It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOPPELGANGER

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Strange word, love the way it roll's of the tongue as well!

Doppelganger meaning "double'walker" (German expression) the double often called the human double, is usually an apparition of an actual living person. It is generally an exact replica of the person, including physical characteristics and clothing, and frequently deceives a witness in thinking that it is the actual person. Usually the double appears to be a solid figure from a distance, but tends to act strangely or menchanically.

Only the owner of a doppelganger can see it (not always though)otherwise it is invisable to the human eyes. Dogs and cats have been known to see doppelgangers. (cant see how they can prove that though) Providing sympathetic company, a doppelganger almost always stands behind a person, and they cast no reflection in a mirror. They are prepared to listern and give adive to humans, either implanting ideas in their heads, (sub-con') or a sort of osmosis. It is said to be bad luck if it is seen, and rarely a doppelganger will make itself visable to friends or family, often causing great confussion. Doppelgangers can be mischievous and malicious.

The specific nature of the double is unknown. There are several theories as to its cause. The most popular in occultism is that the double is a projection of the astral body. The projection is usually involuntary, or in the case of an adapt, it can be accomplished at will. Seeing of the double is often the presage of the imminent death of the person.

The double is known by various othe names, including the "Beta body", "Fluidic body", and "Pre-physical body". Different cultures call the double by various names such as, Vardoger in Sweden. It is called a "Fetch" in Ireland and England (folklore).

One widespread belief among the tribal cultures is that the double is the soul, which is a reflection of the body.

Anybody else heard of a Doppelganger, or even seen one?

blackwidow

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 08:40 AM
link   
this will end up in the paranormal forum....

I have heard of the term, and the idea...but not as in depth as you mentioned here. Whenever I've heard of them, it's always in reference to an apparition. Interesting phenomenon, but I've no personal experience with it...

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I didnt think of putting it in there!

Who comes to me wearing my own face
As dull as ache with eyes of empty space
What is its name, why this restless haunt
What do you want?
Doppelganger (whispered & echoed)

What have I done that you come to me?
Your vacant stare takes the soul of me
Your frigid grip, rigid claws that clutch
I fear your touch

Mirror me, fear or fantasy
Are you my death in disguise?
Mirror me, you are heresy
Of my flesh, if we mesh
Which one dies?

Who comes to me wearing my own face
As dull as ache with eyes of empty space
What is its name, why this restless haunt?
What do you want?

Mirror me, fear or fantasy
Are you my death in disguise?
Mirror me, you are heresy
Of my flesh, if we mesh
Which one dies?

Where now is fear? Fever drove it out
My time is near, this is not in doubt.
The ghost is gone; I will follow after
I hear your laughter,

Blackwidow

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   
When I read doppelganger I thought you were talking about weather radar! But thats doppeler!

Yes Gaz is right this will be relocated to a paranormal forum, perhaps crypto...huh yeah just so you know.

[Edited on 25-6-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Thank you Advisor

blackwidow

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
i have heard of Doppelgangers before but never in as much detail. its very interesting.

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Thank you Lone-Wolf for your comment, I found it very interesting when I learnt about Doppelgangers also, years ago!

blackwidow

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I've never had experience with a paranormal doppelganger, but you know that saying that goes "everyone has a twin somewhere"? I've begun to believe that one.
I worked at a store for about 4 years off and on, and this lady used to come in fairly regularly, and mentioned all the time that I looked just like her granddaughter. that made some sense, because this lady looked a lot like my grandma. she eventually brought her granddaughter in to meet me, and she did look just like me! it was the strangest thing in the world.
I've also met people who look exactly like other people I know, but aren't related and have no knowledge of the other person. it's quite weird talking to someone who looks exactly like one of your good friends...but isn't.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 01:01 PM
link   
And this legend/belief or whatever it is, could have alot to do with the suggestion of *soulmates* as some say a Doppleganger can also be soul embodied and can come to you through dreams/OBE and speak to you..

Usually this person/soul/whatever is the complete opposite of you and one legend states that if you 2 were to ever meet you would both die..

I've heard/read some very interesting things about this..just really never took it to seriously, as it's rather frightening as told by some..

There's alot of interesting books writen on this and alot of different views with could equate along the same lines..

Nice topic BW..

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I've never heard it used like that. I always thought it was a human body double. Example, Hitler's doppelganger was Gustav Weler.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Here is an interesting article. Click at risk as it is very long, but very informative.

Multiverse

The reason I post in this topic is that one theory on the doppelganger that I have read is that everyone has an exact double. This double lives in a different plane (universe?) but is EXACTLY like you. Thinks, acts, looks and talks just like you. Twins almost. They carry on the exact same life as you. Now, the wrench thrown in is that there can sometimes be a "wave" of sorts that can rip through time and space, and "could" cause a sort of bleed through that for a fleeting moment, would put that world and this world in the SAME EXACT PLACE AT THE SAME EXACT TIME. Once the "wave" passed, things would return to normal.

Just my 2cents.

join