It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radical Centrism is the only REAL hope this country has.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth
That's essentially what "radical" centrism is about. Taking aspects of both and working towards a pragmatic solution.

Forgive me, heavy programming has forced me to associate the word "radical" with mainly negative connotations.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

a reply to: BubbaJoe

I can tell you this, I am not a big fan of Paul Ryan. I don't know how the majority of the rest of the country feels about him.
The guy just seems shifty to me. Not only that, I am pretty sure he's a Neocon, so that almost invariably means more military involved quagmires.
I don't necessarily see a Trump removal coming.Personally, I don't think he has done such a bad job so far. I don't agree with everything he has done, but....

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Ryan fan, but they will install him, as opposed to a military junta. What I forsee taking Trump and his entire administration down, are the ties to Russia.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

As an advocate of Centrist ideology myself, I do agree with the overall point you are making, but encouraging "radical" ideology of any sort will lead to problems. We don't need radical anything, we need compromise from both sides to meet in the middle.

There are some areas where the Left's position is more reasonable, there are some areas where the Right's position is more reasonable. The key is to find a balance where the strengths of both can be combined, and the negative qualities of each can be left behind.

We have not given ourselves this name, this is what the extreme right and left have named us. We have a lot of problems, for some, the answers will lean left, for others they will lean right. At least those of us in the middle understand discussion and compromise.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Nothing to forgive. It's common. When I see radical and extreme it usually brings negative connotations to me as well.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

As an advocate of Centrist ideology myself, I do agree with the overall point you are making, but encouraging "radical" ideology of any sort will lead to problems. We don't need radical anything, we need compromise from both sides to meet in the middle.

There are some areas where the Left's position is more reasonable, there are some areas where the Right's position is more reasonable. The key is to find a balance where the strengths of both can be combined, and the negative qualities of each can be left behind.

We have not given ourselves this name, this is what the extreme right and left have named us. We have a lot of problems, for some, the answers will lean left, for others they will lean right. At least those of us in the middle understand discussion and compromise.
Exactly

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

a reply to: Dark Ghost

Nothing to forgive. It's common. When I see radical and extreme it usually brings negative connotations to me as well.

Same here, but there has to be someone to lead the middle, I am not that person, but where do we find them?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Like I said, it almost seems like the center needs a "fire brand" to accomplish what we're wanting to do, and frankly, I don't know who it would be.
edit on 21-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Check out Jason Kander, I don't know him, but know some personal friends of his. He failed in 2016 as a Democrat in MO, but seems like a pretty decent guy, may be we can convince him to front a new choice.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I don't have the money to affect politics

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

It's quite possible. There are those who could. It's just a matter of doing it. People are waiting, but, as some posters have alluded, until they see some kind of spark from the center, they don't see how we're ever going to gain any traction. I don't like hearing it, but I'd say that's a fair enough assessment.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

It's quite possible. There are those who could. It's just a matter of doing it. People are waiting, but, as some posters have alluded, until they see some kind of spark from the center, they don't see how we're ever going to gain any traction. I don't like hearing it, but I'd say that's a fair enough assessment.

I would say a fair assessment as well. I need to do some reaching out to folks, I work for a small CPA firm, but we have a client who's wife sits on the board of the Kennedy Center, clients tied to the Conoco-Phillips money, some of these guys play pretty big in politics and they are not conservative.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth>>> I've called myself a radical centrist for years now. I always knew I was ahead of the curve.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Dutchowl

I have been one all of my life I suppose. I have never been registered as a Republican or Democrat. I just don't think either one of their own merit are very representative of the country as a whole.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Trump is radical centrism. Securing the borders, enforcing the laws, bringing jobs back, and protecting Americans are the center.

Look no further than old billy boy clinton if you don't believe these are the center. Watch his SOTU addresses.
edit on 22-2-2017 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

I think he's about the closest thing to a centrist we're going to get in the present political atmosphere, but he's right of center. A centrist would legalize those who are already here and make them pay citizenship taxes while securing our borders to minimize continued illegal immigration. Trump's idea is to round up the 12-14 million illegals and send them back to their countries. It sounds "good" in THEORY, but not very applicable in reality. It won't work.
Now, on some issues, there isn't any middle ground to be had. For example, jobs. Either you bring jobs back, or you don't.
edit on 22-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

We'll see what he actually does. He just kept DACA mostly intact. Trump is a deal maker. He starts with extreme positions and negotiates to the center (or maybe a hair right of center).

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There are a LOT Of us out there. Trump was the closest thing to get things started.. AKA burning it all down and making way for a true centrist in the future. It isnt just the prez, its congress and senate that needs a good cleansing burn. Term limits was what set most of us real centrists into orbit and will hold feet to the fire for it. THATS how we accomplish what we want. No legacy BS in politics or govt. Previously we ere called wishy washy and etc.. nope. Just dont tow a line or follow a complete mind controlled ideology... with cool catch phrases and etc. Mind controlled masses are on both left and right and both are guilty of what they accuse the other side of. They just refuse to see it. Someone mentioned revolution and what will come out of it? US.. thats who.. when the morons kill eachother off in revolution or make eachother completely irrelevant ( which I see the birth of, thankfully) , we are still standing.

I was a hard core republican for years. I was a young republican in college. Then I grew up. Same with most former democrats I know. Our parties became radical and it takes a person with thought to see it and walk away from it. You ave to be firm in your beliefs and not care what others try to force you or bully you to accept... and it seems few have the intestinal fortitude to do that.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

I'd say that's a good summation. I feel as though that's the only real hope in a country that's being tugged at by two extremes. And yes, there are a bunch of us.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

All a centrist is is a person who understands that extremes are dangerous. What we really need is a country full of intelligent people who looks at individual policies and laws with an eye to understanding whether they will work or not. The political posturing is nonsense meant for people who can only think in terms of team politics. Did the ACA bring down costs and for who? Did it help people in poverty or did it just line the pockets of doctors who signed up to take advantage of the plan without even providing a reasonable service to the people who were supposed to be helped? The only way we move forward is by looking at what we tried and checking whether it worked at accomplishing whatever it claimed to solve. Focusing on this philosophy or that philosophy is garbage.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mishmashum

All a centrist is is a person who understands that extremes are dangerous. What we really need is a country full of intelligent people who looks at individual policies and laws with an eye to understanding whether they will work or not.
That's where centrists come in. If you think anyone who classify themselves as rightists or leftists are going to do that, you're kidding yourself. Won't happen. They're too entrenched in a singular political ideology.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join