It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale bans one of its Secret Societies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is just another case of the out-of-control over-sensitivity issues that is plaguing campuses these days, or if its an actual attempt to crackdown on secret societies. Either way, it seems that Yale University has banned one of its secret societies for being (this is inspired) "too exclusive".

The ain story comes from Heat Street:

Yale University has banned the Aurelian Honor Society, one of the University’s oldest secret societies, from its longtime, on-campus meeting rooms because the organization is “exclusive,” and that giving it the space “privileged” it over other organizations.

Yale College Dean of Student Affairs Camille Lizarribar cited exclusivity as a primary reason for removing Aurelian from its traditionally designated space. Unlike most other Yale secret societies, the insular group holds its meetings in a Yale-owned building.

Lizarribar said that the ban was also based on “events that transpired” on one of the days preceding Tap Night, the evening where members of Yale’s secret societies roam the campus in masks and ritual robes, inducting new members.

“[A] concerning factor was that it was the second incident of a similar, dangerous nature to occur within a short time span (and after a previous admonishment and prohibition of use),” stated Lizarribar in an e-mail to Brian Mitchell, the chairman of Aurelian’s board of trustees.

“Despite the tradition of the room’s use by Aurelian, given these incidents and the changing purpose of the society, the College can no longer justify designating space for an exclusive senior society on Yale property, nor sustain the liability incurred with the unregulated and destructive use of the room,” she added.

[...]

Aurelian, Yale’s fifth oldest secret society, has long used its lavish on campus quarters, known as “The Rooms” or “Room 405” — in gothic Sheffield-Sterling-Strathcona Hall — to gather and perform its secret rituals. Yale’s other oldest secret societies, such as the world famous Skull and Bones organization, meet in their own locked “tombs” around campus, shielded from the scrutiny of campus administrators, where they can do as they please.

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Geheimnis

They haven't banned the group. They are simply banning them from meeting in Yale-owned rooms.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   
oh noo's, the former one wolders are rolling over in their graves, sjw's have saved the day.

edit on 19-2-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Skull n Bones though, not "exclusive"??

Aren't all of these societies inherently 'exclusive' (thereby exposing the slippery slope that all of this noise truly is)??

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Skull and Bones would win the blue ribbon for being ultra "non-inclusive".
I think [email protected] needs to be interrogated about her "exclusive" enforcement of school policies

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Where are the pedo's gonna meat now?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Just a liability issue for the Campus.

They don't want any shenanigans occurring in campus owned buildings to parents and students from suing them.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

What we are witnessing is the infiltration of the Ivy League institutions by globalist elites who are actively subverting the fraternal structure of America's most 'prestigious' education cabal.

Also, I am in no way defending these secret societies. Historically, they have been proven to espouse very dubious agendas behind closed doors.

Proceed with caution.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Just a liability issue for the Campus.

They don't want any shenanigans occurring in campus owned buildings to parents and students from suing them.

~Tenth

Oh how I wish that were true.

Surely you can agree, that things are never so simple, no?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

What we are witnessing is the infiltration of the Ivy League institutions by globalist elites who are actively subverting the fraternal structure of America's most 'prestigious' education caba

As America was founded by a series of countries, they were always infiltrated, operated and funded by the globalist elites. That was kind of the whole point of Ivy League Schools.

Oh how I wish that were true.

Surely you can agree, that things are never so simple, no?

And it probably is that simple. Had they wanted to actually ban them, they would have banned the chapter of whatever specific Frat they are part of or whatever.

Never second guess a corporations willingness to protect it's assets from being taken by shake down artists. A university is just a business these days.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I'll bet the real, really really real secret societies are still going about their business just fine.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

And it probably is that simple. Had they wanted to actually ban them, they would have banned the chapter of whatever specific Frat they are part of or whatever.

Give them time, there is a gradation of implementation being applied here. They'll ban the chapter when it is politically and economically convenient to them.

Never second guess a corporations willingness to protect it's assets from being taken by shake down artists. A university is just a business these days.

I certainly wouldn't argue that point.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I'll bet the real, really really real secret societies are still going about their business just fine.

No we aren't.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DBCowboy

No we aren't.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   

It sounds like someone got all upset that they weren't included, and pitched a fit, so, of course, the school caves in and tosses them out of their buildings. Sad, truly.

top topics

join