It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News anchor Chris Wallace warns viewers: Trump crossed the line in latest attack on media

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I agree, is news out there that are reliable, sadly they come from places that has been deemed unreliable because they do not belong to any big media outlet.

Wallace came into the scene of reporting when the era of independent media was almost done with and the beginning of the monopoly of media conglomerates were buying out anything in their way for better media control.

Wallace may still have his mind on the old good days of reliable and respectable media reporting.

But I am sure that even him can see the decline.

Those that owns the media outlets control the news that we are been hand feed.

Interestingly we have know this for a while, specially those of us that remember the 60s and 70s.

The rest of the new generation only knows what is presented to them today as facts.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: ThingsThatDontMakeSense

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: ThingsThatDontMakeSense

The press is stating that some criticisms have "crossed the line".

They are determining what anyone can say about them.

Not really, attacking freedom of the press is an attack against American principles. You are American right?

show us anything close to a law, and EO, an official plea, from the US government (See also TRUMP) that says anything at all about closing down, or limiting the press in any way.

There is a difference between talking about something and attacking free press. Does Freedom of speech still exist?

The danger to free speech is very real with this administration. Yesterday right here on ATS people were calling for a shut down of media that is unfavorable to Trump, and calling for them to be punished.

Also, over 200 Republicans in Congress are skipping town halls this month, denying their constituents a chance to have their voices heard by politicians who (supposedly) work for them.
news.vice.com...

And we're barely a month in.
edit on 20-2-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
IMO, the media has crossed the line.

They took it from reporting the facts to reporting the facts with their own personal and biased spin.

People don't read newspapers much anymore. In those days, when you printed something, you were held accountable for the truthfulness of it. You could be sued. Therefore, when the printed story was wrong, there had to be a written correction in the paper....an admission that the information given was wrong.

Nowadays, everybody gets their news off the 24-hr. cable shows or the nightly so-called news from celebrity anchors that give more opinion and twist than factual information.

People are awakened to the methods now, and are saying, "if you can't just report the news, then we are not going to watch it". If you want to have an entirely different segment called....My Personal Opinion where you editorialize about something, okay. But, STOP mixing it with the raw news.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There is so much I want to say on this subject but can't. Without going into details, some close members of my family have ties to members of the current administration (one side is literal elites, the other side paupers). I guess I can sum it up as this, this is a conspiracy theory site and I'm an anonymous member. You can judge from my previous posts if you want to believe me or not. But I will say I don't have the full picture, just occasional glimpses.

Someone in power in the last couple years (and this crosses administrations) decided they wanted to obfusicate everything. 0 transparency, make up stories, and get people talking about things that either aren't real or aren't important. During the campaign, someone (my impression is Bannon) decided to take this a step further and discredit every source of media. Now, people aren't just talking about fake or unimportant distractions, but they set things up so that even the media themselves don't know what is and isn't real anymore. Rather than government censors, they simply corrupted the media's source.

Those in power no longer use the media. They communicate with each other through IM's, texts, phone calls, meetings, and so on, the media is no longer about informing anyone, it's the modern day circus to appease the masses. Fake news has become a rallying cry but it's inaccurate, it's just a slogan to reinforce that you can't trust anything. Politicians lie, then the media lies about those lies and in the end you can't even trust if the original lie was said.

We're in a war over information. Identity information, privacy, government secrets, and truth. Honest discourse was the latest casualty in this war, but not the first.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
What boggles my mind is the absolute faith in tweets. What if the president's twitter account gets hacked and disastrous unintended consequences happen. I can see the whittling down of all voices except one by president trump. Mr Wallace is correct to stand up to it.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: ThingsThatDontMakeSense

Not really, attacking freedom of the press is an attack against American principles. You are American right?

show us anything close to a law, and EO, an official plea, from the US government (See also TRUMP) that says anything at all about closing down, or limiting the press in any way.

There is a difference between talking about something and attacking free press. Does Freedom of speech still exist?

Well Trump is effectively attacking free press by planting seeds of doubt about their efficacy. Just carefully watching how he capitalizes "FAKE NEWS" in almost every one of his tweets seems to suggest that he has an agenda. My personal belief is that if he can get his most loyal fanbase to completely ignore (as fact-filled as they might be) anything a "formerly" credible news source has in print, then he can get away with almost anything without it being questioned. And let's face it, Trump thinks only what Trump says should ever be heeded or has any importance.

Yes, Trump has a massive ego. he thinks what he says is right and everyone else is wrong. But, he lives in America and has the right as a citizen to say what he wants. It's guaranteed by the Constitution. And if you haven't noticed, there has been a lot of false news floating around and it seems pointing it out makes you the bad guy. How on earth did that happen?

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: alphabetaone

A tweet or criticism cannot be an attack on free press, especially in a world where a cartoon can lead to gunmen storming the offices and slaughtering the staff of a magazine. Firebombs thrown into a newspaper office is an attack on the free press. A government that does not allow its people to start their own periodicals is an attack on free press. A tweet isn't an attack on the free press.

I think you may be deluding yourself a bit, if you believe that the spoken or written word isn't every bit as powerful (and sometimes more so) as armament.

I don't believe that nonsense one bit. It's as superstitious as saying black cats bring bad luck.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

People didn't just up and decide to storm offices on their own. Or kill journalists. Or bomb offices. None of that started out of the blue. It started with words.

That's like saying a rape happened because a woman wore a short skirt. The cause of people deciding to kill journalists or satirists is themselves.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The leaks can't be real and the news fake at the same time.

Yes... they can.

If the leaks are real and the reporters are accurately portraying the information they have been given,

That is the very point. The leaks, in that they reported that high level, classified communications had been going on between Flynn and certain others and Russian (and many, many other foreign) contacts, were accurate.

But the reality is, the MSM did NOT report this accurately. They not only suggested, they came right out and claimed that this is proof that the Russians manipulated our elections and/or had their hooks in our President and his entire staff, without a shred of evidence - and now it has been admitted that, in fact, there was nothing illegal or even unusual in these communications.

This can be evaluated in a much more rigorous way using formal logic.

No need, as your premise has been neutered.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

They took it from reporting the facts to reporting the facts with their own personal and biased spin.

If that line was crossed, it was over 200 years ago. What Trump is doing is the same thing that has made him successful in certain areas of his business, rebranding.

Taking the inherent bias in reporting and classifying it as fake, so he can prop the media up as an enemy that his supporters will rally behind him against.

Now, the question is, does he support the ideas of his supporters who want a shut down of all media that is unfavorable to him. That may not be what Trump means, but that's how his attacks on the media are being interpreted by a lot of his followers right now.

And this brings us all the way back around to the power of the presidents words, especially when left vague and open to interpretation.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The media hasn't "crossed the line," how ridiculous. They are doing right now, what they have ALWAYS done. They are simply being called out by a POTUS that is entitled, and used to getting his way in all things. Calling out for legal action against the press is the first (or first few) steps on the way to a happy little dictatorship. What is next.. media that can only be approved by.. who? Trump's office?

Let me ask this.. has Trump bothered to correct a single article that has painted him in a good light, or is an outright lie in support of Trump? So.. all media that faults Trump is "fake news," and all supportive media is good news? You seriously don't see an issue with this?

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Very important points. Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I tend to trust NPR, PRI, The Atlantic, Reuters, and McClatchy.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Same sign, reverse side.

Real photo.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

The media made themselves the story when they took it upon themselves to dictate what can and cannot be said about them.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

If there was nothing last night in Sweden, you then say, "What are you talking about, Mr. President? Do you know something we don't?" And then allow him to answer you. Although its far easier to fan the flames of confirmation bias by not doing that, and instead trying to make fun of him for the hyenas that read the rag they're writing for.

So what, then, was reported? Not the truth. Not facts. What was reported was a misstatement that the supposed journalists present decided to snicker about. Because you somehow have to find something in your time covering the White House that will actually get people to click, and nothing does that like the newfound dogwhistle of "Trump lies" hidden in every misstatement he makes.

Its dishonest. Its not doing their job. And its why i'd rather talk about this with regular people and then draw my own conclusions. Why on Earth would you trust anything being reported to you without checking it on your own?

RE: BBC...not being a Brit, im not certain where this ended up:

www.theguardian.com...

But fine.
The BBC is obviously wholly independant.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

do you really think the free press are the "enemy of the American people"?......do you think that the bill of rights was written by our founders, to grant a non-governmental institution with becoming the "enemy of the people"?......and.....put it in the very first amendment, receiving equal power that is also is assigned to freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc?

do you see how ridiculous that sounds?...especially when trumps oath of office and job description, is to uphold these very same constitutional rights?
edit on 20-2-2017 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

do you really think the free press are the "enemy of the American people"?......do you think that the bill of rights was written by our founders, to grant a non-governmental institution with becoming the "enemy of the people"?......and.....put it in the very first amendment, receiving equal power that is also is assigned to freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc?

do you see how ridiculous that sounds?...especially when trumps oath of office and job description, is to uphold these very same constitutional rights?

None of what you said disputes what I posted. Everyone is free to state whatever they want about the media.

The press cannot determine what is said about them.

They cannot dictate what anyone calls them.

Now you can agree or disagree as to whether or not they are an enemy f the people.

But you cannot say they have a right to silence people for saying it.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

BS ! The press is trying to make sure lies that Trump and his muck-rakers, (Bowling Green Terror Attack?, Terrorism in Sweden?), spew at an alarmingly frequent pace, are identified as garbage. You know it's getting bad when even FOX calls out his delusions. It's funny, (sad), how all of Trump's 'poorly educated' fans are more than willing to ignore Trump's lies in what I can only assume is a desperate attempt to convince themselves their savior, Trump, is the person they voted for. In just one month into his Presidency, the world can see Trump's only interest - insuring he and his shameful band of billionaires and ex-generals continue to make as much money for themselves as possible. I've seen NOTHING re: Trump's plan for new jobs, or economic stimuli - you know, help for the common man he loves soooo much... I did see a Trump overturn an EPA regulation preventing coal companies from polluting rivers - a move that is nothing more than a gift to his mining friends, to allow them to continue making money while not having to worry about the damage they do to the environment, (reports that Trump supports will discount indicate about as many jobs in monitoring previous regulations would have been created as those 'saved' by Trump's move). Most of us don't live in West Virginia, so who cares about their rivers, right? Thank God Trump's supporters are in an ever-shrinking minority, especially with the bazaar behavior Trump's been exhibiting lately.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TownCryer

Nice rant but absolutely nothing of what you wrote refutes my assertion that the press is trying to define what anyone can call them.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It doesn't if you don't acknowledge what I say, which is your right. That's exactly what the news media is fighting. There are facts, and there are opinions. Two different things that are not interchangeable. If one chooses not to acknowledge facts, it's a personal decision. But, the absence of fact acknowledgement doesn't alter the fact's reality. Just because someone doesn't believe the Earth is round, doesn't mean the Earth isn't round.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join