It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Trump Appointee Says, Thanks, but No Thanks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
First, Vice Admiral Robert Harward turns down the offer to replace Flynn as NatSec Advisor, citing financial and family issues. Very gracious.

Retired Vice Adm. Robert Harward cited "financial and family issues that would have been challenging in this position" in explaining his decision to decline the offer.

Other sources close to Harward say Trump's press conference was the catalyst for a final "no thank you".

Next up, General Petraeus. He was not invited to Florida this weekend and is off the list.
Reuters

A source familiar with the matter said Petraeus, like Harward, wanted control over staffing decisions within the NSC, and Trump was reluctant to grant that authority.

This morning, Major Garrett of CBSNews is learning that Philip Bilden is expected to pass on the Secretary of the Navy position.

Not good, folks, not good.

It seems to be the major sticking points are wanting to have control over their respective staff picks, and not wanting Bannon on the Principles Committee of the National Security Council.

Trump is going to have a difficult time filling positions with quality people of integrity if he continues down this path, IMO, which is detrimental to all of us.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Probably too many skeletons he didn't want exposed.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Petraeus should never even be talked about again in government.

The guy committed a felony and walked away with a misdemeanor charge. I'll leave it at that.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Who would want to get crucified by the Ruling Establishment's MSM?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Was Petraeus a genuine choice, or did he just rule himself out, without being asked?

If he was asked, I'm sure many American eyebrows would have been raised.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Seriously? You think men who led troops in the ME are going to turn down the offer to serve their country at the highest level because of possible criticism from the press? That excuse doesn't pass the smell test, friend.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Olivine

Trump is going to have a difficult time filling positions with quality people of integrity if he continues down this path, IMO, which is detrimental to all of us.

Seems Obama did fine by filling positions left and right with incompetent people of little or no integrity... There are a lot of people who do not want the stress and work these positions will create for them. You are a retired 4 star you most likely do not need it...

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

General Petraeus wouldn't have been on many people's short-lists, but I do respect that he took his punishment.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Just get Flynn again. He can't have gone too far.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
you really need to have a bit more imagination here. If the deep state is as intent on getting rid of trump as some have alluded to (trump will die in prison and so on) then people who are willing to talk like that under the cover of anonymity surely would have no problem getting a burner phone and making some threatening phone calls to people who might consider an important position and thereby lend more credibility to Trumps admin which they are obviously trying to undermine.

Most of these people have families that could be easy targets of random car accidents and the like. Use your imagination.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I would NEVER be asked to fill a gov position. (did get offers for law enforcement even after a very brief failure of a stint in the NAVY)

I respect this President too much to let my failures tarnish his name.

Personally,I think it would be nice to see that be the case.

But I know to wait for President Trump's comments before making any assumptions.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

Honor is more valuable than gold.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

It's actually worse than that.

It's been confirmed that Trump wouldn't agree to his only 2 conditions:

1 - Straight line - reporting and otherwise - directly to the President.

2 - Wanted to return the NSC to it's original group of members (by position) as it had been set up in past administrations. In others words - No political people on the National Security Council - bye bye Steve Bannon who has no business there in the first place.

Best quote of all: Harward called the National Security Advisor role in current administration "A sh#t sandwich".

You gotta love that one...

It's a real shame. He would have been *excellent* in that role.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I totally agree, it is a shame and our nation's loss. Especially, after I read this 2013 essay penned by Harward.

I'm a liberal and fully supported him as NatSec Adviser.
edit on 2/18/2017 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I forgot about Vincent Viola, Trump's original Army Secretary nominee.

Trump nominated Vincent Viola, a billionaire Wall Street trader, to serve as his Army secretary without consulting him (Viola has since bowed out because of personal financial issues).

To Cobaltic, in response to your question:

Was Petraeus a genuine choice, or did he just rule himself out, without being asked?

He was reported to be a possible Flynn replacement by Fox News, US News, HuffPo and many others.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I'd honestly say no too! you would be on every tabloid and hated by the media and ante would have a hay day for everything you'd do... screw em all.. hope trump cleans the swamp, he's trying but failing because the demiliberals can't take it.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Petraeus should never even be talked about again in government.

The guy committed a felony and walked away with a misdemeanor charge. I'll leave it at that.

Yet Trump wanted to hire him

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
They never asked me to run for the position yet, I have no experience in that area. That means I probably would do a good job at it since I do not already have a big head.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Probably didn't want t o tarnish his own legacy.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Olivine

This morning, Major Garrett of CBSNews is learning that Philip Bilden is expected to pass on the Secretary of the Navy position.

It seems as if Major Garrett's reporting 8 days ago was spot on.
Fox News (3 hours ago)
Philip Bilden withdraws name from nomination.

In a statement released by the Pentagon, Philip Bilden he determined that he would not be able to satisfy the Office of Government Ethics requirements without what he called "undue disruption and materially adverse divestment of my family's private financial interests."

Just to put a point on Sean Spicer's credibility, see his tweet from the 18th, rebutting Mr. Garrett's reporting:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join