It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was it Appropriate for this HUD Appointee to be Fired for Criticizing Donald Trump?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:15 AM
link   
February 17, 2017

U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Appointee, Shermichael Singleton, was apparently hired in the new Trump administration before his background check was finished. This week, his background check turned up an article that he wrote for "The Hill", back in October 2016. The article was highly critical of Presidential Candidate Trump, and the Republican party for adopting him as their nominee.

EXCERPT FROM: www.nytimes.com...

""A top aide to President Trump’s housing secretary nominee, Ben Carson, was fired and led out of the department’s headquarters by security on Wednesday after writings critical of Mr. Trump surfaced in his vetting, according to two people briefed on the matter.

Shermichael Singleton, who was one of the few black conservatives in the Trump administration, had been working at the Department of Housing and Urban Development since Jan. 23 as a senior adviser. He was preparing a cross-country tour for Mr. Carson, who is expected to be confirmed by the Senate this month.

But according to the two people briefed, Mr. Singleton’s background check had not been completed. As it was being finished this week, Mr. Trump’s advisers turned up public writings by Mr. Singleton that appeared during the later stages of the campaign in which he was deeply critical of the candidate.""

Here is Mr. Singleton's Article: thehill.com...

As you can see, he was pretty hard on candidate Donald Trump. But not viciously so. Donald Trump was verbally tougher on his Republican rivals, than Shermichael Singleton was on Donald Trump, in my opinion.

So what do you think ATS? Did Mr. Singleton's critical piece justify him being fired from HUD, less than 1 month after assuming his new position as a "Senior Advisor"? I get the impression that he didn't think Donald Trump had a chance at winning...and therefore had nothing to lose by criticizing him.

-CareWeMust
edit on 2/18/2017 by carewemust because: title adjustment

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Criticize your boss and tell me how that worked out.

These are core hires from a new administration and are always expected to set 'the tone'. This person should have withdrawn instead of showing clear conflicts.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   
If my employees are insubordinat or talked trash in anyway, it would be divisive to a good working environment. Then it GTFO time!! McDonalds is always hiring!

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   
One must not have a opposing view or critique of dear leader! He is very sensitive to alternative views.

Release the hounds!

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
One must not have a opposing view or critique of dear leader! He is very sensitive to alternative views.

Release the hounds!

Ask Charlie Sheen what happens when you criticize your boss.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   
At least several people were fired for comments about Michelle Obama. No, it's not appropriate and should definitely fall under free speech, but this is the stupid authoritarian world we live in.

Link1
Link2
Link3
Link4

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: gottaknow

I know. More and more it looks like we got crooked Hillary instead of the anti corruption he campaigned on.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   
If Carson fired him, fine.

He's his boss.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I know. More and more it looks like we got crooked Hillary instead of the anti corruption he campaigned on.

How do you arrive at that statement? Have you ever owned a business or managed one? I will take an educated guess on the second question and say no. If you had you would know exactly why he was let go and it has nothing to do with being Butt hurt. Have you ever worked in a place where an employee trashed the boss? It brings the morale of the entire work force down thereby reducing productivity. Sounds like the best move was made.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   

What part of the process do you not understand?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

yes it was

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
If you have a business it is important to get rid of people working for you that are saying bad things about your business. People do that, people get canned. If your not happy in your job, just go find another one, don't bash your employer, it will get you fired most times.

The guy should not have written that article, keeping yourself neutral is best. do you think that the Republican controlled congress and white house is going to prioritize funding for the areas that are bashing what they are doing. The Democrats have done the same thing, they do not want to give money to anyone who disagrees with what they are doing. Democrats tend to be worse at denying funds to areas that are not in agreement with them than republicans.

This is human nature. if California wants to get Federal funding, then shut the hell up and they will get funding. The squeeky wheel doesn't always get greased, sometimes it gets trashed and a new wheel replaces it.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: brutus61

originally posted by: MOMof3

How do you arrive at that statement? Have you ever owned a business or managed one? I will take an educated guess on the second question and say no. If you had you would know exactly why he was let go and it has nothing to do with being Butt hurt. Have you ever worked in a place where an employee trashed the boss? It brings the morale of the entire work force down thereby reducing productivity. Sounds like the best move was made.

The funny thing about those employees that trash the boss, they actually believe they were wronged for being let go or are proud of being fired and brag about the ruccus they made. You have to get rid of disruptive people like that, they mess up the whole crew.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Because MSM states it is because of an opinion piece authored by the "appointee" and published by The Hill two weeks before the election doesn't make it a firing based solely on the MSM's claim. Let me guess that the source no doubt "wishes to remain anonymous."

A 26-year old with a position of "senior adviser"? Highly doubtful that a 26-year old has the body of institutional knowledge, practical/applied experience, and mature world view needed to fulfill the responsibilities of such a position.

In visiting his web site, Singleton Strategies, LLC maybe it became obvious to others that he didn't have the chops.

Our campaigns are tailor-made to out clients needs.

Out clients needs? Is that the same thing as revealing to opponents the weaknesses of your client? He does boast that he worked on at least three failed campaigns: Ginrich, Romney, Carson.

We aim to meet our clients goals by utilizin a range of tactis including:

Alex, I'd like to buy a "g" and a "c".

Didn't Trump promise to ferret out leaks? I wonder if this claim on the web site shines a light on larger issues?

With extenstive relationships with producers, editors and reporters at major broadcast, print, and online outlets such as: CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC and print such as The Hill, The Washington Post, The Washington Times, The New York Times, Politico, The Wall Street Journal, The Daily Beast, The Daily Caller, The Root, and IJR (Independent Journal Review) allows us to deliver our client's message to a variety of audiences.

To answer your topic prompt, not if done prior to engagement. But (always a "but") if other deficiencies surface or other detrimental actions or behaviors occur that are not supportive, yes.

Kernel of wisdom: More time proof reading the web site, less time schmoozing the press.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I should be able to fire Donald Trump, right? I don't agree with a lot of what he says or how he says it.

He does work for the American people, right?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Yes very appropriate. I would expect to be fire too if I was criticizing my boss.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Well is something that the boss and employee have to work out, after all how can a presidential cabinet works in unison if they can not agree with each other on the ideas the president have or his plans.

Sometimes you need to have people that are loyal to you do get the job done, specially the offices of the president.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: gottaknow
At least several people were fired for comments about Michelle Obama. No, it's not appropriate and should definitely fall under free speech, but this is the stupid authoritarian world we live in.

Link1
Link2
Link3
Link4

I can agree with that, any boss should be able to take criticism, and perhaps discuss it, or deal with it.
It would be interesting to know exactly how this person was terminated as an employee.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
It's hard to run a cohesive team with people that are ideologically opposed to your goals, it might blur the line of free speech but it's sensible business to attempt to ensure you're all on the same page from the start.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
OK..the general consensus is that Shermichael Singleton deserved to be fired. That's fine. Perhaps people shouldn't be hired for upper-level positions until AFTER their background check is finished. The administration could be bringing anti-Trump "leakers" into the fold.
edit on 2/19/2017 by carewemust because: typo

new topics

top topics

join