It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have discovered how to find your bad memories and DELETE them

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

No, no, no, no, no......Just NO!

I'm against memory manipulation of this sort...if they can erase memories, they can effectively change a person. Memories, bad and good make us human...they make us what we are now. I have just as many bad memories as the next guy, probably a lot less than some PTSD sufferers..but I'm ethically against "deleting" memories.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
Memories are are stored in your brain through networks of neurons. To remove memories, you would literally be destroying the flesh that these neural paths take.

It would be impossible to erase a memory of a long relationship without destroying a significant amount of brain matter which would no doubt destroy other memories as well.
You could remove "small memories" though. Like the smell of marshmallows or a childhood telephone number you no longer use.

Understand though, that removing memories means destroying flesh, which puts thoughts and memories clearly in the physical realm. No thoughts or memories are stored outside of your brain.

Hmmn.....

Doesn't nature unpleasently do it all by herself
with something called Alzheimers.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Well, I understand that we need our memories, but in some or maybe a whole lot of people are affected by the things they experienced when kids that shouldn't be there at the age as they were confronted with whatever traumatic experience they had.

Although ultimately losing that memory also sounds too much if I think about it. You never really know how the outcome will be in later ages, but it could go wrong and if one could ask before things go wrong to get some medicines that can make life somehow bearable for them, then why not?
edit on 0b05America/ChicagoSun, 19 Feb 2017 11:06:05 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSun, 19 Feb 2017 11:06:05 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

When I first saw this post,this moment was exactly what I was thinking of.Nice job!

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Delete the “fear or threat” memories. Sounds like the conspiracy theory to end all conspiracy theories.

Literally.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Yeah, I wouldn't want to forget what I learned from my Ex-wife, I learned never to even think about dating someone who is bi-polar again. We learn from our mistakes, erasing those memories can mean we will make them again.

Hogwash. That is not the solution to most people's problems, it is better to help people to learn how to deal with these issues and properly avoid situations which would cause a repeat of the issue.

They string you along in psychiatry till the money is about to run out then they address the issue in the last couple of weeks. I have seen this, the person does not get better till right at the end of the allowed amount of treatments in this field. I talk to people about these, I also had first hand knowledge from after my accident where I got epilepsy and that made lots of changes to my thinking. But the meds messed up my thinking way worse than the Temporal lobe epilepsy did.

I still have the epilepsy but I can control that with diet, it is not the easiest, because my wife likes the good foods I can't eat and I like those foods. If I could take a pill it would be nice, but the problems from all these meds mess me up and it is because of problems with detoxing these meds and circulation problems from these meds that cause me so much problems.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think it's good for people with mental problems, for those who can't be socially adapted because of bad memories.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

You're on the right track. Memories are created in one part of the brain & stored there for easy access for a few days (short term memory). For example, think of a situation like you've decided to go for a Sunday drive out in the country along roads or parts of roads you've never traveled. Your short term memory automatically notes landmarks and helps map out where you are to help you get back home. When you've gone far enough, you need easy, immediate access to the map created on your way out. After a couple of days when you don't need the map handy, it's transfered to long term storage in your brain. As you age, the connection between short term memory & long term memory weakens. In worse case scenarios, you'll see dementia and associated disorders where the person is "stuck" in long term storage and unable to return to the present. As we age, we also lose neurotransmitters (chemicals in the brain that carry impulses cell to cell) and we'll start to have a thought then it's gone or we walk into a room then don't remember why. That becomes a disorder of short term memory. If we don't make short term memories, we can't make long term memories. When we don't make short term memories correctly, we do silly things like make a wrong turn coming back from the grocery store even though we've done it a million times. It is the long term memory map that tells us we made a wrong turn but in reality, each time you go to the grocery store, you make a short term memory map so you can get home rather than accessing the long term memory map. Once you've made the wrong turn, you automatically stop & think what you should do and then access the long term storage map. Biologists & Biochemists think that perhaps we do that because it takes more energy to access long term memory and perhaps, even specific types of energy (eg: glucose vs. lipids).

Have a great day!!
~LB

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Sounds good, until Apple and Android get a hold of it and AI runs it.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Doctor: 'Oops, I accidentally erased all of your memories of alt history that deviates from the office history books'. 'Oh, I also accidentally erased some neurons that were causing an aversion to authority'.

'Sorry about that'.
edit on 19-2-2017 by ClovenSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I have to agree. Deleting long term memories would be catastrophic. The only time I can think of to use that would be recent adult victims of violent crimes (personalities already fully developed) and maybe, and I mean maybe, children who have witnessed or been victims of violent crimes or abuse (not fully formed personalities). Removing "fear" is extremely dangerous. Fear is an evolutionary adaptation to keep us alive. It is necessary to know fear for things as simple as knowing to look both ways for traffic before crossing a street. Anxiety is normal & necessary to help us not to act foolishly. Overly anxious people & people with what they call "irrational fears or anxieties" who haven't been exposed to violence or other life changing situations, would not be improved by removing memories. There wouldn't be a memory to remove.

As to PTSD, I understand why some think it would be a good idea. But, how do they find THE memory or memories causing the flashbacks, anxieties, anger, outbursts, etc... without also removing the important associated things like the brotherhood of the squad, pride in a job well done, perhaps a life saved, etc... The good is intertwined with the bad. Without the good, the soldier may loose his sense of purpose & become suicidal or without the bonding experience, he might never be able to bond & thereby, loose his marriage or be able to keep a job & becomes yet another homeless veteran. Perhaps, if the memory is in the short term portion of the brain, they could block it from long term memory or remove it. It may turn out that PTSD is caused by short term memories failing to process & convert to long term memory and simply by having them as the dominant memory (short term current memory), the patients are much more affected by them.

Without years of study, practice & refinement, I'll keep by bad memories that helped make me who I am. I made a conscious decision to not be racist as parts of my family. I made a conscious decision to be kind always after being a victim of abuse. I made a conscious decision to never give up on my marriage as both of us watched all the marriages around us fall apart or just be given up on. Without the bad, there is no good by comparison.

Yes, I have irrational fears (heights, bridges, tunnels, claustrophobia, anything that could be considered an authority figure) as a result of my upbringing & life lessons so far but without them, I'm not me. Yes, these irrational fears are sometimes disruptive in my life and sometimes there's some pharmaceuticals involved but the bad memories help keep me on the straight and narrow. I don't think I'd give them up.
edit on 02/14/17 by LittleBurgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Why Derp?

Very important point of discussion I think. Please give me evidence showing me where memories are stored in the brain. Yes they hypothesise that they are stored in the brain. But I'm sure even now they still can't find the physical part of the brain that does this...

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Bankaikiller

Here's an article about encoding memories. There are a bunch of other links to other articles on the site pertaining to how memory works if you're interested. It's a little sciencey so feel free to holler if you have questions.

www.human-memory.net...

The article above talks about how memories are stored. It remains somewhat hypothetical. It's important to know when talking about removing memories, that a memory is dissected into the various senses involved and after approval, it is stored fully or partially in long term memory in those sense & perception fragments.

Here's that incredibly cool video of thought/memory being formed that you've probably already seen since it's a couple of years old:

www.thecollectiveint.com...

Childbirth is an interesting memory to consider. It is often considered the most difficult & painful time of a woman's life. But, but, but wait...If she remembers it accurately, she'd never have another child, right??? So, is there possibly a biological, evolutionary system involved in the way the memory is processed that somehow helps the woman to remember it as "not so bad" & "yeah, I could do that again" until the time comes and she says, "what was I thinking doing this again?!?!". Isn't it possible that when the memory was originally processed, the brain "intentionally" left out all of the sensory (ie: pain) info for propagation of the species? What happens if we erase a bad childbirth experience? Do we end up with more offspring than we can support? Or does the population shrink because the entire thought of childbirth is absent so no one has any kids?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: fluff007

Hi Fluff,

Try this article & a couple of others from the same site. It is proved that the brain stores memories. As to whether or not other organs might store memories, I'm at a loss. They've studied human organs pretty thoroughly and haven't found any neurons similar to brain cells in form or function as far as I know.

www.human-memory.net...

Have a great day!!
~LB

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleBurgh

Thank you for the link, I have to go to work, but will read later!

In the article it states:

And in groundbreaking studies on mice, they were able to pinpoint those brain cells associated with “fear or threat” memories - and delete them.

Brain cells associated with memories - aren't the memories themselves. There are definitely far better, easier and cheaper ways to deal with bad memories. Though I don't think I can mention them on ATS because of T&Cs.

There has been a constantly building amount of research done into the latter I am talking of and with an excellent success rate.

I prefer to keep all my memories, they make me who I am!

I hope you have a good day too

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I was in a major car accident in 1983, which has left me disabled and in constant pain. I was in the passenger seat (on a date). I can't remember anything from about 5 minutes before it happened, until I was in the Intensive Care at the hospital with my father standing over me asking how much beer did I drink. I have no recollection of being cut out of the car, having to be resuscitated twice, or being stabilized in the ER. I have the documents that say I was awake when they got me out, and apparently I kept repeating "I'm sorry." I have read about it all, and "know" what happened, but it's like reading about someone else. I can't connect that it was me. My brain has taken all those memories and blocked them. Even 34 years later and lots of therapy, I can't access them. One could argue that it's because of being highly medicated, but until they were able to ascertain my blood alcohol level, they were unsure what they could give me.

The brain is a wonderous thing! It can protect you - why for some people and not others, I don't know. Everything I went through to recover has made me the person that I am today. If I had someone mucking about my brain to erase those memories, would I remember the accident? Would I have been able to teach my children, and their friends, about the danger of drinking and driving? How would I reconcile my injuries and subsequent surgeries with no memory of the fight I had to get to this place? I wasn't supposed to walk again, but I can. I had 3 children (two of which are twins), when the odds were sacked against me. Would I have been so determined to lead a normal life if I had no memory of trying to recover?

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but I wanted to show that sometimes the brain knows what it needs to do. And the bad memories are essential to aim for something better. I think this is a BAD idea.
edit on 2/20/2017 by Lolliek because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Lolliek

That's pretty much what I think, too. By deleting the bad memory, one wouldn't be able to reconcile things like you mentioned (surgical scars, pain, etc...) but also irrational fears. As an example, I am claustrophobic, seriously claustrophobic, but there's absolutely no reason for it. As fsr as I know, I was never trapped in a well or buried alive or anything. Then, oddly enough, on a heavy drinking day, my dad accidentally blurted a secret he'd been keeping for 25 years or so. As a premature & unhealthy baby, I cried.... alot apparently. So, one time, at his wits end (and probably well into his martinis), he held a pillow over my face until I stopped crying. Parenting at it's finest. I have no accessible memory of the event but somewhere in my deep cerebral sulci, there is stored each fragment of my senses, impressions & emotions of being suffocated. Although I can rationalize that a tunnel is a tunnel and is probably stable & safe, I will unconsciously begin to panic, hold my breath, get dizzy, etc... And it doesn't just manifest with tunnels & tight spaces. I have an odd aversion to decorative throw pillows. It's not that I don't think they're comfy or pretty. It's more like a trust issue. Yes, I tried therapy & I would subconsciously move the pillows to the far end of the couch. By the time my hour was up, I'd pretty much un-decorate the poor woman's whole office. I must have done it regularly because she finally asked me one day if I even noticed I got up and moved the pillows & turned certain knickknacks that bugged me. Nope, never noticed. Now I notice & try not to but I still move pillows close to me. I cover it by offering them to other people. Geeeez, I'm weird!!

Anyway, the point is, if you remove the bad memory, whether by trauma or procedure, you'd be left with associated behaviors with no context. And without their context, it's virtually impossible to amend the behaviors.

Happy Monday, Everyone!!
edit on 02/14/17 by LittleBurgh because: Misspelled words

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: fluff007

The problem I find with how that's stated is that there aren't cells that contain whole memories. Each memory is divided into the smell, sound, sight, perhaps taste and feel as well as the emotion & overall impression. These packets of sensory & emotional information is sent to different parts of the brain that handles each type of packet.

Fear & threat are emotions & therefore would be associated with the amygdala. It receives sensory info & determines emotional response.

"Stimulation of the amygdala causes intense emotion, such as aggression or fear." nba.uth.tmc.edu...

Perhaps in the course of studying the amygdala & associated or near by brain tissues, they've found cells integral to biochemically generating fear or threat response. All I hear is "No fear Super Soldier" when the military gets a hold of it.

I'm excited to see if it's repeatable by others & holds up to the scrutiny of the scientific community.

Have a happy day!!

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Happiness by the kilowatt..
This sound's like a very bad idea.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Although that "might" help some people recover from traumatic experiences, cant think that maybe we are heading for "Total - Recall".

Peace

top topics

<< 1   >>

join