It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "new" Foods...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
In our generation (generally speaking), there has been a boom in instant foods, fast food, chemical ridden food, genetically altered food.

Do "they" honestly know what effect this food will have on us? I mean they know what the effect would be over maybe a period of 10 years. But will these new foods have a hidden side effect that will not be prominent until we reach the later years of our lives?

I think I am going to stick with my mad cow infested beef.

Haha, I got hungry and didnt even realize I was picking up a box of Kraft Dinner to make.

[edit on 31-1-2005 by _BLiND_]

Urn

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
heck i'm even worried about some of the HEALTH food comming out.....you ever read how bad soy is?....check out this thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and they're stickin it in everything nowdays...

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Of course they know! They're scientists. They've tested, evaluated, researched, and confirmed that GM foods pose no potential negative consequences to the environment or health.

I hope you could detect the sarcasm in that.

IMO, the problems could range from none to creation of HYPERallergenic foods, to the creation of dangerous fusion proteins that have negative consequences like stimulation of cancer or other disease, to massive loss of genetic diversity due to competition by more 'fit' laboratory strains.

Now in general laboratory strains are LESS fit, but you never know.

The truth is, we don't know. Many scientist will tell you that we do though. For extremely contrasting opinions about this topic read "Bioevolution," by Fumento, and "The Biotech Century," by Rifkin.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I was at my friend's house yesterday...hanging out...just chilling...and he asks me if I know what a Grapple is? Would I like to try one?

I'm like - Yeah man...It's one of those things that you can throw up to places and climb with...Why do I need to try a grapple out ya friggin idiot?

Well - Wrong!!

This is a "Grapple"

An apple, genetically altered to taste like grapes....and lemme tell ya - It's trippy...the damn apple tastes like grapes....And it's like the perfect apple - the texture is crisp, the skin is thin but firm, it has a pungent fragrance, etc...

All I could do was look at the damn thing and laugh...and then I began to wonder "Why?"....
...Cuz schmucks will buy them - lol

They're going to be making different flavored apples now - I'm sure if you don't have them in your produce stores yet, they'll be there soon...

I don't see the harm (yet) in altering corn, bananas, and other fruits and vegetables to yield a larger fruit/serving size....BUT...When you start to make corn taste like chicken and oranges like plums....well....something's just terribly wrong with that picture....

Let's not confuse kids anymore than we have to....I don't want my kid to learn that "G" stands for "Grapple" when he/she's learning the alphabet.....

[edit on 1/31/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
...and then I began to wonder "Why?"....
...Cuz schmucks will buy them - lol

Dude, I want to try one!

Wait...are you making fun of me?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Forget the juicy texture and unique charred flesh tastte of yoiur favorite 20-oz steak. It's far too inefficient for the world of the future.

Get ready soon for your plankton diet. Plankton will come in many different flavors and colors. It doesn't all have to look like Spirulina.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Get ready soon for your plankton diet. Plankton will come in many different flavors and colors. It doesn't all have to look like Spirulina.

Well, if BSE becomes epidemic, is GM planton a bad thing? Aactually, algae would probably be an improvement over what's in most cans and boxes in "groceries".
Maybe it could help to wipe out hunger in the world.

I do love my beef though. So, if it happens, I hope it's when I'm in another incartation.

I also think it is good to avoid as many "foods" as you can with ingredients you can neither spell nor pronounce. Put that Kraft Dinner down, _BLiND_, now, before it's too late.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
What could possibly be a side effect of putting a gene from a cold water fishinto oranges so there are more oranges available

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Well, you have depleted soil, you force let's say an apple tree to produce more in this depleted soil and you get nasty, tastless, nutrition depleted apples. Have you eaten a bag of apples in your local grocery store? Some of them are just not good. They look like apples, they are moist like apples, but they are lacking things that a wholesome organic apple would have.

I am suprised at the name brand companies, for example, that use the flavor enhancer MSG in their products. Big name companies! I guess some of it is about profit. Put a less than great product out there, enhance it with MSG, I guess it costs less and you don't have to use the best ingredients?

We have strayed so far from real food. Diet foods, flavored with Nutra Sweet, Aspartame, and other such stuff. Do you know how few brands of ice cream are all natural? I'm not so sure things like fat in our diet is really the big issue. I think the additives, and all this stuff added to foods is part of our problem with disease and illness.

My mom drinks diet soda like water, and has headaches, stomach cramps. But she won't quit drinking it long enough to see if she will get some relief.

I mean people get sued for less crimes than the ill effects possibly caused by food preservatives and additives. And it's all legal and ok with the FDA. Nuts!

Troy

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
All of these food addictives and modified food can be scary. For example I kept getting stomach aches and didn't even realize it was something added to the food "MSG" that was the source of the problem. That is until I got so deathly sick from eating it at a restaurant that it made me think that it might be a problem for me.

I basically eliminated foods that contain MSG from my diet and I rarely have a stomach ache anymore. I'm afraid the big companies that make so much money on MSG or other modified products are going gang busters without any concern about allergic or adverse reactions that many people are experiencing.

I believe the big food companies even got a law passed in the US so that no one could sue the companies if they find out they have suffered due to harmful additives. This sounds almost as bad as big tobacco saying nothing harmful is in their product. Imagine if the tobacco companies had gotten a law passed stating that they could not be sued for using any of their product before the public found out it was harmful.

If you keep getting headaches, stomach aches, or other problems after eating food, one possibility is the additive MSG. MSG can take up to 48 hours to have its headache or stomach ache effect I believe. more info in this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I believe the harmful effects of MSG occur even faster if you combine foods containing MSG. The higher the dosage of this drug like substance, the faster you can experience problems.

The thought that someone may modify food without labeling it and having it contain an allergic substance is scary or possibly even life threatening.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I've been thinking about those foods with MSG. Seems like when I eat these foods with MSG, it's just not right. It doesn't give me a good feeling. Why is the FDA allow us to consume these products. Aren't they supposed to protect us?

Troy

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BLiND_
Do "they" honestly know what effect this food will have on us? I mean they know what the effect would be over maybe a period of 10 years. But will these new foods have a hidden side effect that will not be prominent until we reach the later years of our lives?

Well I doubt the regulations for fast food was that tight back in the day when they were introduced.

I am pretty sure our food standards have improved a lot since the publication of the "Jungle."

Surf

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I have heard those Grapples leave a terrible aftertaste. I also heard that the grape flavor is actually added to a normal apple and that it is not a genetically altered fruit. Not even real concord grape, but additive that tastes like real concord grapes. Would like to try a real apple genetically altered to taste like a grape though.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
There is one GM food product I would not use (and find out where it is added and used.)is Bovine induced milk. Bovine is just one of those "non-natural" items I like to leave off my list.

The key factor in using Bovine, has nothing to do with vitamins and or its benefit to humans, but only to the cow. The only positive benefit is to the farmer really...producing more milk. However, it can cause detatched utters, cancerous tumors in cows, and in the long run and early death. Sad really...

Now I am really not the type to save a cow and eat a carrot, but I do feel bad for them in the aspect of being used and damaged and causing them an almost painful death...they are dairy cows, not beef cattles.

I just dont trust a chemical that is in a cow that makes their "teets" get that big...what if, and I have no clue if it can happen, but what if that chemical gets from the cow, to the milk to us? I like milk, but I dont want to Moo from drinking it that is for sure...what affect could those chemicals have on us 20 years down the line???

Ahhhhhh If I start growing spots I am gonna be upset.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
I also heard that the grape flavor is actually added to a normal apple and that it is not a genetically altered fruit.

I just found this out today....you're right...I was somewhat relieved to hear this news...

But still.....lol - And it has to be a fake flavoring, as you mentioned, b/c it comes off more as a fake grape flavor - kinda like one of those grape popsicles.....

Regardless, It still makes little sense to me to inject one fruit with another fruit flavoring....and I'm sure it actually won't be long until they replace that process with some form of genetic manipulation...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
They're going to be making different flavored apples now - I'm sure if you don't have them in your produce stores yet, they'll be there soon...

I'm going to wait for chocolate flavour

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I suspect that food additives, especially the non-natural preservatives, coloring and flavor are behind many of the health problems we hear more and more about every day.

My grand parents ate real eggs-lots of them...from chickens that caught the bugs while ranging free- so they needed no pesticides. They drank whole milk, and ate real butter from their own cows that grazed on unfertilized grass and pesticide free corn....no growth additives, no artificial colors or flavorings or preservatives in home grown, home made jelly, etc.
Their cholesterol and calorie intake must have been thru the roof, but they lived into their late 80's and 90's, with almost no health problems.

Many of us who grew up in the 50's were subjected to additives that have been proved to be cancer causing.....those have been replaced with supposedly 'safer' additives....but one still hears how something that was ok 10 years ago is now found to be a danger. Fewer and fewer of us will see our 80's and 90's ....especiall not in good health! ( Check the obituary page in your news paper....more and more people in their 50's and 60's)

I have even heard that additives are added to make people hungrier, causing us to want to consume (buy ) even more and more unneccessary food.....if this is true, the food industry is sacrificing our health for their pocket books, even to a greater degree!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Diet foods, flavored with Nutra Sweet, Aspartame, ,,,,

y mom drinks diet soda like water, and has headaches, stomach cramps. But she won't quit drinking it long enough to see if she will get some relief.

NutraSweet and asparatame are the same chemical. They can cause all kinds of health issues. They can stall weight loss. They can cause migraines. I mention these two because I have personal knowledge of these side effects.
Here's more info on this sweetener:
www.holisticmed.com...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No grapple for me. The kiss of death for any food for me is artifical flavorings. I don't know how anyone can think that artifical vanilla or anything is gonna taste like the real thing.
I'm sitting here imagining and apple that tastes like grape pop, or grape gum

You can still get good, flavorful apples. YOu may have to go to a fruit market. And, probably those plastic bags of apples won't be the best. There are some newly marketed varieties worth trying. Be adventuresome abd try something other that the red delicious you've been eating for years.

OOOPS, I'm leaving this here, but I think this part belongs in another thred, my bad

[edit on 2-2-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
They can stall weight loss.

DontTreadOnMe... Long time no see.... I also have personal experience with this. I was exercising very hard, and consuming large amounts of diet Pepsi. I couldn't lose a pound.... not until I stopped consuming all that aspartame. Now I don't consume aspartame at all.

Do you know it's really hard to find mainstream gum w/o aspartame. Even the gums with sugar still have it. The only one I've found that doesn't have it is Big Red. If anyone knows of another, let me know.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
*waves at Matt* good to see you

No, and here I sit chewing yet another stick of EXTRA wildberry frost. I am truly addicted to this stuff. Bad news. My weight was pretty much at a good point, considering I'm not exercising.
I swear, not only is it addictive, it also is retaining water for me--my rins is tighter.

I'll see what I can find.
TRIDENT Cinnamon flavor has no aspartame:
www.gum-mints.com...
Perhaps, gum with xylitol
How about Peelu gum??
Maybe this is what I need to get off the EXTRA gum habit

[edit on 2-2-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join