It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An old picture, on the back a description written in cursive-Kids can't read it

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
My step father passed, and we had a number of old pictures that we went through and I got take a few home. And by old I mean1920's.

Long story short, there is a long description of who they are and if they had kids. It was written in cursive. My 11 year old picked up one of the large pictures, and this is mounted in an embossed paper holder. On the back is the cursive writing, and the 11 year old has no idea what it says.

Now I never thought much of this being left out of the curriculum. But the more I think about it, the over $10,000 a year that the state of Michigan (tax payer) puts into the education of these kids, maybe they could still teach this.
Cursive is still out there our family's old documents are written in it, our nations founding docs are in it. Is there a good reason that I am not seeing to stop teaching it? Is it truly a dead skill or a skill that some wish was dead?

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Uninformed people are easier to control.

Electronic media is easier to edit.

It's all about limiting access to knowledge.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Think its combination of too much tech people no longer writing along with part of deliberate plan .

Noticed it alot in recent years that people cant read cursive . On plus side it keeps busybodies from reading my journals as write in cursive still .

link   
I too am troubled by this. I haven't decided if I should be troubled by it though.

link   
i hate cursive. after 8th grade only a few teachers required me to write in it, so i never used it. by college i completely abandoned it. i admit now i have trouble reading it all those f0kking lines. so annoying.

when people see my sketchbooks, written in print, they are amazed how simple it is to read.

THAT being said, i think pepole should learn is, and then make the choice which one to use.

me, i find it worthless. i hate old script. it gives the writer too many chances to interpret the letter forms.

unless its writing i write in sleep about dreams concepts, my handwriting is pretty easy to read by anyone.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandy555

I am starting to agree with your point. At first I thought that in the limited amount of cursive writing that people are exposed to, who cares. But now I am seeing there maybe a bigger picture to this.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Then you, my friend, need to teach him how to read cursive.

Just like all of the other things we teach out children that our "education system" does not.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Here in the Rio Grande Valley they still teach cursive in both English and Spanish.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I can't see the need for it

In school I was told it's faster to write ... also in the same school we had computers where people can put down 120 wpm

So along with many many many forgotten writing
Hope it's never forgotten but I see no reason for most people to learn it

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: markovian
If nobody learns it, how is it not going to be forgotten? Then everything that was hand-written before computers came along is going to be a closed book.
There does remain a practical purpose, because cursive is about speed. People still need to be able to write with a pen, for those times when a keyboard is not available. How can people write with any fluency if they're laboriously putting down one letter at a time?

edit on 19-2-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I bet your 11 year old could learn to read it pretty easy..it's fairly intuative, help him.
I learned it on my own. They did teach it when I went to school but pretty much had it figured out on my own for the most part.
I don't think they have taught it for years here..it is a shame.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I've got through life very well without being disadvantaged by the speed of cursive which I was never taught in 70's and 80 Britain.
I can still read it as well though. I was exposed to it.
I think the potential gains of speed from cursive writing these days is minimal and easy to disregard as quaint at best.

*edit*
As an aside, my young adult son writes beautiful cursive naturally, but he went to a better school than I did.
edit on 19.2.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

You just can't imagine right now how appalled I am that you haven't taken it upon yourself to teach your own child.
(stink eye)

BECAUSE some of the most important documents of our country ARE in cursive this is enough for all children to continue learning it. Secondly despite the laxness of our society, cursive is the mark of an educated person and while in your circles this may be seen as unnecessary in others it's still valued. Highly valued.

Schools dropped cursive and penmanship maybe 10-15 yrs ago but being concerned with my kid's education they were taught it at home, an same with the grand squirts.

HONESTLY!!!
What are you thinking???!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I bet they can do Roman numerals though what with all the sequels in movies, video games, etc :-P

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Pointless writing style.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

Yep, the sad part is that the kids were taught it, sort of, in elementary school. It was just starting to go out during their time there.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I think my point is the "community" is loosing this skill.

What does this mean?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Pointless writing style.

Pointless? Wow.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Our schools were on the bubble when my last went through, so there was exposure to it, but not to the extent that it should be.
So yes it is a thing that will need attention.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: markovian
If nobody learns it, how is it not going to be forgotten?

We have computers, books, etc...just because something isn't practiced doesn't mean its lost forever. handwriting can be learned in a couple days.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join