what to do, what to eat, and how to live your life. The reason is that you are TOO STUPID to know any better so by telling you what to do the GOVERNMENT is doing you a favor. But, of course, you're too stupid to realize that so all you do is complain. So you must be conservative.
Bad examples. For years the school lunches were horribly unhealthy and low quality. Don't be ridiculous and pretend nutritionists trying to change that is some form of tyranny.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

School lunches have always been that way. Parents who cared always packed their kids a lunch.

It's a funny thing though, this obesity epidemic is a more recent phenomena. Maybe if the schools really cared, they'd go back to active, free play recesses and active gym classes for all?

And perhaps the overall culture needs to be changed instead of forcing diet rules on every kid that presupposes the kid is obese to start with and needs a drastic weight loss and aims for that amount of caloric intake.
Too simplistic. Obviously it's a much much larger issue than schools. However, a lot of low income kids rely on school breakfasts and lunches. They should have healthy options.

They should have ONLY healthy options.

Some of the laws are ridiculous though. Better to adjust the laws to avoid waste.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I think that there should be a balance, kids are kids.

I have seen other countries school lunches and they put ours to shame. And the cost is in the same ball park.

In America everything is monetized, everything.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

For obesity America is 3rd under Mexico and the UK So perhaps take your stereotypes over there

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Free at last!

In the land of the free, use your freedom of choice.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: schuyler
Don't you understand that the GOVERNMENT knows what is good for you, good for your kids, and good for America? Not only that, if you do not agree, the GOVERNMENT gets to tell you what to do, what to eat, and how to live your life. The reason is that you are TOO STUPID to know any better so by telling you what to do the GOVERNMENT is doing you a favor. But, of course, you're too stupid to realize that so all you do is complain. So you must be conservative.
Bad examples. For years the school lunches were horribly unhealthy and low quality. Don't be ridiculous and pretend nutritionists trying to change that is some form of tyranny.

Proof's in the pudding. Kids won't eat the crap "nutritionists" say is healthy. They throw it away. The Nanny State telling you what to do IS THE DEFINITION OF TYRANNY. It;s not that nutritionists are "trying" to get people to eat what they think is right. They are FORCING people to eat what they think is right. Big difference and if you don't understand it you deserve to live in a state of tyranny yourself.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
wow kids wouldn`t eat things they didn`t like? who could have ever predicted that when they came up with the Obama school lunch?

it`s this kind of lack of foresight that makes the politicians in Washington look like they are completely out of touch with the real world.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

originally posted by: odzeandennz
This is great news for the kids. Now get some soda vending machines in the hallways, next to the insulin vending machines.
We need to deregulate extra curricular activities too. Damn liberals!

My daughter became a juvenile diabetic or Type one, when she was 16, she weighed 112 pounds, JD has nothing to do with what you eat, your pancreas stops producing insulin,

Really. im not refuting your case, nor will i go fetch you links to refute what you said.
Believe what you think. No sweat off my sack.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Healthy food isn't cheap.

I'm ok with taking away pop and fake juice. water costing money in a bottle is a joke.

Veggies taste like crap except when lathered in fat, salt, butter and meat.

IF you want children to eat healthy find a way to take away the pleasure of food.

Most weight gain I've seen of people I know myself included starts in late college, not in school.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev

Veggies taste like crap except when lathered in fat, salt, butter and meat.

My kid eats a lot of raw, uncooked veggies.

No salt, butter, . . .

He's now 9.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Mine, too. She can eat a tomato like an apple, and adores chard. She's starting kindergarten next year, and I don't know what to expect with school lunches. If it's all the tater tots, chicken nuggets, and disgusting over-boiled broccoli popular when I was in school, I definitely won't inflict that on her.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join