It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Oliver: Funny Expose on How Trump Genuflects to Putin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Shut up swine and move to Russia.

originally posted by: Talorc
Liberals who buy into this Russia crap are such sniveling little pigs. The same people who used to call out neocon warmongers for using propaganda and making other countries into "enemies of America."

Keep it up little piggies. Maybe you'll get the war your asking for and it won't go your way after all.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Also hilarious how this mediocre late-night TV clown tries to sh*t on Tolstoy toward the end of the segment.

A crass little snickering buffoon critiquing some of the highest in world literature.

Really highlights the extent of American intelligence in action, most of the audience who laughed at that joke probably don't know who he is much less have read him.

Whatever though, it's always been known that the common low-minded churl has an extremely low capacity for humor beyond crass inanities.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I've elaborated in greater length about this topic in other threads but just because you've asked politely, I will humor you.

I will take Trevor Noah as a perfect example.

Trevor Noah who has been the host of The Daily Show on Comedy Central (Viacom) for more than a year, has his comedy rooted in social justice up front where as Jon Stewert's version of fake news (remember that term used to be applied to Stewart, Colbert, The Onion.com, etc) was rooted in what I will call anti establishment absurdism.

This kind of absurdist approach was the perfect angle to spearhead The Daily Show, and much of the content on Comedy Central ten years ago. It allowed for Stewert to apply his own liberal philosophy to a broader audience because John Stewert could criticize either side of the aisle and most often the punchlines of his jokes created this reaction in his audience where they laughed at the absurdity in the establishment politics and in the establishment media, more than the events & politicians themselves. It actually allowed for more creativity in his comedy, and John Stewert used to actually attack the media the same way that President Trump has, only actually doing so more articulately and with the freedom of being a comedian and not a journalist.

Jon Stewert actually helped foster the environment for the Alt Right to proliferate, there I said it.

Trevor Noah on the other hand, is being extremely friendly with the establishment media that espouses the same political agenda that he does, rather than point out the blatant degradation of journalistic integrity across the entire MSM, an angle that Stewert used as his central theme. Trevor Noah's entire identity as a comedian is dependent upon social justice. He even says this himself in an NPR interview, that because he grew up as a mixed child in South Africa during apartheid, he is uniquely qualified to comment and criticize what he sees as the systemic racism of American culture. It makes his comedy centrally focused on a single partisan ideology which then makes the actual points he is trying to make appear contrived.

And to his credit, I actually like Trevor Noah a lot, I think he is extremely talented and his background does make him and his approach uniquely different in terms of conventional American media be it journalism or entertainment. Unfortunately for him, he's not that funny without the identity politics to latch onto.

Part of this problem with Noah and The Daily Show comes from a much larger social construct, and that is where Conservatism used to be the mainstream culture and Liberalism used to be the counter culture. Now, due to reasons that are far above Noah or you or I or anyone's head, the cultural & ideological divide in this country has changed the environment in which comedy can exist. The last 8 years we saw Neo Liberalism become both mainstream and popular culture, this created an environment for Conservatism to become counter culture (the beginnings of the Alt Right).

Look at Trevor Noah, and Larry Wilmore, and then look at Matt Stone & Trey Parker of South Park. Look at the fundamental difference in their approach, each are derived from what they think is funniest to them and in the case of Matt & Trey, they believe that absurdism transcends everything in comedy. By sticking with absurdism as the impetus to laughter, they've managed to stay completely relevant without having to define themselves and their comedy politically. That's why South Park has been around for 20 years, and it is why Trevor will become irrelevant, I'm afraid.

Sincerely,

A non party affiliate fan who is concerned for the future of comedy

edit on 2/20/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
LOL!! I started laughing when I read your sentence that states "it's always been known that the common low-minded churl has an extremely low capacity for humor beyond crass inanities." Please!!!!! The fact that you completely missed the point and the fact that he was joking about Russian novels reinforces your statement about yourself.

Also hilarious how this mediocre late-night TV clown tries to sh*t on Tolstoy toward the end of the segment.

A crass little snickering buffoon critiquing some of the highest in world literature.

Really highlights the extent of American intelligence in action, most of the audience who laughed at that joke probably don't know who he is much less have read him.

Whatever though, it's always been known that the common low-minded churl has an extremely low capacity for humor beyond crass inanities.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Once again the OP is proof-positive of American intelligence in action. Can't come up with a decent rebuttal, highly reflexive and compulsive in every response. Simpletons have a low capacity for real humor, therefore popular American comedy like this is extremely crude and base. If late-night TV hosts were to employ real wit and irony, they'd have no audience. Simpletons have no sense of subtlety, after all.

Every star he gets is just a signal that one more low-minded churl has been triggered.
edit on 20-2-2017 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Yawn.....your pompous prose is old. Get over yourself.

Once again the OP is proof-positive of American intelligence in action. Can't come up with a decent rebuttal, highly reflexive and compulsive in every response. Simpletons have a low capacity for real humor, therefore popular American comedy like this is extremely crude and base. If late-night TV hosts were to employ real wit and irony, they'd have no audience. Simpletons have no sense of subtlety, after all.

Every star he gets is just a signal that one more low-minded churl has been triggered.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Comedy is funny because there is an element of truth to it. This "comedy" is just Democrat party propaganda based on their conspiracy theories. There is no truth to it, thus it is not funny.

So it's not true that Flynn resigned? Because that's in the first 20 secs of the video.
(facepalm)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I am so glad I don't have cable and not susceptible to propaganda served up by people like John(I started my career on the daily show) Oliver. I really feel sorry for people like the OP and anyone who has this kind of toxic thinking burn its way through the retinas right into the frontal lobe like a light induced lobotomy.
You got some drool... Right there.
*points*

top topics

<< 1   >>

join