It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Spy Ship Gets Within 17 Miles of US Coast

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Russian Spy Ship Gets Within 17 Miles of US Coast

Spy ship???

Naw, that's just the Russians coming over to say "Hi Friends!" to our new administration. They're just waiting for an invitation to dock at one of our East coast naval bases and then everyone can be pals.

Breathe and repeat after me: Russians are our friends now. This is a welcome committee, not a spy ship.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Um...if they send a spy ship into our territorial waters, that's technically an act of war,

No its not.

An act of war involves actually shooting. Crossing boundaries is unwarranted but happens often enough... See? No war.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
A more accurate headline would read " Russian ship cruises in international waters". Of course we won't get the media to tell the truth on anything anymore. Everything is sensationalism.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

First, it's not. It's called Right of Innocent Passage. Even warships have the right to pass through territorial waters, provided they aren't doing something that directly impacts the security of that nation, like launching an attack.

Second, they didn't enter our territorial waters. They were 17 miles out, the territorial limit is 12.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Second, they didn't enter our territorial waters. They were 17 miles out, the territorial limit is 12.

I know that - I was responding to another post. And I shouldn't have said "technically an act of war" - that was incorrect.

And of course we let Russian warships into our territorial waters all the time and just wave as they go by...

C'mon Zaph, I think you know better.

I know that I do, but whatever. If someone can show me the last time a Russian spy ship was patrolling our coast within 5 miles of our territorial waters at times and for days at a time *and* we left it alone - I'll concede the point that given the facts of this situation, that's SOP.

I'm not concerned in the least that I'll have to do that though.

Why is it different this time?

That's my point.

edit on 2/17/2017 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Except you don't know it's being left alone, as I said earlier. I've watched quite a few P-3s and P-8s flying up in the northeast lately. Some obviously had nothing to do this ship, others weren't so obvious. Hell, for that matter, the first Tritons are flying and the squadron stood up. One of those could stay overhead 24 hours, before being swapped out long enough to get serviced and going back.

The media didn't report we have a presence there, so it didn't happen? They also randomly report when Russia puts ships off our coast, or planes off the ADIZ, and blow it out of proportion when they do. The ship is being monitored at all times. The Navy may not be blatant about it, but it's being watched.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
You best believe there are a few subs within 20 miles of that ship constantly, as well as a few P-8's most likely dropping a few long range patterns and using it as acoustic intelligence training. No need to harass or show off, as the ship knows very well that they are in the gauntlet.
edit on 17-2-2017 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

edit on 17-2-2017 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Its so alarming that right now in international waters there is a boat minding its #ing business.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

No, they are minding our business. This is what they do, and so do we.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I think the term "International waters" is all thats necessary to read.

No laws are being broken, the sovereignty of US soil is not being tainted.

I wonder if the Chinese media run stories like this about all the US ships near their maritime borders?

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
a reply to: Aeshma

No, they are minding our business. This is what they do, and so do we.

Yep.. from the air too. I spent 2 years assigned as an air-based spook for the US Navy. It's amazing what goes on amongst friends and enemies. As someone with a lot of "reality TV" in his blood, President Trump is probably bursting at the seams to share some of it. But he knows that doing so would be his end.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

If its business is minding your business. Its minding its #ing business.

I hope i dont need to reiterate the fact they are in international waters.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Not as funny as the time that chinese sub popped up in the middle of a navy exercise within launch range lol

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

You're right. I remember how IRAN captured one of our small Navy boats that strayed a tad inside Iranian waters. They had U.S. sailors sitting on the floor, and crying. Obama gave Iran a Nuke Deal and a Top Secret DRONE plane, to show that the U.S. held no hard feelings.

Let the Iranians try that crap now!

edit on 2/17/2017 by carewemust because: ats tech glitch

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

You are responsible for your own posts.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

I seem to recall they didn't like our troops even being near surrounding COUNTRIES.

And right there lies the underlying issue, right?? It is all rah rah rah! when we park and blast our toys near their border. It does not seem to feel so great when a foreign military asset is just a stones throw from your border?? Now how would these feelings of anger or caution be amplified if they started doing live fire at stationary targets or just random coordinates nearby, somewhat similar to what several members of NATO are doing now in the Baltic States??

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

Germans are also deployed

Perhaps, just maybe, it is bad manners to fire off weapons on someones border, with the public statement that it is training and preparedness for combating the very neighbor on the other side of the border?? Seems like poor form to me, and if this naval presence has offended anyone, then at least there is some understanding on how the other side is feeling. Some unintended empathy of sorts?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma
a reply to: charlyv

If its business is minding your business. Its minding its #ing business.

I hope i dont need to reiterate the fact they are in international waters.

The entire ASW operations in the cold war were conducted in international waters. Coastal surveillance has been going on since then, and it will probably never end. It was really cat and mouse back then, but now, with the technology as such, it is a much calmer game.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
"Russia Spy Ship Gets Within 17 Miles of US Coast"

I can see it now...

"Iz not Russian spy ship! No no no comrade! Ship you see is CRUISE ship! We merely tourists visiting beautiful American shore! We travel here in ship...to see land which we will own soon, very soon!"

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Trump in yesterdays press conference said, the best he could do would be to just blow it out of the water and that the whole of America would probably cheer for him if he did.

Is there anybody here that really thinks this way ? Just curious

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Remember flying off Nantucket and we found a USSR nuke hiding under a fishing fleet.
They were so noisy, they tried to hide under a bunch of rackety diesels.
We dropped a SUS (small practice depth charge), just to let em know...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join