It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radical Centrism is the only REAL hope this country has.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam

Lol, well, firstly, I don't claim to be a spokesperson for centrists, even though I am a centrist. I can't speak for ALL centrists anymore than a rightist can speak for ALL rightists or a leftist can speak for ALL leftists.
I am just trying to have a heart to heart conversation with fellow members, and thus far I think it has gone quite well.
Yes, our spirituality or religion does influence our political ideas. It does mine. So, I can accept that. However, there's a difference between allowing your beliefs IMPACT your political ideology and interjecting your spirituality or religion into politics. Bottom line, mixing religion and politics turns into a Theocracy, which historically has a terrible track record. Think Inquisition and Sharia law... Yeah, sound good? Not to me. By the way, Jesus said, "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and give unto God what is God's." Never shall the two meet.
edit on 20-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth

Who said anything about not respecting Jesus? "Tarzan" wants to interject theology into a political discussion. Personally I don't take kindly to it. If that "offends," sorry bout dat. Those who are easily offended should be offended more often by a great number of other things.

On that note, Jesus also says that love is not easily offended.

So you're attempting to put me down, but still agree with what I've said... Both times. Interesting, friend.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Who said anything about not respecting Jesus? "Tarzan" wants to interject theology into a political discussion. Personally I don't take kindly to it. If that "offends," sorry bout dat. Those who are easily offended should be offended more often by a great number of other things.

Putting "Tarzan" in quotes is ridiculous. I'm real. Look me up.

I have many conservative views and a few liberal views. But I believe if someone does not eventually gather enough information to tilt the scales in one direction or another, you're not gathering information actively.

I forgive you for assuming my quote was less than a statement designed to provoke thought and not simply emotion.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

There's a difference between "putting you down" and criticizing someone for interjecting something that has absolutely no direct correlation to anything being discussed. If I were trying to be foul, I would have reported you for an off topic post. I didn't.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I am curious as to how any rational individual would choose to belong to one of two, at least currently, EXTREME ideologies. However, millions of Americans have decided to do so and you're seeing the results.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

There's a difference between "putting you down" and criticizing someone for interjecting something that has absolutely no direct correlation to anything being discussed. If I were trying to be foul, I would have reported you for an off topic post. I didn't.

Your post is regarding centrism. My quote provokes thought in that regard. You're showing your cards.

You mentioned Jesus before I did.

Context.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Bottom line, mixing religion and politics turns into a Theocracy . . .

Not necessarily so, though I know it's popular; considered educated and sophisticated to think so these days. Anyway, I was bringing up what I see as a practical point, not trying to segue into pissing match about the purview of people's religious beliefs.

I am just trying to have a heart to heart conversation with fellow members, and thus far I think it has gone quite well.

It's a fine thread. I'll leave you to it.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I am curious as to how any rational individual would choose to belong to one of two, at least currently, EXTREME ideologies. However, millions of Americans have decided to do so and you're seeing the results.

It is not a choosing to "belong". For rational people, it is simply a matter of what is the most honest right now.

Which history reveals is the same side which is no less than 1% more honest perpetually.

Now there are individuals with honesty that far exceed the honesty of a group, on either side. But anyone sitting in the middle perpetually would -never know that-.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Fair enough. Of course, there's always the media which tends to only show the worst of the worst of any social movement. So, I can't really say I disagree with your statement.
Don't you think though it would be prudent for the citizenry to try and work together for the greatest good rather than participating in tribal disputing?

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam
You don't have to be sorry about it. If you disagree and think a centrist can piss off some where upwards of 60% of the country and be successful, I'd be interested in hearing how you think that will work. Maybe you think religious people don't get pissed off when their beliefs aren't respected? I think they do, but I'd entertain theories to the contrary.

I think they do something worse than piss people off. They create indifference. Rush calls moderates worse than liberals. Sean Hannity doesn't allow them on his show. Just read through ATS, even in this thread you can see it. Moderated opinons don't get people excited, they'll be low star posts, and get few if any replies. What fires people up is bold, extreme ideas. That's why people professing them get into power, it's very emotionally driven, just like extreme language is. Moderation and centrist positions that involve compromise aren't exciting.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Fair enough. Of course, there's always the media which tends to only show the worst of the worst of any social movement. So, I can't really say I disagree with your statement.
Don't you think though it would be prudent for the citizenry to try and work together for the greatest good rather than participating in tribal disputing?

Yes.

ETA and thank you so much, friend, for living up to your name. You have earned a respect from me few receive. Not that it should matter to you, but it does to me.
edit on 2/20/2017 by TarzanBeta because: Bravo.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Lol, of course media figures don't have centrists on their programs. They don't promote division. That's really weak "evidence" of anything, Aazadan. Really weak.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

Yes.
And you think rightists and leftists do that? How so?

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

Yes.
And you think rightists and leftists do that? How so?

Please go see my edit.

And in the media, it is rare. But at the bar, I can convince anyone to consider more deeply because I always care about what they say.

Yes, I said "bar". Though I haven't been in a while, I'm not a typical judgemental Christian. I'm an idiot.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Well thank you. 😁😁 That is much appreciated

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Well thank you. 😁😁 That is much appreciated

Would it creep you out to say I have tears over this response?

It creeps me out a little.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Lol

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Lol

Told you I was an idiot.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

a reply to: Aazadan

Lol, of course media figures don't have centrists on their programs. They don't promote division. That's really weak "evidence" of anything, Aazadan. Really weak.

Division fires people up, it motivates them to vote, or to be heard. Opinions in the middle don't. Politics is all about exaggeration and extremism. Behind closed doors they'll actually compromise though, if they don't have to perform for the camera.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I took one of those politicial affiliation test and I came out as a "Centrist".

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join