It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain, a nation of homeless, drunks and dog crap.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I have to admit you and Masonicus have a point but to be totally fair those are not English Dish's they are Cockney Dish's and indeed many cockneys are actually of Italian extraction so go figure.

Jellied Eel's are something many English would simply refuse to even try but I believe it is actually an acquired taste and those whom ate it as children will always have a taste for it.

Now up my neck of the wood's in Liverpool we being a sea port (much like London in this respect) have a dish called Scouse, it is not actually English though as Scouse (Scoose in Scandinavia) originated in Scandinavia and is virtually identical there to what it is here BUT every family would make it slightly differently so there is no defined recipe just a rough guideline, some people use fillet steak, fresh carrot's, King Edward (Variety) Potatoes, Strong Onion's and diced Turnip, some salt, some pepper to taste, first fry your steak until it is perfectly done, sealed in the flavor with the outside seared along with half the onion's also diced, throw the potatoes into the pan along with the carrot's, turnip and the rest of the onion's, add enough water (and stock, beef or chicken but beef is best for this in my opinion) to cover them but not drown the life out of them and bring to the boil, add the steak and onion's once it has boiled for about 20 minute's and then add the fried - seared steak along with it's fried onion and continue to cook for another 40 to 50 minutes on a simmer stirring occasionally to keep it from sticking, serve with a freshly baked crusty cob of best British bread with plenty of strong salted butter (Our bread used to be far nicer and one time there was a bakery on every street corner but today most English bread is not as good as it was due to supermarkets using imported wheat while our farmers no longer grow much of our traditional varietys' of wheat so every older person will tell you the bread used to be delicious and now it taste's of nothing).

Lovely but listen to those guy's crying over the fillet steak.

English Chip's (most chip shop's make awful chip's so you would have to go were the fish is freshly landed to get the best in both Chip's and Fish, fleetwood has a good chippy but the very best is in Devon www.dailymail.co.uk... , Melton Mowbry pork pie, Wensleydale cheese (Stilton but personally I think Stilton smell's like that dog crap and can not stand the stuff), Cheshire, Chedder and many other Cheese some of which put most other european cheese to shame.

Black Pudding and if you bring in the Scot's Haggis - hey don't knock it a good haggis is wonderful, a bad one will put you off for life but a good one is fantastic.

Contrary to TrueBrit's joke about our Sausages "the wife never complained" - "erm no not that sorry, edible sausage's" - "no not japanese one's edible sausages the English kind" Welsh, Cornish, Scotish style there are a great many variety's of them and we do add seasoning with different favours not only by country but by internal region within the UK, during the second world war the great British Banger was invented, so called because you had no idea what was in it due to rationing but in fact even saw dust made it's way into them back then as unscrupulous butchers tried to supplement there meagre supply any way they could and more than a few household pet's ended up being sold as Rabbit when in fact they were a cleverly disguised and skinned mister tiddles the pussy cat, horrid especially being British but it did happen, so these bangers when fried also had an unfortunate habit of exploding hence the name.

Oh there are a great many regional dish' in the UK, you don't know and indeed most Brit's themselves don't until you travel around but with the age of supermarket's and factory tinned crap most of these traditional recipe's have gone out of fashion.

We used to be called Beef eater's because at one time we cooked so many cattle that the french could smell roasting beef accross the channel when the wind favored it during the Elizabethan period and that is how our famous Beef Eater soldiers on the tower of london got there name.

Traditional English Sunday roast, Roast Basted Chicken with golden crispy skin stuffed with an Onion and Sage stuffing to keep the meat moist and also add a little flavor served with best country roast potato's, fluffy inside and crispy outside with a fine home made gravy and seasonal vegetable's (A good free range chicken will always put a turkey to shame).

But it is about taste, what you grow up eating and what choice you prefer, I personally love indian and chinese cuisine, I also like Turk but french some I like some I would not touch with a barge pole such as Escargo or mister ribbety leg's - poor little green man.

German's, fermented cabbage - well to be fair I actually like saur kraut.

Remember this about TrueBrit's point, seasoned meat was traditionally in order to disguise bad meat, we english hate bad meat though and salted meat is long out of fashion here so our meat is often more fresh as that is our national taste and seasoning is only added for flavor in home made dish, quite often delicate taste is superior to strong taste don't you think, especially when you don't want one dish to ruin another but then again English Trifle for example, Strawberry Tarts, Scone's, Hot Cross Bun's, etc, etc so we don't go for delicate flavor in our treat's.

In retrospect every nation has it's delicacy's and it's staple's, at time's our staple has been bloody awful but not anymore.

Sorry another edit but I have to add these for you, the truth is that like any other modern country our taste today is very international and we simply add our own spin on it with many of these recipe's, but many other's are long time traditional British favorite's.
www.bbcgoodfood.com...
www.jamieoliver.com...
allrecipes.com...
www.jamieoliver.com...
www.bbc.co.uk...
www.greatbritishchicken.co.uk...

edit on 17-2-2017 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Nicely put.

Now I'm hungry.
edit on 17-2-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
crap fed my reply stupid mobile
edit on 17-2-2017 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Revolution9

What about your awesome weather and cuisine?

Both are gross misconceptions based on wives-tales. Tales spread and received by those who clearly have no personal knowledge to draw upon in making such a statement.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK
Both are gross misconceptions based on wives-tales. Tales spread and received by those who clearly have no personal knowledge to draw upon in making such a statement.

It appears to be a scientifically proven fact:

10 Reasons Why Living In The UK Sucks (and why I can’t wait to leave)

#3 was 'the weather'.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Anyone who complains about the weather is a simpleton. Either move and shutup or just get over it. Fact is, we have zero control over the weather. Every time I've been in England, I find it to be about a 50/50 mix of beautiful and "bad" weather.

Let me guess, all brits have bad teeth, too?

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
I have to admit you and Masonicus have a point but to be totally fair those are not English Dish's they are Cockney Dish's and indeed many cockneys are actually of Italian extraction so go figure.

We're being jackasses Lab, I've been there and there's a few things I actually like.

Jellied eel is not one of them however.

edit on 17-2-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK
Fact is, we have zero control over the weather.

Yes you do! The bad weather is God punishing you for the whole jellied eel situation.

Let me guess, all brits have bad teeth, too?

Wait. You guys have teeth?

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Come to Stoke in the UK, bacon, sausage, cheese,mushroom, onion and an egg all wrapped in a couple of oatcakes with the drip poured over them and while it probably will reduce your life but you'll have a better life.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join