It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 14

page: 66
<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl
Jacy, I have have had that happen with people more often than I could care to count.

Like, today I began thinking about my son-in-law Karel. He said he'd get in touch with us today about some things that we need to sort out for my wife's care while I'm getting the flat painted and it'll be chaos (so she can't be here). And I kid you not, literally five seconds after I think about him, the doorbell rings. He decided to drop by (for the first time in weeks) instead of just phoning.

But I'm used to this. I still recall when my sister called me from London and I was in Australia. Years ago. Her first call in months. It was years ago and I'd just got home from a night shift, so it was after midnight. The phone rings and I pick it up and say, "Hi, Helen!"

Helen: "How did you now it was me?"

Me: "I just knew."

That's just me. It's abcedghijffing weird but for me, it's cool.

BTW, just let youtube roll. Soon, "Time" (Live) will be coming up.

edit on 6/3/17 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl
I am both 'honoured' and 'ashamed' at the same time!!
jacy

That's exactly how we felt!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

I just popped my ear-buds in, lol. *checks camera Band-Aid*

I have a lot of synchronicities like that too.
Sometimes I almost feel like I 'conjure' people up out of oblivion, lol.

Perfect tunes for me right now.
jacy

(Sock Puppet Lives Matter)

edit on 6-3-2017 by jacygirl because: spelled something wrong....where is spell check when you need it?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd
Shep, I've got an editorial query for you.
Line 2 of your text:

A heavy winged shape

Ok, do you mean "A heavy, winged shape" or "A heavy-winged shape"?

Both work for me, even though they present different images, but it needs to be one or the other, in my opinion.

Please forgive me for this unsolicited query.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Long ago -- like four decades ago or more when I was mere 20-y-o callow youth -- I accepted that we can just "tune in" to some people or situations, if we are willing to listen and accept those incoming signals or whatever they are. I still don't comprehend the how, but I cannot deny that at least in my experience, it happens.

PS: next up is "Us and Them" (if you click on it), so keep those earbud things in!

ETA: For those who want to listen in to some classic DSOTM Pink Floyd:

Put the headphones on and crank-it-UP!

Btw, for those who like trivia, the sax player is Dick Parry.

Awesome musician.
edit on 6/3/17 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

When our characters are real enough to us to elicit that sort of response, they have a shot at being real to the reader, don't you think?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

"Heavy, winged shape". The gith-gesaarm are flying, reptilian creatures about 12-16' long from tip to tail. Think demonic Velociraptor.

SO, that is a proofing error - thanks for catching it!

ETA: too late to catch it in the post. But I'm fixing it in the source document!

edit on 3-6-2017 by PrairieShepherd because: missed by '' that much!

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: PrairieShepherd

When our characters are real enough to us to elicit that sort of response, they have a shot at being real to the reader, don't you think?

Yes! Yes! Yes!
I completely agree with this statement/sentiment!! I have cried when certain characters in books/stories have died!

JustMike...There was actually a time in my life (about 10 years ago) when I could 'touch' a person and tell them things that I shouldn't have known. I shocked/scared a few people with that. Then people started asking me to do a reading of them, and after a while it seemed to fade just fade away.

Talking to self for a moment: I can't believe somebody (more than one?) thought I was a sock puppet...or pretending to be somebody else? Seriously? That would explain some of the strange reactions I've had since I came back online.
Hmm...such a conundrum. Needs some pontificating fer sure.

jacy

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I will prepare a short, pontificatory dissertation on the subject for you, Jacy.

Shep's brow furrows as the ever-fallible spell-check gives him a red-squiggly line on 'pontificatory' but not on 'squiggly'...

I need a donut. DANG! Red squiggly on 'donut' too, WTH?!?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Exactly. And it's essential.

As the great Robert Frost once said: “No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.”

He knew what he was talking about. I've lived by that in my writing. And truly, besides the tears (and the laughter), my characters have sometimes truly surprised me.

They have to be real to us. We have to feel for them and with them, love them or hate them, and even grieve with them and for them. If we do not have that emotional connection, how can we pass it on to others?

I used to lie awake at night and agonize over the main character in my story. I worried about her and how she felt, what she had to do next and how she would get through it all. Because it hurt me if she suffered.

But as creators of fragments of dreams come to life, that's what we do. It doesn't matter how many others even read our words, as long as those who do feel something of what we felt. We touch one person's mind, one person beyond our own immediate sphere, we have achieved something almost magical. You have done that with your words. And, from the messages I've received, I know that I did as well with what I have written.

That makes it all worthwhile.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

You wrote that reply perfectly. (that grammar sounds wrong but technically I'm still sick so, whateveh...)

How can you write about deep emotions if you don't feel them yourself? You can't relate...it wouldn't sound real...not to the really deep emotional people, anyways.
It's an amazing moment when somebody tells you that they loved what you wrote...or that it made them laugh! or cry.

My last story entry...I'm pretty sure I just really wrote that for myself. It took minutes...just came out of my fingers and I barely was thinking about it. But I sure do feel really strongly about The Shed, and all it's members (past/present/future). I am literally gob-smacked when I get compliments, never mind stars or flags! That all blows my mind a little because I feel like I'm surrounded by greatness in here.

Shep....Which version of spell-check are you using? I have downloaded the Canadian slang version, so donut and eh? are kewl...hehe...

jacy

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I can fix the post for you with my magical mod powers, but only with your permission: because I am "in thread" I must not take any moderator actions without your consent.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustMike
But as creators of fragments of dreams come to life, that's what we do. It doesn't matter how many others even read our words, as long as those who do feel something of what we felt. We touch one person's mind, one person beyond our own immediate sphere, we have achieved something almost magical. You have done that with your words. And, from the messages I've received, I know that I did as well with what I have written.

That makes it all worthwhile.

Beautifully put, Mike, and I agree 100%.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I can fix the post for you with my magical mod powers, but only with your permission: because I am "in thread" I must not take any moderator actions without your consent.

Then for the record, I give you permission to correct the post!

THANKS!

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

You wrote that reply perfectly. (that grammar sounds wrong but technically I'm still sick so, whateveh...)

As a professional editor I can assure you that your opening sentence is grammatically fine. Some might argue that "perfectly" belongs before "wrote" (as "perfectly" is an adverb), but these days we are not so fussed about that.

On to your other comments: sometimes the best things we write just seem to come out on their own. I love it when that happens. And yes. sometimes they're for ourselves or cathartic. But they can still be wonderful for others as well.

We're all equal here. Everyone has their own talents, but it's just the nature of this medium that those who write seem in some way "better" at times because they can throw together words in a way that looks pleasing to others. It's only a function of this medium and nothing more. In reality, we are truly equal, each with our own strengths and weaknesses.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I think it's just the standard Chrome spell-checker, actually. I actually don't pay that much attention to it. It just about has a digital heart-attack when I post stories to the Shed, because of all my crazy names and made up languages and such.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It's fixed.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

You rock! Thanks!

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Some might argue that "perfectly" belongs before "wrote" (as "perfectly" is an adverb), but these days we are not so fussed about that.

Ahh...hahaha...well if "Some" want to argue I shall slap them on the forehead! (I've been an editor in a few instances, mostly voluntary, for schools, groups, organizations...but I was a pretty anal one!)
Sometimes you write something and it just doesn't look right and makes you ponder! (or pontificate)

Shep...And I was just kidding, there really isn't a Cdn. slang spell check that I'm aware of.
All I know is that I make red squiggles all over my page!! Squiggle-meister status achieved!

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Oh how lovely to be pages behind and see all these wonderful people and posts!!!!!!!

Shep, loved the latest entry and the cool dragon-like creatures!

Gordi, loved the photo of the egg and your gorgeous boys!

jacy, so happy to finally see you and that you are feeling better!

Mason, I'll get to your interview soon.

JustMike, so happy to see you!!!!

People must cringe when I make a story entry. I tend to focus more on telling the story, rather than the proper way of telling it. I'm not a published author and write as a hobby, so I don't get too picky. LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join