It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Fictional Languages to decipher Ancient unreadable Languages?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
So I do know that there are programs that can help you determine if something is French, German, Mandarin,Arabic, etc., or the closest matching language based on hits but what if these programs used Fictional Languages as well from Sci-Fi? How many Fictional Languages are there out there like the "Ancient Language" from the Eragon series.... I feel like when these Cryptographers use these computer programs they should include ALL LANGUAGE even ones we haven't deciphered yet that way the Computer can crack what it means more efficiently.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Stevemagegod

Great idea. Do it.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: gription

Great idea. Do it.

just as soon as you teach me how

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Maybe an entire unknown alien language, could be figured out? not sure where one would find such an unknown language, a Channeler, maybe...or speaking in tounges that no can comprehend, not even a minister?
Interesting OP!

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

You have an idea and blame me for the fallout?
Thank you, learn data entry and practice until you are dead...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

When I was a burn-out-nerd-combo in high school I had a Klingon-English dictionary. There were kinda/sorta "rules" to the language.

Jump on it before someone else patents it.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat

Maybe an entire unknown alien language, could be figured out? not sure where one would find such an unknown language, a Channeler, maybe...or speaking in tounges that no can comprehend, not even a minister?
Interesting OP!

From Wikipedia

Undeciphered scripts
Rongorongo
Indus script
Cretan hieroglyphs
Linear A
Byblos syllabary
Linear Elamite
Cypro-Minoan syllabary
Espanca

Just include all of these languages in one massive program. And we might actually get decent hits.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

You have an idea and blame me for the fallout?
Thank you, learn data entry and practice until you are dead...

it was just a thought experiment. no need to be a dick about it. I have programming experience but something like this would require a paid team of engineers and experts.
edit on 16-2-2017 by Stevemagegod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

If I was not a "dick about it". Would you have responded?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Woah, never heard of any of those! There has got to be a team that would be interested in your Idea, but the made up languages...like Klingon...they are made from other real languages(i am guessing) so then is that would help the process of translating the not yet translated...if i am thinking correct on this?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

If I was not a "dick about it". Would you have responded?

I respond to everyone.

edit on 16-2-2017 by Stevemagegod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat

Woah, never heard of any of those! There has got to be a team that would be interested in your Idea, but the made up languages...like Klingon...they are made from other real languages(i am guessing) so then is that would help the process of translating the not yet translated...if i am thinking correct on this?

Yup thats the basic idea.

inheritance.wikia.com...

"When I was writing the first draft for Eragon, I needed to invent a word that meant fire; it was supposed to come from an “ancient language” that is almost always used with magic." (Some very skilled masters of magic can use it without using the language, although risking a stray thought or feeling distorts the results of the spell, which could be deadly.) "Since my parents owned a dictionary of word origins, I pulled it off the shelf and flipped through it. Eventually I found an obscure Old Norse word, brisingr, that meant fire, and because I loved it so much, I decided to base the rest of my language on Old Norse. To find more words, I went online and dug up various Old Norse dictionaries, although I have been known to invent a word now and then when the story requires it! As far as the grammar and pronunciation of my “ancient language” go, they bear absolutely no resemblance to Old Norse as I wanted to give it my own twist."

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

I have neither the time nor the ego to screen your past activities. Watching you is very entertaining.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

i like to think that their are some real life, Big Bang Theory, from TV... types out there and like other member posted, you should patent this Idea!

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Did you ever catch this thread?

The Language of Vampyr

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
So you want to learn fake languages.... start with the Doctors very well detailed language. it is quite complex. Gallifreyan.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I think you're absolutely right.
I would approach it by making my own language, then applying it to try and crack the code.
A'la The Magicians by Lev Grossman lol

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
I would approach it by making my own language, then applying it to try and crack the code.

if you think in english and try to translate to spanish you miss all the spanish concepts, which are not the same, so you can't translate directly.

So instead you have to change your language.

So trying other languages to get at unknown languages is a great idea.. You might find one that matches up better to the unknown.

But you have to THINK different to SEE another language.. It's not a matter of aligning the two.. It's that languages are conglomerations of concept maps of a society. So we are removed from that "other" society.

That's the trouble even though languages all have a pattern of some sort or another. But it might be base 2 and not base 10.. It's not an easy task..

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

You misunderstood. I dont want to make up Language i want to use existing Fictional Languages that has a well established Following. Like the Doctor's, Ancient Language, Star Wars, Namekian, Star Trek alien languages etc.,

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
help with it...

sos
edit on 17-2-2017 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join