It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I seriously dislike my generation.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Millennial here - And not proud of it.

I'm going to start painting with a rather broad brush, and be a little bit facetious , but realize that I do know that exceptions exist - That people are unique and not all people of one generation can be clumped into the same generalizations.... On the other hand, it seems as if a vast majority can.

Skill trades of my generation:
Tweeting. Texting. Messaging.
Posting on many things including facebook, instagram, snapchat, tumblr.
Recording short, pointless videos for a living. ( See people who are famous from vines )
Recording daily activities for a living ( Twitch TV )
Watching others do daily random pointless stuff.
An aptitude for computers and electronics in general.
Complaining loudly enough that older generations feel they have to change things to stop the complaining.

What abilities they seemingly lack...
The ability to wire a house - or even an outlet.
To plumb a house - or even fix a leak.
Build a wall. Or cabinets. Or table.
The ability to run machinery like tractors.
The ability to farm, grow gardens, raise animals for food...
Hell, just add 90% of manual labor skills onto this list. ( you know, the skills required to actually live )

What they look forward to:

Technology times a thousand, this is the way of the future, and all of the above does not matter. Can't swing a hammer? There's an app for that.
Can't fix the technology that's helping you with menial tasks? There's an app for that.

LBGQTA-BBLTTRNCBM ( Did I miss anything? ) rights , representation, and eventual rulership. This is very important to them. Don't question it.

Fair debates. Where conservatives and majorities have gags in their mouth, and statistics are officially deemed as dangerous and outlawed.

The removal of the electoral college. They hate it when California does not get to dictate the future of the country.

Really, though - All kidding aside, I really don't feel like I fit in with my generation. I don't feel something is owed to me, I don't feel as if every problem can be blamed on baby-boomers, I don't feel as if the Government has control over my life and decisions - I do live in a rural area, so some things are just naturally different ( and better, to me.. ) but such places are less and less popular for people my age. Towns around here are disappearing despite the lack of a substantial tourism market. The generations just above us are smart enough to invest in the area - Houses, hotels, and the like - And we keep busy enough, but the communities are growing smaller and smaller because the city has such an allure for high-school graduates and the like.

Anyways, I really don't know what to think. Really glad I got me a good down to earth conservative girl, though.

Deadlyhope

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Work to prove everyone wrong.
Edit:
I have worked with many good and bad mills.
I love the fact that your gen tells the managers to F-O when they are being idiots. I am a Gen X and as a whole we tend to gut it out to a point, then the F's start.
Your gen seems to have a hair trigger, and TPTB do no like it. But I do.
You are supposed to shut up and put up, your talents are to be exploited and when not needed, cast aside.
edit on 18-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It's a "Stepping Stone" towards

Nobody cares how you feel, actually.
edit on 18-2-2017 by Dnied because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I see your comments as more of a political issue than a generational one as you appear to have objections to people left of center whose demographic covers all ages and generations.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Yea I'm with ya.

Although while I agree with you, the bitching about "Millenials" has become about overdone and used up as bitching about "I miss the old ATS"...

I agree with both, but pointing it out will only get you so far...

I was born right on the cusp of the millennial cut off, so I see it too.
I think you make good points about not being able to fix or re/build anything.

I also know plenty of people in their 20s who are self employed entrepreneurs... so maybe it's just the kids your paying attention to.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Actually, no.

I am all for gay rights, I'm pro-choice, I was going to vote for Bernie Sanders. I lean to the left on the issues.

I'm against HOW this generation acts about these things. Violence and domestic terrorism, essentially. Whining, complaining, threatening. I'm just as against people on the right, I just don't see news coverage showing them terrorize their own cities because they're throwing a tantrum.

There's not as big of a platform for a conservative-right wing in my generation, not really.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I always try to acknowledge the bad, but strive to focus on the good.

I couldn't agree more with your stereotypical analysis of generations, but it does not speak for all involved. The good of it you may ask? Well, when robots take over the labor force tweeters will be forced to have their income subsidized by government. The only ones with a higher income potential will be those that can perform results to these technology operations. Of course some will gain monetary successes by tweeting and not knowing any of actual technology functional knowledge, but that does not necessarily equate to relating to the masses.

I keep expanding my trade knowledge... I don't have facebook or twitter. Other than people being on the internet while they are driving their 3000 Lb. missle's next to me at 70 MPH, I am happy as can be that people have their faces stuck in their phones... all I see is a higher income potential. I hope to refute all government financial aid in life, so that is why a self governed income is important to me.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

pah - lightweight i dislike my generation - and the ones before and after

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
Actually, no.

I am all for gay rights...

This comment seems to say otherwise:

LBGQTA-BBLTTRNCBM ( Did I miss anything? ) rights , representation, and eventual rulership.

What the hell is 'gay rights rulership' and where has anyone even advocated that?

I'm against HOW this generation acts about these things. Violence and domestic terrorism, essentially. Whining, complaining, threatening.

Right, because every millennial does this and it is only people in that age group perpetrating these actions.

There's not as big of a platform for a conservative-right wing in my generation, not really.

Good. I hope the right wing and the left wing drop dead, they did enough damage.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Teenagers:

Leave home.
Get a Job.
Pay your own rent.
Pay all your bills.
Cook all your own meals.
Wash your own clothes.
Do all these things now while you still know everything.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

It's because we are pissed off and not sure why.

We ain't stupid either, if it comes to violence it happens fast.

That being said, everyone has the learning curve to climb. We ain't paying for your crap, we'll pay for our own. Some might say we are greedy demanding more, I say the last generation were thick and a bit yellow-bellied.

Like all generations though... The next one will be even scarier.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

"I don't like 'libtards' or 'SJWs'."

Fixed your OP for you.
edit on 18-2-2017 by Shamrock6 because: punctuation is a science

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Little secret, everyone is pissed and don't know why.

The little secret is to figure it out.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You're acting as if I posted this in some type of factual, evidence-based, thoughtful forum.

I posted in the mud pit.

I'm slinging mud, as would be expected in a mud pit.

Alright let me give you an example.

I'm okay with trans people. I won't say pro, because I really don't think they need to be propped up or supported - I am just against discrimination against anyone not doing actual harm to me or others. The right is just butt-hurt that their Bible-beliefs ( which are oddly not IN the bible ) are not being represented the way they want.

But when a huge amount of news topics, media, social media and such include references to, what is it, .3, .03% of the population, and there's talks that they need more representation, rights, lawsuits can be waged if they are not recognized as what they identify with, etc, it gets ridiculous.

I actually "Identify" with being a libertarian. I want less government involvement in general, I lean left on the issues but that's mostly because I don't believe anyone should have the power or the right to stop you from living the form of a peaceful life that you prefer.

Now, a concession - None of this is my real world. It's the online world. It's when I turn on the stupid news, or log onto facebook, or this forum - These things don't actually exist where I live. I've never seen a liberal snowflake, nor a bigoted racist.

I am online, posting my views about what happens online, in the mud-pit forum. Calm down.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Well, that's true enough.

I also don't like a lot of things about my generation, though.

I think technology is # compared to true talent in a skilled profession. Technology has it's place, but being able to actual build or make something will always be important. I think I'd love to have been born a few decades earlier, where manual labor and talent in a skill trade mattered more.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

None of what you just posted has anything to do with millennials.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: deadlyhope
Actually, no.

I am all for gay rights...

This comment seems to say otherwise:

LBGQTA-BBLTTRNCBM ( Did I miss anything? ) rights , representation, and eventual rulership.

What the hell is 'gay rights rulership' and where has anyone even advocated that?

I'm against HOW this generation acts about these things. Violence and domestic terrorism, essentially. Whining, complaining, threatening.

Right, because every millennial does this and it is only people in that age group perpetrating these actions.

Good. I hope the right wing and the left wing drop dead, they did enough damage.

Since when do you get overly emotional and forget to take into consideration all of the OP's words? That seems un-Caeserly.

I agree with most of what the OP says. But I also agree with seasonal. I'm one of those types who doesn't gut stupidity for long. But I also know how to do all the basic skills you mentioned, and most to an expert level, and even more.

There's a lot of brats out there. But they're not only from the Millennial generation. There are, in fact, a lot of self-entitled Boomers and X'ers.

I would suggest you meet more people. It's not necessarily an age thing. It's a culture thing - and even then, there is a lot of false pride. There are people who think they're some big thing because they work 80 hours a week. The reality is that many of them live above their means and keep wanting more. Those people take time and jobs away from people who like being simple - working is never enough.

The real issue is a lack of love and consideration. Selfishness is not a stigma belonging to the Millenials. What the Boomers chose to raise is what they got. The selfishness is that Boomers think work is all there is. The entertainment industry raised their kids while they were busy pretending to be god.

Now the Millenials are in resentment mode. Some have suffered more than others.

Very few can say that they had a good home. A really good one.

That being said...

All work and no play is just as poisonous as all grins and no grit.
edit on 2/18/2017 by TarzanBeta because: Gramma.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Interesting take. Not to long ago actually I was reading something on the topic.

We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists

A new analysis of the American Freshman Survey, which has accumulated data for the past 47 years from 9 million young adults, reveals that college students are more likely than ever to call themselves gifted and driven to succeed, even though their test scores and time spent studying are decreasing.

Psychologist Jean Twenge, the lead author of the analysis, is also the author of a study showing that the tendency toward narcissism in students is up 30 percent in the last thirty-odd years.

This data is not unexpected. I have been writing a great deal over the past few years about the toxic psychological impact of media and technology on children, adolescents and young adults, particularly as it regards turning them into faux celebrities—the equivalent of lead actors in their own fictionalized life stories.

pioneerheadlines.files.wordpress.com...

Makes up for a good read and well put sociological analysis.

link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
Since when do you get overly emotional and forget to take into consideration all of the OP's words?

I am not emotional at all, I just think that was a very odd comment for someone professing to be for equal rights. Notice it was not answered?

There's a lot of brats out there. But they're not only from the Millennial generation. There are, in fact, a lot of self-entitled Boomers and X'ers.

Which is what I said. This is not a generational issue, it is a political one.

link   

There was a song written 98 years ago that I think speaks to this Deadly. It was called "How ya gonna keep em down on the farm" It was written in response to soldiers who had been to Europe in WWI. It questioned how the farm boys would be able to re-adjust to the quiet life after having been in the rousing capitals of Europe.

Here's the lyrics:
Reuben, Reuben, I've been thinking
Said his wifey dear
Now that all is peaceful and calm
The boys will soon be back on the farm
Mister Reuben started winking and slowly rubbed his chin
He pulled his chair up close to mother
And he asked her with a grin

[Chorus (sung twice after each verse):]
How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm
After they've seen Paree'
How ya gonna keep 'em away from Broadway
Jazzin around and paintin' the town
How ya gonna keep 'em away from harm, that's a mystery
They'll never want to see a rake or plow
And who the deuce can parleyvous a cow?

Rueben, Rueben, you're mistaken
Said his wifey dear
Once a farmer, always a jay
And farmers always stick to the hay
Mother Reuben, I'm not fakin
Tho you may think it strange
But wine and women play the mischief
With a boy who's loose with change

[Chorus (sung twice after each verse):]
How ya gonna keep 'em away from Broadway
Jazzin around and paintin' the town
How ya gonna keep 'em away from harm, that's a mystery
Imagine Reuben when he meets his Pa
He'll pinch his cheek and holler "OO-LA-LA!
After they've seen Paree'?

I suppose there is a message in this somewhere. I think it is that there is nothing wrong with millennial other than that many of them see the world via all the entertainment that our system pumps out on a daily and hourly basis.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join