It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advertising on AboveTopSecret.com Will Help Literacy Efforts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The original idea of bidding out ad space on eBay is evolving into a regular program to divert a percentage of all banner ad income to the charity... more coming soon.

AboveTopSecret.com Is Offering Ad Space to Aid Literacy Efforts

AboveTopSecret.com will begin using our popularity and advertising space to aid a highly-worthy charity with a global focus: www.proliteracy.org... ebay auction Our motto of Deny Ignorance has served us well over the past 18 months as a rallying cry to help focus discussion on quality analysis of important topics. Because of the broad range and quality of topics in our discussion forums, our popularity and traffic has increased beyond our original expectations. Now it's time to consider how we might use our popularity to extend the efforts of our members beyond the simple "cyber borders" of this online community. There are dozens of highly regarded international charities we could have targeted that may be more "fashionable" than one with a focus on global literacy. However, none fit with our core motto any better. How can one "deny ignorance" if they're unable to read? Beginning February 1, 2005, we are starting a process where interested advertisers can bid on premium fix-placement advertising space on our domains. The advertising inventory is a large banner (728x90 pixels) "above the fold" on every page except forums threads (where it will be at the bottom). Included domains are www.abovetopsecret.com, www.abovetopsecret.com/forum, www.belowtopsecret.com, politics.abovetopsecret.com, atsnn.com, and terroranalysis.com. The banners will be seen by over 1 million unique monthly users. Total impressions will exceed 7 million. 100% of the proceeds of the advertising for this new premium ad will be channeled directly to the ProLiteracy charity. If this is successful, it will become a permanent fixture of ATS, offering monthly advertising to the highest bidder. We will be careful to screen potential advertisers and their ads so that we continue the efforts of high our standards. Now... we just might be able to help.
[edit on 24-2-2005 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Amazing SkepticOverlord

www.proliteracy.org... is a very worth cause!

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The ATS community is like no other. Though we as a community do not alays agree with each others opinions, we will always come together in the face of a crisis. The ad system for charity is just another example of how ATS goes above and beyond the call of deny ignorance.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
excellent choice of charity
I am sure this will be a successful venture for all.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This is excellent! Now our posts carry a whole new message to the world around us...

I knew the big announcement was going to be advertising or marketing related....

I can't think of a better cause!

[edit on 1/31/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Well, I must say as soon I saw the word "advertising", I was a little disappointed.

But then...I saw it was for a worthwhile charity. Even 10 cents from every dollar is an awesome gesture, particularly since running the site isn't free of costs.

And then...
100% of all revenues from the ad ...will be channeled directly to the ProLiteracy charity.

Top marks to Simon, SO, and all involved in this fantastic and incredibly generous idea.

[edit on 2005/1/31 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
A good cause certainly.

Has there been an investigation of the charity? How much of their collections are spent on operations cost, and how much more money do they receive in revenues as a result of their expenditures?

Regardless a good cause.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan Has there been an investigation of the charity? How much of their collections are spent on operations cost, and how much more money do they receive in revenues as a result of their expenditures?
On these factors, this is CharityWatch.org's #1 international literacy charity.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
What a wonderful idea. We can actually do some "real world" good by simply contributing to ATS. I can't think of a better use of our popularity. Thumbs-up to you Simon and SO.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
brilliant SO

ATS is a force for good

[edit on 31-1-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Excellent. I'm impressed.

...and congratulations on your financial success with ats.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Very Nice..

Even though I like this community before.

This project has made me respect it much much more.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
On these factors, this is CharityWatch.org's #1 international literacy charity.

Hey now! Number 1 is pretty good eh!

Waitaminute, I just realized, this whole thing is going to seriously interfere with my plan to do absolutely nothing! I mean, indirectly, I'll be serving a , yuck, purpose.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Literacy is good, better than the other option.

Great to take the time to find the one with global focus.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Thats an excellent idea

The more people become literate, the more will join ATS, that means more will read my story, I will get millions of points, boot Fred off top spot and take over the world

Either that or I'll get

Seriously though (Pisky being serious ? - must be something in the water
) Its an outstanding contribution to improving the literacy (and hence the lifestyle) of millions of people.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Excellent idea, im all for promoting Literacy especially in myself

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Great thinking Simon, SO, and all the other involes

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Well done ATS a worthy cause, There are many people in the world who cannot read and that is indeed a shame in this day in age

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
great idea.

what about those of us that my want to donate some $$ on behalf of ATS? is there a way to do that, SO?

I haven't checked out proliteracy's website, but I'd be more than willing to donate some cash, as I'm sure a few other members might, also.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Where do I bid to get my ad on ATS?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join