It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump signs House Joint Resolution 38 Say goodbye to protection for streams near coal mines

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I don't comprehend how anyone with a working brain of any intelligence supports Trump.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I don't comprehend how anyone with a working brain of any intelligence supports Trump.

What do you want?

You do not support your President and you think anybody that does is stupid?

Typical lib response.
Those that don't agree with me are idiots.

Opinions like these got President Trump elected.
People are tired of it.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: peppycat

Most coal is used for power generation. It's used in manufacturing too, as you mentioned it's used in steel. I think it's used in a few more things too, but I couldn't tell you what. The vast majority though is used for electricity.

There is a lot of coal in use in the world right now. The thing is though, if we haven't hit peak coal demand yet, we will in the next couple years. We've definitely hit peak supply on the US side because we've found better power options. Coal is going to continue to be used for electricity in the US for the next 30 years (and probably 100 in the world), but the amount mined is going to keep dropping.

I think a bit more long term than most people do, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but it's how I see things. When I think about policy, I think about the impact it's going to have 50 years from now. I'm all for conserving the environment but I don't think coal regulations are going to have any impact on that in either direction. They're going to have less and less impact by the year. Might as well cash in on coal for one last hurrah while we still can.

It's not part of Trumps plan specifically though, Trump probably doesn't even know what coal is used for. The Republicans have campaigned for years on loosening regulations as part of their plan to get coal miners back to work. It's a pretty big industry in Appalachia such as where I live. It's known as the "War on Coal". To say emotions run hot on the subject would be an understatement... coal mining disappearing has basically resulted in the type of mass poverty you normally only associate with middle of nowhere Louisiana and the people know it. For the last 4 years for example, there have been signs on every road into my county saying in big red letters "You are now entering Obama's No Jobs Zone". It's the Republicans single biggest campaign promise in the region, and it's why Hillary lost all of Appalachia, I don't think she got a single county.

The coal promises run much deeper than one President. Personally, I think they're a bunch of BS because as I said, coal doesn't have a bright future. But to the people who have made careers of coal mining now (and there are a lot of coal mining families) they mean everything.

Ignorant statement is ignorant. When I can get back to a keyboard I'll learn you.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden

What do you want?

You do not support your President and you think anybody that does is stupid?

Typical lib response.
Those that don't agree with me are idiots.

Yes. That is absolutely correct.

So juvenile. So typical. Gotta be "Lib" thinking.

Please explain to me exactly what a Lib is.

I'll let you know if I fit.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Most people living in coal country don't drink their tap water anyway, it's disgusting. Even bathing in it is unpleasant. Bottled water is big, as is mountain runoff. It's a shame, but people living in these areas won't see any difference. It's been bad, and will stay that way.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I don't know exactly what a Lib is but your posts fit the profile.
You can't comprehend how anybody with a working brain of any intelligence can support the President.
You don't support the President, so anyone who does is dumb. stupid etc...

Your intolerance is showing.

edit on 2017-02-16T21:58:04-06:002201716America/Chicago2 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This is but another campaign pledge he is fulfilling. Even though there may be resistance, at the very least he set out to do what he promised to do. Check.
We can also export the coal. You folks act as if ZERO technologies exist that would help curb some of the dangerous emissions by a lot.

Perhaps all of you got it all wrong, maybe, just maybe something gave way and this "transitional era" is a reprive for the little man, who knows. Enjoy it while it last, eh? The point is, imho, this is the start of a new generation and future.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden
a reply to: Annee

I don't know exactly what a Lib is but your posts fit the profile.

My post that Trump is basically nuts, and
I can't understand how anyone with a thinking brain can support him makes me a Liberal.

OK. Got it. That's the best you can do describing a Liberal.

And you've decided I am, from that "logic".

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
This is but another campaign pledge he is fulfilling. Even though there may be resistance, at the very least he set out to do what he promised to do. Check.
We can also export the coal. You folks act as if ZERO technologies exist that would help curb some of the dangerous emissions by a lot.

Perhaps all of you got it all wrong, maybe, just maybe something gave way and this "transitional era" is a reprive for the little man, who knows. Enjoy it while it last, eh? The point is, imho, this is the start of a new generation and future.

Maybe coal exports can work, it suffers the same general problem as using the coal domestically though. The world is shifting away from it as an energy source, and over the next few decades as developing nations become developed nations they're going to undergo the same shift away from coal that we're already undergoing.

Throw in the issue that natural gas is cheap, plentiful, cleaner, and safer. That solar/wind is improving. That geothermal still exists. And that we may very well see fusion within the next decade... and there's just no place left for coal in the coming years.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

If it is such a good guideline then why didnt obama do it earlier in his administration instead of waiting until Dec 2016 to put the rule in place? Sounds to me like its another one of those decisions Obama made to embarrass Trump by forcing him to roll it back.

This joint resolution nullifies the Stream Protection Rule finalized by the Department of the Interior's Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement on December 20, 2016. The rule addresses the impacts of surface coal mining operations on surface water, groundwater, and the productivity of mining operation sites.

The fake outrage is getting old people as is the willful ignorance demonstrated by some by refusing to educate themselves on the topic and instead taking someone elses word for it without doing due diligence to get all the facts.

So it was ok for this rule not to exist during all of Obamas 8 years and yet somehow Trump is the bad guy?

Ironic and sad all at the same time.
edit on 17-2-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

How would this embarrass Trump? That is some twisted logic.
I already addressed why this was possibly done later in his time as president.

To me, willfully ignorant, is making it easier for coal companies to foul the waterways of our nation. Why do heavy metals in our streams seem like a great idea? smh

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Gee what was the reaction in this thread to the news? People attacked him for rolling the regulation back without even bothering to research the facts.

Make sense now?

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
While it is true that there will be more pollution in the rivers, this does not harm in the long term. In the short term, the weak and those that cannot adapt die out. Over time, the strong and adaptable survive. This is what is called natural selection.

Life is everywhere. In the thermal vents on the ocean floor. Hundreds of meters below the surface of the ocean where there is no light. Life always flourishes no matter the environment.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

The problem was the alternative sucked, too.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
People plugging in their hybrid electric cars have no idea 30% of that electricity they are consuming is due to coal!!

edit on 18-2-2017 by Throes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Throes

The problem with battery is it pollutes after it is used up. Dead batteries pollute just as bad as coal, if not worse.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: friendlymonster
a reply to: Throes

The problem with battery is it pollutes after it is used up. Dead batteries pollute just as bad as coal, if not worse.

I know. The irony is amazing!

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Coal is in fact quite modest in terms of pollution. Coal is formed from past life forms. It is organic. There are traces of mercury in it but the concentration is very small. Stuffs used for making solar panels. Now THOSE really cause cancer.

cleantechnica.com...

There is a good Chinese saying. Water too clean, and there cannot be fish. The environment should not be squeeky clean in order for humans to survive. Natural selection weeds out the weak and ensure the strong survive. This is nature's design.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

The Obama Coal regulation is an extension of an original regulation. It will just revert back to the original law prior to the recent Stream Act. LOL Libtards overeating on everything without doing their research. No u can not pollute streams and lakes even without the Obama coal killing regulation. lol

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: friendlymonster
Coal is in fact quite modest in terms of pollution. Coal is formed from past life forms. It is organic. There are traces of mercury in it but the concentration is very small. Stuffs used for making solar panels. Now THOSE really cause cancer.

cleantechnica.com...

There is a good Chinese saying. Water too clean, and there cannot be fish. The environment should not be squeeky clean in order for humans to survive. Natural selection weeds out the weak and ensure the strong survive. This is nature's design.

Oh I know all about coal. I live in an area of abundance of anthracite coal. I also own a coal stove. Keeps the house nice and warm, pollution low, and at a very low cost..

edit on 18-2-2017 by Throes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join