It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-Body Carry. Not just NO, but HELL NO!

page: 1

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
This goes for male gun owners as much as female. Do NOT "carry" your gun in a purse or bag/backpack. Especially with children around who may have access to it. Moreover, if a gun is not on your person, and you are relieved of your bag/purse/backpack, not only did you just hand over your personal belongings to a criminal, you just armed that criminal. Off body carry is irresponsible and stupid and the facts support that position:

11-Year-Old Injured After Brother, 2, Finds Gun in Mother’s Purse, Pulls Trigger

Mom fatally shot when son, 2, grabs gun from her purse in Walmart

Three-year-old Texas boy dies after 'pulling gun from mother's purse and shooting himself in the head'

Tennesse e boy finds loaded gun in mom’s purse and accidentally kills brother while waiting in parked car

Guns don't belong in your god damned purse/bag/backpack. They belong on your person in a good holster with proper retention and trigger guard, or in a safe. This is especially true if you have children in your home.

Be responsible. Be safe.

Happy Shooting!

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I am a female and anyone who ever catches me with off body carry is free to smack me upside the head and ask me if I've lost my mind.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I'd agree with this.

As someone who's neither pro or anti gun personally I think this is the kind of hard nosed gun advice that if gun people would actually follow would make people a little more accepting toward the whole gun culture.

It's not a damn toy or some device like your phone. It's a weapon that can kill people. You should be in full control and full awareness of it at all times if you want to carry it around with you on your person. It's not an accessory or a piece of fashion wear. It's a damn weapon and if you are in charge of it, it's something that requires you knowing and controlling where it is at all times.

Either that or it's put somewhere safe where not just anyone can access it.

If someone innocent gets shot because you messed up carrying your gun that's on you. If someone else gets your gun and shoots someone else with it. It's as much your fault as it is theirs because they couldn't have shot anyone if you had control of your weapon.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

While I don't disagree, I'm still having a hard time finding an edc-ccw that isn't bulky, painful, or downright unconcealable.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Dress around your gun.

edit on 17 2 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   

100% agreed. You can never insure it's possession/use off-body. Even in a holster it can be relieved from you with effort, but at least you tried your best. Good advice.
edit on 2/17/2017 by jappee because: i kant spl, editd as well

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: jappee

That's the thing.

If you carry off-body you might as well not carry a gun at all.

Violent situations happen extremely fast. Having to dig through your purse or backpack for a gun is time consuming when milliseconds count.

Add the safety concerns outlined in my OP and it becomes a game of Russian roulette.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
If you have to zip something open and search for your firearm, you might as well have a knife.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Makes good sense to me, unless your swimming.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   

I understand what you're saying and mostly agree. My Grandmother carried a weapon in her purse for nearly 50 years and she never had a problem. My entire family has CC permits but my Grandmother is the only one in my massive family who has been forced to draw her weapon and put someone down. That guy picked the wrong house and the wrong old people lol. These days, people are stupid so I agree with you but if you're talking the parents of the Boomers, I guarantee you they have them EVERYWHERE.
That's the thing about old people. They have grown old for a reason. Haha. Js.
S & F for you.
edit on 18-2-2017 by ColdChillin because: (no reason given)

(post by savemebarry removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: gps777
Makes good sense to me, unless your swimming.

"Mate, thats one hell of a budgie you're smuggling!"
"Nah thats my pistol"
"True bro, it's huge..."
"No it's my gun."
"No need to brag mate... crikey..."

lol

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Even thugs have them snug in their loop-belts; why shouldn't you?

SnF

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
good on you zaphod.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I carry a hand cannon 45acp... Subcompact, 10 round, inside waistband...no strap, no safety (Glock)... Defender holster for carrying extra mag (I don't).

No bulk, no showing... Hugs tight into me at 5, 2 or 11o'clock positions depending... So,.. That's just one argument against your points...

MS
edit on 18-2-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

If that is too big for someone the single stack 9mm Glock 43 is small and quite thin. It can comfortably fit inside a pocket. If that is too much, there are a handful of tiny .380's and some other very small 9's.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

If you carry a knife in a defensive capacity, it must also be strapped to your body at all times, easily accessible, capable of being drawn and thrust, swung, or thrown VERY quickly. Anything you need for personal protection has to be capable of being deployed in a rapid and precise manner, whether it is a firearm or a melee weapon of some sort, otherwise you are down to fists. While that is not the same kind of problem for some people as it is for others, I think it goes without saying that A tool of some sort is preferable to no tool to get the job done with.

new topics

top topics

join