It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened when factory jobs moved from Warren, Ohio, to Juarez, Mexico

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

That was not a flaw, it was purposeful and is the ONLY reason NAFTA was even considered.

There is only 2 reasons anything is done, money and power. Anyone who thought that NAFTA was a good idea is an enemy of the middle class.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Guess what, that will be the only thing those robots will do. Until major work is done to make them do something else.

I have worked with major engineering companies and there is still a need for many people, to do things that robots can't do yet.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

what are you talking about his first day in office he killed a treaty that obama was trying to force on us that was just as bad as nafta and he said he was going to look into either renegotiating nafta to make it better for us workers or he would scrap it too. tariffs are not scary things having all the good paying jobs go elsewhere is.
i believe if an american company wants to move it manufacturing jobs overseas then they should be penalized for it with a 50 cent on the dollar penalty tax that is only way to get them to keep jobs here.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacusthe mexican takes a dollar a hour because thats better then no job making no dollar an hour and at 57 she probably does not want to move up north. but if you think they don't want more an hour you sadly mistaken the company i worked for moen inc about ten years ago sent recruiters to mexico and helped several hundred move to us instead of hiring local people through want adds andthrough job fairs. we people asked if these people would be fluent in english from a safty point you know like being able to find fire exits reading signs warning of dangerous parts of plant they were immediately terminated for being racist. guess what it was a failure more than half could not read the method sheets and we had many problems with missing parts and wrong parts in boxes when asked about it they would hold hands up shrug shoulders and say i don't know or little english. well after that they got the bright idea to bring in refugees to our area to staff the plant that worked better because they were burmese and at one time english was a main language there.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   
First of all, a tip of the hat to all you fine gents whom have contributed to the first semi-politically charged multi-page thread that I have seen be almost completely civil and constructive in a very long time...

I think the main problem here is the idea of infinite growth. This is definitely as much of a Wall street issue as it is a main street board of directors and company owners issue. What ends up happening is companies can operate at what looks like break even as long as the right people are getting paid, and there is GROWTH. Not just profits, growth. I'm not particularly savvy to in depth economics and market philosophy, but it seems to me like volume is the biggest tool of traders and speculation... Either way, this leads to the winners in various industries becoming huge bloated empires...

I think Trump's best shot at fixing this specific situation will be his efforts to reduce regulation. Regulation is the secret line item on every huge companies books. It is 10x more lucrative to buy a politician and thereby a law, regulation, or fee in your favor than it is to innovate or compete fairly for a better share of your market. If Trump can deregulate to the point that the Joe the Plumber level entrepreneur can compete and take LOCAL market shares vs. mega corporations, I think a manufacturing renaissance could be in the making. The key is putting the very small business, say single family through a dozen or so employees, into the position where they are making a decent living while undercutting the big boys. There MUST be some fat to trim off of the enormous cash flow in these huge companies that leaves room for a smaller operation to be content with less...

Because really.... if all of these companies are using more robots than ever, and employing 60% less people, and paying half of them fractions of real salaries, WHY ARENT THESE PRODUCTS RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP. And I'm not counting Chinese plastics and silicon... Frankly we could do with less of that and have a little pride of ownership with some more boutique goods that are appreciated more... The cost of a cheap small car is a year's worth of minimum wage, the same if not more when compared to when vehicles were first being produced! What if Joe the Mechanic could build a midsize vehicle with NONE of the bells and whistles with 3 employees and a modest warehouse space for 6K? But it would be "unsafe" or something right? Surely there's an encyclopedia of laws, codes, taxes, and regulations preventing Joe from even building 1...I dunno I suppose motorcycles can be had for that price, but either way how about WE LET THE MARKET DECIDE..

Fu#$ the red tape and regulations and fees and insurance and bookkeeping and taxes and restrictions and codes and inspections and BS FOR THE LITTLE GUY!

If Trump can put manufacturing in people's Garages, we win.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

And this what our "free" media is supposed to be doing stories on. But we get corporatism BS in place of the real stuff.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JRedBeard

Correct the fractional reserve lending system of the central banking industry is designed to and only for, growth.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04 you don't know that. Balancing the book is tuff.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04 you don't know that. Balancing the book is tuff.
If you are on the clock for 8 hour and you get paid for 8 hour, what's your beef. Now you have all kinds of time on your hands.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

do you really have to ask?

supply and demand, brain surgeon? deserves lots of money because not many people can do that. assembling auto parts? not very deserving of high pay if a Mexican can do it for a dollar an hour.
if a semi skilled third world person can do your job for a dollar an hour do you even have to ask why you shouldn`t be paid $30 an hour to do it?

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join