It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened when factory jobs moved from Warren, Ohio, to Juarez, Mexico

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I see both sides of this as I am a business owner too. But don't you think the union yelling more ,more ,more ever year played a part in pushing those jobs south? I bet if the worker were willing to work for, say 22 bucks and hour instead of $30, perhaps the company would still be in the US.
And the $30 bucks probably don't include all the benefits and matching taxes and government fee the company has to pay.
It's not easy being the bad guy in business. Try thinking about both sides with an open mind.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

They likely did, but let's be honest, they were looking for any excuse possible to flee south, and to China.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

On the other side of the coin, all I heard from my employer was more more and more from my every hour of every day.

If they are honest with each other then they could move forward.

And let's keep in mind the business agreed to the union contract, the huge $30 and hour contract.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
If they are honest with each other then they could move forward.

The real solution.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

THere is a earned mistrust of large corps. Look at what they have done.

They are willing to down size, and expect one worker to do the job of 3 and then after someone has worked their guts out fire them and move to a 3rd world country with our govt's blessing.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Without a doubt. Both sides need to offer up an olive branch and work together ... not that they will.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Don't forget the 30+% corp tax rate on top of high wages in the US.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Don't forget that the workers also pay high taxes. If we want infrastructure and the other amenities like no sewage in the street, then there is a cost associated with it.

Now in Mexico not so much.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Don't forget that the workers also pay high taxes. If we want infrastructure and the other amenities like no sewage in the street, then there is a cost associated with it.

Now in Mexico not so much.

Yep, $30hr kicks you into a higher tax bracket.

Over $60k a year without OT.

Not bad for an assembly line job punching a clock, 40hrs a week.

As to the EPA and community infrastructure public works? I'm sure those costs can be trimmed.

3 guys standing around watching 1 guy dig a hole, seen it here too! lol.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I have also seen many many executives standing around smoking cigs at the headquarters?

And if we want a stable society it will take jobs, and it can't be 9$ an hour jobs.

If the only ones making any $ is corps, they will have no customers.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

a reply to: OccamsRazor04

When did Unions start to fall out of favor? When did the Owners of the US start to make huge gains in wealth?

Interesting Graph
That year 1970 keeps popping up when it comes to the origins of Corporate Globalism.
When did the Bilderberg Group start making their changes at the government level?

I think the ones railing against unions is a smoke screen and an excuse.
It would have ALWAYS been a better deal for Corporations to move to China where workers have no rights.
We used to have pride in Capitalism where everyone had bargaining power, including workers.

So even in the early 20th century, before unions had so much power, it still would have been more profitable for Corporations to move to other countries where workers had no power at all.

So what changed?

The major corporations and politicians at meetings like Bilderberg and CFR is what happened

The same major corporations have a huge presence in Washington DC where they write the bills

People say Unions were asking for the much
Who gives the right for anyone to decide that?
I mean who sets the limit?
Perhaps we should set a limit for CEO pay as well then
edit on 19-2-2017 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

And the for real question is Trump blowing smoke up many peoples tail pipes?

Edit;
I think if the company agrees to the contract what is the problem. If people think $30 an hour is too much to pay someone to work on a $30,000 car?

The corps should not dictate 100% of pay and benefits. They need labor. Labor needs corps.
edit on 19-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I have also seen many many executives standing around smoking cigs at the headquarters?

And if we want a stable society it will take jobs, and it can't be 9$ an hour jobs.

If the only ones making any $ is corps, they will have no customers.

Yep, me too.

It's hard to make everyone happy.

$9hr used to be a decent wage. lol when min wage was $1.75.

What went wrong? Haha.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Free market is in chains.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
if a Mexican can do the job for $1 an hour why did American workers need to be paid $30 an hour? obviously it isn`t a very complicated job that requires high intelligence, why didn`t the American workers work for $10 an hour?

some jobs deserve high pay but a job that a Mexican can do for a $1 an hour doesn`t deserve to pay $30 an hour.

Using that logic, why did the CEO get an increase in pay and a bonus for relocating to Mexico?
An unskilled incompetent can tell you, you'll make more money moving to Mexico, right

The CEO should be thrown out and a new one put in for a hundred bucks a day.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: soficrow

Yes, there are other factors. That doesn't mean you should give up like Obama did. It means you need to work for both the current generation losing jobs, and the future generation who will inherit a different economy.

Any company that brings their manufacturing back to the US is NOT going to go old-tech. They are going to automate here and now. If they don't, all their product is going to sit unsold in the US because it's just not competitive in the global market.

Sad but true.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: soficrow

Yes, there are other factors. That doesn't mean you should give up like Obama did. It means you need to work for both the current generation losing jobs, and the future generation who will inherit a different economy.

Any company that brings their manufacturing back to the US is NOT going to go old-tech. They are going to automate here and now. If they don't, all their product is going to sit unsold in the US because it's just not competitive in the global market.

Sad but true.

Sorry, I doesn't do much good to bring up inconvenient truths to those still operating on the Reaganomics system; And 1960s manufacturing paradigm.
edit on 19-2-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The work in new plants still require many hands. If you think that there are going to be all jetson's robots running around, you haven't seen new lines installed.

The robots are stupid still and they can only do stupid things.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The flaw with NAFTA is that it includes Mexico, it should only be Canada and the USA.
Canadian workers actually make a higher wage than there American counterparts because their dollar has less value.
Benefit packages are similar as well. So lets say a factory has production in both countries the Canadian worker get $23.00/hr and the American gets $20.00/hr. So almost the same wage.

As said in this thread, if that same company also has a factory in Mexico the Mexican worker gets a few peso's an hour which are worthless in real world purchasing. They also get no benefits, and most likely have no union.
Mexico and America is not an even playing field, but Canada and the USA is.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

The work in new plants still require many hands. If you think that there are going to be all jetson's robots running around, you haven't seen new lines installed.

The robots are stupid still and they can only do stupid things.

Oh really....stupid robots!!

www.bbc.com...
techcrunch.com...

www.techrepublic.com...
edit on 19-2-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join