It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burma's military murders & rapes citizens - then declared the media an "enemy of the state."

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

"Those who are threatened by information believe that silencing journalists will prevent the global community from knowing what's happening inside a given country. CPJ is proud to honor four courageous journalists who refused to be silenced,"

cpj.org...

This story shows how allowing the government to operate unchecked is dangerous. No, I am not implying this is what America has become, but it's a dark road.

No matter what political beliefs you hold, supporting members of the press who are holding the government accountable including POTUS is a commitment to transparency.

Everyone has a POTUS they disagree with. When yours comes into power, are you going to allow them get away with anything? No, we shouldn't.
edit on 18-2-2017 by bananasam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: bananasam

Sad state of affairs.. Western media is well controlled already it is full of deep state produced propoganda usually to support the military complex.

Media should be based on verifiable objective facts.. The only outlet to do that to date is wikileaks..

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I am all in favor of not taking the 'news' industry at face value. This in part because msm is after all, 'corporate media' and an important realization when hearing what they have to say.
And yes, that corporate media has been used as a tool of the establishment to guide and coerce generations of Americans to go to war and buy this product and to vote for this person.
Yes oh yes. If this is just now entering ones awareness then welcome to the club of adulthood.

But to toss it all away as 'fake news' should be of great concern. We have examples of tyrants who owned media empires. Hearst quickly comes to mind. And Murdock. But at least those tyrants had to compete in the msm marketplace. What we are facing now is an attempt to not just compete but to slaughter any competition by a would be tyrant and his cabal who now has the pulpit of the American throne to shout from.

Trump is 'fake news'. He would have us believe that he and he alone is the voice of reason, of truth, of information. Truth must receive his blessing to be truth. Doesn't that scare anyone?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I thought the government of Myanmar has been permanently killing and raping its citizens for a couple decades now, sometime after they changed the name from Burma. Bastards are quite brutal too. If only there were a real John Rambo that could go in there and teach them the occasional lesson.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Aww the poor journalists upset because in some parts of world theyre actually held accountable for what they write .

As to burma nothing new there theyve been slaughtering each other for the last 50 years .

Funny how up till now the "journalists" have been silent about it .

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Where was all this concern the last eight years as our press became the propaganda arm of the Obama Administration?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Where was all this concern the last eight years as our press became the propaganda arm of the Obama Administration?

Yeah and where was the outrage calling Fox News FAUX NEWS for the same period of time.

Amazing how many people are losing their collective snips calling the media out for what it is.

Hell ATS been calling out the media for years.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Wow. Your posts really do cause me to feel very sad.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Wow. Your posts really do cause me to feel very sad.

Hypocrisy police here:
When 99.99% of your posts contain a generic meme and a one line reply you have no leverage to call anyone else out.
Here is your fine.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Yeah. TRANSPARENCY seems to be a word that has been lost to the mists of time.

FFS!! When a POTUS insists his statements are true (even though they are not), and then declares that was just the information he was given, and furthers it by addending:

The news is fake because so much of the news is fake.
--- Donald J. Trump. 45th President of the United States of America on 16 Feb 2017.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Honestly I don't believe I've ever delivered a "one-line reply."

So, now that we have that sorted --- what was your meaning in your post?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: JAY1980

Honestly I don't believe I've ever delivered a "one-line reply."

So, now that we have that sorted --- what was your meaning in your post?

?????? For real?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

So your more concerned by the way DJT calls out MSM when they push BS and turn the news into the equivalent of grocery checkout tabloids, all the while not one single time having censored a single goddamn piece of journalism at all, and are simply using the suffering of the Rohingya (sic) who are quite brutally genocided every so often by the military junta that has been doing the same for decades now.

Have you actually seen some of the atrocities?? They are quite horrific, and routinely victimize young children, even infants. Chopped to pieces and shot apart, families devastated, people burned alive and beaten in the process so they can't extinguish it. But the important things to remember, according to you, is that DJT giving the MSM talking heads a verbal smacking around is the equivalent to censorship and silencing the press.

Silencing the press means you use coercion and intimidation to keep the journalists from asking questions, not just outright ignoring them with a slap of humor and ridicule.

Frankly I am appalled that one would use the tragedy of that country and its people to take a cheap shot at the President for a non-issue. The two are vastly worlds apart, universes even. Its like the twilight zone up in here!
edit on 2-18-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I am all in favor of not taking the 'news' industry at face value. This in part because msm is after all, 'corporate media' and an important realization when hearing what they have to say.
And yes, that corporate media has been used as a tool of the establishment to guide and coerce generations of Americans to go to war and buy this product and to vote for this person.
Yes oh yes. If this is just now entering ones awareness then welcome to the club of adulthood.

But to toss it all away as 'fake news' should be of great concern. We have examples of tyrants who owned media empires. Hearst quickly comes to mind. And Murdock. But at least those tyrants had to compete in the msm marketplace. What we are facing now is an attempt to not just compete but to slaughter any competition by a would be tyrant and his cabal who now has the pulpit of the American throne to shout from.

Trump is 'fake news'. He would have us believe that he and he alone is the voice of reason, of truth, of information. Truth must receive his blessing to be truth. Doesn't that scare anyone?
yes. It offends my intelligence.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananasam

"Those who are threatened by information believe that silencing journalists will prevent the global community from knowing what's happening inside a given country. CPJ is proud to honor four courageous journalists who refused to be silenced,"

cpj.org...

This story shows how allowing the government to operate unchecked is dangerous. No, I am not implying this is what America has become, but it's a dark road.

No matter what political beliefs you hold, supporting members of the press who are holding the government accountable including POTUS is a commitment to transparency.

Everyone has a POTUS they disagree with. When yours comes into power, are you going to allow them get away with anything? No, we shouldn't.

From the Ops link :

Iranian freelance journalist Siamak Ghaderi, who was released in July after spending four years in prison, received his International Press Freedom Award from journalist Maziar Bahari, who was jailed in Iran in 2009. Ghaderi had previously been an editor and reporter for the Islamic Republic's official news agency IRNA. Rebecca MacKinnon, co-founder of Global Voices Online, presented an award to Burmese journalist Aung Zaw, founder and editor-in-chief of The Irrawaddy, which was branded an "enemy of the state" by the former military regime and still comes under pressure from the current Burmese government. Alan Rusbridger, editor of The Guardian, honored Mikhail Zygar, editor-in-chief for the Russian independent TV channel Dozhd, which provides a rare alternative to Kremlin-controlled federal stations. Clarence Page, a Pulitzer prize-winning columnist from the Chicago Tribune, presented Ferial Haffajee, editor-in-chief of City Press in South Africa, with her award. Haffajee has faced fierce criticism and threats of violence against herself and her staff for critical stories published under her leadership. Recently freed International Press Freedom Awardee Nguyen Van Hai, who was in prison when his award was presented in 2013, delivered a powerful speech on Tuesday night, calling for the release of journalists worldwide.

All from wonderful garden spots on planet earth.. Very misleading title and premise for a tie-in to press freedom and Trump.. Burma/Myanmar has a problem with Muslims in the North.. They start Stuff and the local non Muslims start stuff right back... Which will bring the military in to stop the mayhem... Been going on for a long time and there are threads here at ATS discussing the events. Usually I will say if the military has to get involved the Muslims get the short end of what some would consider a fair deal.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It may have been the most damaging thing wikileaks have done so far. Releasing all those journalist in cahoots with the DNC and HRc campaign.
I don't think they will recover. They have lost the narrative. Truly in the infowar these days.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
With all due respect, I am not specifically calling out Trump for everything just because it's him. That's not fair. But this is unique in scope and danger.

I've lived in 2 countries with censorship and state run media. I know exactly what this is. It's intimidation. And this is just the beginning.

twitter.com...

"As dishonest as @RollingStone is I say @HuffingtonPost is worse. Neither has much money - sue them and put them out of business!"

- Trump

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Silencing the press means you use coercion and intimidation to keep the journalists from asking questions, not just outright ignoring them with a slap of humor and ridicule.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananasam
With all due respect, I am not specifically calling out Trump for everything just because it's him. That's not fair. But this is unique in scope and danger.

I've lived in 2 countries with censorship and state run media. I know exactly what this is. It's intimidation. And this is just the beginning.

twitter.com...

"As dishonest as @RollingStone is I say @HuffingtonPost is worse. Neither has much money - sue them and put them out of business!"

- Trump

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

So fabricated lies should have no consequences ? I do not care if you are a citizen or a public official who the press goes after with unverified and totally fabricated unvetted stories they should pay a price for their B.S. Just because you have a press badge is not a license to lie and smear.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join