It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New U.S. Travel Ban To Spare Green Card Holders: Trump official

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Reuters
A new version of a Trump administration travel ban will not stop green card residency holders or travelers already on planes from entering the United States, U.S. Secretary for Homeland Security John Kelly said on Saturday.

U.S. President Donald Trump's initial attempt to clamp down for security reasons on immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries and on refugees snarled to a halt amid a judicial backlash and chaos at airports.

"The president is contemplating releasing a tighter, more streamlined version of the first (order). And I will have opportunity to work (on) a rollout plan, in particular to make sure that there's no one in a sense caught in the system of moving from overseas to our airports," Kelly said at the Munich Security Conference.

Probably the closest thing you'll get to Donald Trump admitting defeat. I waited all week for this ... and it gets here on Saturday.

Most telling is the mention of a "Rollout Plan" ... which tells me there are gonna be concessions (and unhappy Trump voters) somewhere in the future.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I don't actually think that anybody, even Trump, actually wanted green card holders to be banned.
The DHS was not enforcing that from the very beginning.
I think they had the wording in there so that they "could" stop someone with a green card if they had a reason to.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The "Green Card" thing was not really in the "old" EO I think because Green Carders don't need a visa.

They clarified it just the same.

In the meantime, the other parts of the EO are moving along, and Green Card people are getting re-vetted upon re-entry into the U.S. a little harder.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
GOOD. He should have worked this in in the first place instead of racing to put it out a la "FIRST!!!"

I don't particularly care if we suspend future visas for people in specific countries short-term. I don't much care for invalidating issued visas for people already in transit, and I have a MASSIVE problem with green card holders getting swept up in this s#. Lumping them in was a huge oversight, and showed there wasn't much care shown for detail to begin with. At least he sucked it up and fixed that one.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
That should have been written in the first plan. I think Trumps administration thought it would probably go like that because common sense is usually used in business changes. But this is our government, common sense is not allowed, I think that the new administration has realized that now.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Here's the old EO with the "restraining order" parts struck out.

What parts refer to Green Card people ?

Or what parts are implied ?

Trump EO with struck parts lined out

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I always said that you can't call it a Muslimban if 1.2 Billion people aren't on the list. The EO is necessary to keep the USA safe why is that so hard to grasp? I'm convinced that the Green Card thing was a honest mistake on Trumps part but his people worked pretty fast and hard to fix that issue.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I agree. I think there was chaos at the TSA and airports because there were people who just stopped everyone instead of actually using their heads.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Probably the closest thing you'll get to Donald Trump admitting defeat. 

Defeat nothing. You can slow him down but you won't stop him. Your thread is the proof.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Better late than never. Should have thought of this in the first place.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
What parts refer to Green Card people ?

Or what parts are implied ?

This part about immigrant and nonimmigrant entry

I hereby proclaim that the immigrant and nonimmigrant entry into the United States of aliens from countries referred to in section 217(a)(12) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1187(a)(12), would be detrimental to the interests of the United States,

Because immigrant visas vs nonimmigrant visas

What is the difference between an immigrant and nonimmigrant visa?

An immigrant visa is the visa issued to persons wishing to live permanently in the U.S.

A nonimmigrant visa is the visa issued to persons with a permanent residence outside the U.S. but who wishes to be in the U.S. on a temporary basis (i.e. Tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work, or study.

A green card is an immigrant visa and that was specifically mentioned in the EO.

edit on 18-2-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

a reply to: daskakik

A green card is an immigrant visa and that was specifically mentioned in the EO.

U.S. Green Card holders do not need a visa to come back to the U.S.

International Travel as a Permanent Resident

What documents do I need to present to reenter the United States?

If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card). When arriving at a port of entry, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will review your permanent resident card and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License, and determine if you can enter the United States. For information pertaining to entry into the United States, see U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s webpage.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Did you even bother to read the link? If you did I guess you missed the part that said "persons wishing to live permanently in the U.S.".

It also happens to be where your quote directs people.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Did you even bother to read the link? If you did I guess you missed the part that said "persons wishing to live permanently in the U.S.".

It also happens to be where your quote directs people.

Those are people with visas and do not yet have Green Cards.

An immigrant visa is the visa issued to persons wishing to live permanently in the U.S.

People with Green Cards do not need a visa to return to the U.S.

Exception being somebody who has been out of country for over 1 year, then they do need a special visa or reason.

Returning Resident Visas

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Those are people with visas and do not yet have Green Cards.

No, people with visas that don't have a green card have nonimmigrant visas.

This site lays it out in layman's terms.

The terms “green card” and “immigration visa” can be used interchangeably.

Here is a gov site using it in that way.

Green Card Through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program

Wish I had a more solid example but it is what I found.

ETA: Here is a bit from 8 U.S. Code § 1255 - Adjustment of status of nonimmigrant to that of person admitted for permanent residence which seems to indicate that an immigrant visa is what someone admitted for permanent residence is issued to enter while they get their actual "green card".

(a) Status as person admitted for permanent residence on application and eligibility for immigrant visa
The status of an alien who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States or the status of any other alien having an approved petition for classification as a VAWA self-petitioner may be adjusted by the Attorney General, in his discretion and under such regulations as he may prescribe, to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence if (1) the alien makes an application for such adjustment, (2) the alien is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and is admissible to the United States for permanent residence, and (3) an immigrant visa is immediately available to him at the time his application is filed.

edit on 18-2-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

And Green Card holders still don't need visas to travel back to he U.S. where they live.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Never said they did. People already vetted and approved for a green card, holding an immigrant visa because their green card was in the mail, were affected by the EO.

The explanation was a bit dumbed down but the claim was valid.

If you want to split hairs, the law never mentions "green cards". Both the resident alien card and the immigrant visa are documents which show the same resident status.

You asked and I pointed it out. You are free to disagree with the judge all you want but it doesn't change anything.
edit on 19-2-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Monday, March 6, 2017

Latest information on new Travel Ban, to be fully revealed later today...

""The Trump administration is expected to unveil a new travel ban executive order today, senior administration officials tell ABC News.

The new executive order officially revokes and replaces the controversial order signed by President Trump in January and blocked by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals last month. The new order has been crafted to withstand legal challenges, exempting permanent legal residents and applying only to future visa applicants, not those who already hold valid visas.

The new order also narrows the list of counties targeted, limiting travel and immigration from six majority-Muslim countries -- Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia, Iran and Libya -- instead of seven.

Iraq has been removed from the original list at the urging of the Pentagon and State Department, where officials worried that keeping Iraq on the travel ban list could hinder the U.S. fight against ISIS.

The provision on refugees has also been changed: The new order puts a temporary halt on all refugees entering the United States. The first order applied only to Syrian refugees.

Sources say President Trump was reluctant to replace the original executive order and wanted to continue fighting to defend it in court, signing this one as a supplement of the first.

His legal team, however, made the case that the first one had to be revoked and he reluctantly decided to defer to them.""

SOURCE: abcnews.go.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

And yet, they're still giving Canadians a really hard time at the border

A Canadian woman travelling on a Canadian passport says she was turned away at the U.S. border and told she needed a valid immigrant visa to enter the country.

Manpreet Kooner, 30, is a Canadian citizen who was born to Indian parents in Canada and raised here. She now lives in Montreal's LaSalle borough.

She told CBC she was on her way from Montreal to a spa in Vermont for a day trip with two friends Sunday afternoon, but she never made it.

Kooner said she was held at the border for six hours before being turned away.

At one point, she said, a border agent told her: "'I know you may feel like you've been Trumped,'" an apparent reference to U.S. President Donald Trump.

She's not immigrating to the US, a Cdn citizen, born here, but needs to apply for immigration to the states, just to enter for a couple of days.
Our news has a lot of these situations now, and while the above woman has dark skin, I've heard people with white skin are also making the news.

As this goes on, with countries and people not on the travel ban list, I'm guessing tourism in the US is about to slow right down. It's just not worth the hassles.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
March 10, 2017

THIS NEW REVISED TRAVEL BAN APPEARS TO BE MORE DURABLE.

""A U.S. federal court on Friday refused to put an emergency halt to Republican President Donald Trump's revised travel ban, saying lawyers from states opposed to the measure needed to file more extensive court papers.

States led by Washington and Minnesota challenged Trump's original executive order, issued in January, which sought to restrict travel from seven Muslim-majority countries and stop refugees from entering the U.S.

Seattle U.S. District Court Judge James Robart issued a temporary restraining order against the first policy last month, and when Trump issued a narrower version of the ban on Monday, listing only six countries, opponents sought to halt its implementation as well. Robart on Friday declined to apply his first order to the new ban.""

Source: www.msn.com...

top topics

join