It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force monitoring increased Iodine-131 in Europe

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

The fact that they were being detected over a month later is a pretty good indication that something was leaking. If they're still detecting it, then definitely something is leaking.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I just imagine a modern one of these flying over those countries. Letting out isotopes from a leaking engine. Probably not the case but crazy imagine a nuclear powered B-36 in the 50s! Wonder what it would look like if the program wasn't ended (went black)

Ultimately, they retrofitted the Convair B-36, a hybrid prop/jet-engine bomber weighing more than 400,000 pounds* (181,435 kilograms) and with a wingspan of 230 feet (70 meters), to house an air-cooled reactor in the aft bomb bay. Up front, the plane was outfitted with a 12-ton lead-and-rubber-shielded crew compartment. The atomic version of Convair's plane, called "Peacemaker," made 47 test flights over Texas and New Mexico between July 1955 and March 1957.

www.scientificamerican.com/article/nuclear-powered-aircraft/

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Monday 24. October at 1.45 PM an unintended release of radioactive iodine occurred in relation to the handling of test fuel in the reactor hall of the Halden Reactor. The release represents no threat for IFE’s employees or the environment.

Press release: unintended release of radioactive iodine at the Halden Reactor

Everything is under control! Nuclear energy is save. And green.

Supergreen!

It’s not the first time the NRPA has had to issue an order to the IFE. The NRPA had been supervising the IFE since 2014 over its lack of safety culture. The incident in October shows this frame of mind persists.

Norway’s Halden Reactor: A poor safety culture and a history of near misses

Glory to the corporations! That's a pretty efficient way to make a buck or two, impressive.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
Monday 24. October at 1.45 PM an unintended release of radioactive iodine occurred in relation to the handling of test fuel in the reactor hall of the Halden Reactor.

That's not this one, though.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

So many leaks, I'm not sure and just venting. Why do you think it's not?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

So many leaks, I'm not sure and just venting. Why do you think it's not?

The date of the article.

I-131 has about an 8 day half life. And you have to sort of follow WHY there was venting of I-131. I think I listed a few ways a nuclear reactor can vent 131 upthread, and this is one - if the zirc cladding on the fuel rod cracks, you will get I-131 emission from it. They had some, the rods leaked, they sealed the vents on the reactor hall and left. Also, they had filters in place, and very little of it got out, most of it was in the used fuel handling area, where it will stay for about 90 days (if they go by the same sorts of protocols we do) until it's gone through enough half-lives to be reduced enough to just run through the effluent filter system. They were also in a scheduled down-time, so the articles saying they 'had a meltdown' are not exactly accurate.

So this isn't the ongoing source of I-131 in Europe. It's:

1) too old
2) too small
3) long over with at this point

eta: the rods were also venting the usual radioactive noble gases, so if this WERE the source, you'd be seeing the expected other byproducts like xenon in the plume.
edit on 9-3-2017 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Hey Bedlam, at Rocky flats in 1958 they had a release like Chernobyl on Sept 11.....what the whole north end of Denver saw was a 400 foot smoke column.....and a fire truck backed into the transformers and knocked out the power to the exhaust fans....they say that saved Denver because the filters were burning.

Was I contaminated badly?....2 miles I away in Arvada.....it was brought to light after another leak in 1967, and they found cesium from older layers around town....curious

So, back then it was both the first Sept 11 and the first Chernoybl

So how it went down...get this

When all the people saw the smoke column, the parents told the kids to get inside, and all the grown ups got in pickups and crowded into cars and went right over there...

ditby]edit on 9-3-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2017 by GBP/JPY because: Coza

edit on 9-3-2017 by GBP/JPY because: Rex

edit on 9-3-2017 by GBP/JPY because: True story

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Yes. And the second piece mentions ongoing issues for years, the usual crap. I'm not sure the leak is contained, Tep#s talk about "being in control" as well. A whole energy sector struggling with semantics, you'll catch the drift.

Also, we still don't know if it's their experimental reactor... I dunno. Smells like fishy national security stuff with media blackout if you ask me, there's probably more to this Norwegian.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Well, there is this report mentioning concerns about the Norwegian reactor. Might this plant be in worse condition than they are admitting ?

In Summary

The IFE has been under special supervision by the NRPA, but it doesn’t seem to Bellona that the IFE has taken the requirement for increased reporting nearly seriously enough. It seems they further didn’t understand the seriousness of the situation that arose in October. The IFE either neglected procedures it’s obligated to follow, made insufficient measurements, or failed to report the results satisfactorily.

Bellona is concerned that the reactor core may become unstable by just closing the vents. Hydrogen formation in the reactor core is very serious, as Fukushima showed. The IFE has previously stopped circulation in the primary cooling circuit for, among other things, maintenance while the reactor has been shut down.

bellona.org...

edit on 1032017 by nelloh62 because: extract from article

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

This isn't exactly a perilous situation. They may be sloppy and half-assed but leaky zirc happens fairly frequently. One might ask if they've been causing that by mishandling the reactor, you can crack zirconium cladding by allowing temperature excursions.

To the other poster, closing the vents can't cause a meltdown either. You typically don't vent hydrogen as a primary method of disposal, you recombine it in place either with sparks or catalytically.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   

I think the point I was trying to get across was that this plant has a bit of history ( well, they probably all do ), and if it is a power plant that leaked, or is still leaking, why the big hush up.
And if it's not a power plant or Pharma leak, then that doesn't leave many options.
Does anybody know if they are still getting readings ?

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

The other issue is that this plant was leaking radioactive noble gases as well, which either isn't happening with the mystery plume, or they're lying about it, or there's some unknown reason why the other gases aren't also being detected.

I personally tend to lean towards lying about it, but I don't have enough evidence to hazard a decent guess.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

They need to find a better excuse.

VanNoord said that the WC-135 crew isn’t in Europe to track down a specific radioactive cloud. Instead, it is participating in a constant mission of monitoring nuclear debris all the world from facilities such as nuclear power stations and hospitals.

We need to get the background levels so if an event were to happen, we know where that baseline is,” he said. “We just need to make sure that we’re getting the background and knowing what’s happening around the world and what changes are happening in the atmosphere.”

www.stripes.com...-zvyuM8

Ok, but if there is elevated I-131 at the time they're sampling, how is that getting normal background levels?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Just want to say, "thank you so much!" to Zaphod for starting the thread -

- and to Zaphod and Bedlam for keeping an eye on the situation and continuing to 'report' what info you can find!!!

I'm sure that there are many ATS members, like me, who really appreciate having trustworthy 'sources' of commentary and updates on the sorts of things going on 'out there'...

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
WC-135 62-3582 was noted leaving the UK on the 13th March. It was last noted flying over Israel.

Published on 13 Mar 2017 62-3582 USAF WC-135C Constant Phoenix, a.k.a. Nuke Sniffer, currently is on a mission in Europe and spotted here from Cambridge on March 13, 2017 at about 14:25 UTC.

Video from Cambridge, England.

Twitter Link

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Don't have anything to add, tagging thread so it stays on my list.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Bump....it's been too long in the back shelves.....plus my question.......about the first September 11 event and the first Chernobyl....in friggin Denver....

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

There is no need to speak about the dire state of Ukrainian NPPs [nuclear power plants] and mention that NPPs are being fixed just in the most emergency cases and they have never been upgraded since Soviet times. But it is essential to say that Ukraine pays a little attention to the state of nuclear safety and security what can be perfectly described by a series of examples.

In January Europe was covered by a nuclear cloud. The radiation level increase was recorded in Norway, Finland, Spain, France, Poland and the Czech Republic. The results of the urgent investigation proved that the only possible source of the radioactive leak is the South-Ukraine Nuclear Power Plant Station where on January 19 at 12:29 local time energy unit 3 in critical conditions was shut down and that was reported by the press office of Ukraine’s Energoatom. This leakage didn’t have a serious impact on the local population’s health, but it was the confirmed fact of a nuclear incident. It took place right in the time when the Ukrainian NPPs operated with the extreme overload, and that is the right moment to use all reasonable efforts and save the world from the third large-scale nuclear disaster.

Groundreport.com, March 7, 2017 - Ukraine on the brink of a nuclear disaster.

Does that jive with the dates/time of the "cloud" being reported? Because that is the only large-scale example of an incident I have run across. I was looking for energy amounts and saw this.

Seems the Ukraine may be overstressing their reactor to create more energy. As Bedlam noted earlier, that is a bad thing to do. Embrittlement and heat stress go hand in hand with "disaster" and "melt down". You'd figure that with Chernobyl just on the other side of the border they would be wary of another disaster but apparently not. I read somewhere today that Chernobyl is going to be a threat for the next 3,000 years.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Wow. That's really scary.

You should start a thread about that.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Just giving the thread a bump, do we have any more information on this? Whether any more iodine has been detected? Or the source of it?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join