It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 14

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.
I remember when that song came out. David Gates and Bread. He's 76 now, you know. But then, that song is from the 1970s, which for us humans is a long time ago.

It made me think of a couple of other songs from the time. One by Harry Nilsson, who passed away from a heart attack in 1994, when he was only 52 years old. That hit me pretty hard, because I loved his music. (Note: turn down the volume before you play this video, then move it up to suit you. It's way over the average loudness, IMO.)

You younger folks reading this, I know it's hard to imagine, but 52 ain't all that old. Yeah, when I was 20, I could not image being 40. That's normal. But now I'm 60, being 40 sounds pretty darned good. And that's also normal!

The other that came to mind was Eric Carmen. I'm glad to say he's still with us and he's "only" 67. This is one of my faves from him. It's a live version of his song "All by Myself":

I hear what you're saying, Eric. I don't wanna be all by myself either, but my perspective is different: it's what I dread most in the future, when the woman I love leaves me to walk her new path.

But for now, this song is one I long to play to her on our Bosendorfer grand piano, once we're settled in our home in the country. (We don't have the piano yet, but we'll get one second hand. She also loves to play.)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
You're super-glued in that little basket, Mason.

I now await your reply, which I know will be way more droll than anything I could come up with.

And no, I am not being facetious or negative in any way. If you ever decide to give lessons in dispensing wit and drollery, let me know. You have a conspicuous and frankly admirable talent in that regard, IMHO.
edit on 21/2/17 by JustMike because: it's "lessons in", not "lessons on". Yet another mistake by my computer's keyboard.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75
As it looks like I have the Shed to myself, I'll reply.

People who say that nothing can move faster than the speed of light have never seen me in the vicinity of a cup of coffee first thing in the morning.

"Coffee" should be included in the Periodic Table of Elements. It's that's fundamental.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gordi The Drummer
What's Cricket? (I'm Scottish...)
Is that like rounders only back & forward?

G

No. It's a cute little buggy kind of thing that either makes your night more peaceful or drives you nuts...

I like to have it on in the background when I'm apparently the only one around.

If someone doesn't come in soon and say something I am going to take control of the Shed and seize ALL the DONUTS, the COFFEEEEEEEEE and (cough) even the booze.

The coffee and donuts (Brits call them "doughnuts") matter the most... But just saying. (Don't you just hate that phrase? So do I. I enjoy hating it.)

ETA: because it looks moronic to keep posting when no-one is replying, I'll stop.But it's 4:30 pm US Eastern time.Where IS everyone?????

edit on 21/2/17 by JustMike because: I spotted a typo. It's my OCD. Deal with it.

edit on 23/2/17 by JustMike because: WIS helped me notice another one.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hi Mike - I'm lurking while I try to sort out a gnarly code merge mess.

I agree - "Just sayin'" - it's a verbal hiccup like "I know, right?" or "ya know" or "like" or "dude" or "lame" or any of a hundred other ridiculous non-specific phrases and words modern society has come up with to avoid the work of finding the words to convey what we truly mean.

Of course, it's also possible the motivation is that we don't actually know what we truly mean, and thus finding the correct words is next to impossible...

OK, I'm pontificating. Shepherd might need food soon...

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

There is so much music out there. I hope I live long enough to hear all the ones I haven't heard yet. The ones you posted are on my IPOD, considered classics.

Why is there pixie dust thrown all over this room?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustMike
You're super-glued in that little basket, Mason.

I wish I could tell you that is the worst thing that has ever happened to me.

Today.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd
Pontification has its place. I suppose those lame phrases do as well. Though I loathe them, I have to hold my hand up and say "guilty" at times.

You know, I just hope some readers notice the lack of the apostrophe in the "its" above. It bugs the heck out of me that some people don't seem to know the difference between "it's" and its".

Does it matter? I think it does. I call it "preserving knowledge" and frankly it's fundamental.

edit on 21/2/17 by JustMike because: Not "people", but "some people".

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's a fair response by your standards.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.
Pixie dust is useful. It's anti-bacterial.

Let it sit a while.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure there is a British society dedicated to the preservation of the proper use of the apostrophe.
That's not a joke.

I always remember it the way my wife - an English major in college - taught me.
It's = "it is"

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
BTW, I don't even know what a "code merge" means.

Am I blessed in my ignorance, perhaps?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yes, there is is indeed such a society. I also own the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, by Lynn Truss, which has a whole chapter dedicated to apostrophes. Heck of a good read.

I have shared excerpts from it with my students on occasion. But as they are Czech, they tend to be better at punctuating English than most native speakers. (To be fair, the same would apply for eg Americans learning a foreign language. Just the nature of the beast.)
edit on 21/2/17 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Sorry - I routinely forget that most people don't speak Nerd. I'm a computer programmer.
Think of a library where people can check out documents and change them. If two change the same doc, you have to merge the changes together so that neither person's changes are overwritten. When performed on computer program code files we call it a "code merge."

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

We have that book in my house. Mrs. Shepherd teaches the munchkins language arts from it at times.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thank you for the clarification. I can actually follow what you mean.

Being able to speak Nerd is one of your talents; we need folks like you.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
It's great for that. Ms Truss is very knowledgeable and entertaining.

I actually find apostrophe use (or the ignorance of it) very useful in figuring what part of the world people grew up in. It seems to me that younger Brits are the worst. They are generally clueless (and blameless) as it apparently was never taught to them, so they either take a guess or throw an apostrophe into any plural because they have no idea what it's for.

It's a shame, because a reasonably intelligent adult could learn the basic rules in about ten minutes. But when I see people write (eg), "I was talking to my cousin's the other day" and I think, "Your cousin's what?", I can only assume that they either don't want to know how to write it correctly, or they just don't care. Being blameless does not mean ignorance should become the standard.

In either case, it's a shame.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I'm with you JustMike! I drives me buggy to see homonyms spelled incorrectly. I wish grammar & punctuation were priorities in school. Does anyone know how to use a semicolon correctly now days?

Oh, my old, aching, arthritic joints. How can I continue to type? Woe (not whoa) is me. I'm a horrible, little person!

Peace & Love,
The Old Hag

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustMike

(Ten hours of cricket sounds posted by JM)

I like to have it on in the background where I'm apparently the only one around.

I am not sure I understand the sentence, but thank you so much for the crickets, I usually listen to Goa Trance,(I know weird) but this is fabulous. I will say I am waiting for a heart wrenching scream to shatter my peaceful accent to Nirvana.
Ahhh this is ear candy. Actually I think the majority of the sound is produced by Peepers, Pseudacris crusifer.

......... I am going to take control of the Shed and seize ALL the DONUTS, the COFFEEEEEEEEE and (cough) even the booze.

That is so misusing your authority we would all have terrible withdrawal symptoms. But I see others cam to the rescue, Thank Heavens.

(Don't you just hate that phrase? So do I. I enjoy hating it.)

I know I am late, but what phrase are we hating? I am confused was it coffee and doughnuts.

I'll stop.But it's 4:30 pm US Eastern time.Where IS everyone?????

We are vampires.

edit on 21/2/17 by JustMike because: I spotted a typo. It's my OCD. Deal with it.

I love when people actually compose something in there edit. So, I know it was "when" instead of "where" right?

Ok enough nonsense. How is Dada? How are you guys coping with life.
edit on 21-2-2017 by WalkInSilence because: space

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleBurgh

Forgive me I know you are replying to JM, but I had to chime in.

I received the majority of my formal education in a Germanic tradition. Not German. Delving into the more complex compositions, I must admit I never was able to fully grasp the logic of punctuation. They create amazingly long sentences. A gift we have lost in "instant webification"
It does bother me though when reading today online that the pause in a text, punctuation provides, is barely used.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join