It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woolly mammoth on the verge of resurrection, scientists say-“de-extinction”

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I figured.

But it was a reasonable question, though in considering it...I don't think I could eat elephant, I've seen them in circuses, which I hate by the way, and their intelligence is obvious to anyone caring to look. Not to mention I've seen Dumbo far too often...

When my Dad was in SE Asia back in the day, 1959, he was able to meet some of the folks who raised those elephants. I've got some old, old pictures that my Dad took knockin' around somewhere. I recall some elephants in some of the pictures...

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
a reply to: seasonal

If DNA is programmable, that means it's already a program. I wonder who programed us?

No. Genetic manipulation is quite a bit different than computer programming, but I get it, you guys just HAVE to throw your creationism plug into every topic that is unrelated with some generalizing absurd statement like yours above. DNA contains a code, but it's not a program. How does a comment like this get so many stars???
edit on 2 17 17 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

originally posted by: galaga

If DNA is programmable, that means it's already a program. I wonder who programed us?

No. Genetic manipulation is quite a bit different than computer programming, but I get it, you guys just HAVE to throw your creationism plug into every topic that is unrelated with some generalizing absurd statement like yours above. DNA contains a code, but it's not a program. How does a comment like this get so many stars???

I am not taking any side in that argument, but it is possible that the poster was referring to aliens making the DNA, not necessarily a Christian-type creationist thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Going to be interesting when they start bringing back hominids. for science. Eventually they will make more advanced techniques.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shangralah

I would like to see them do this with a saber tooth Tiger.

Elephants would be harder to poach if they were half Sabretooth tiger!

Oh...oh, you meant... Nevermind.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

considering that a " common " elephant poaching technique is :

shoot AK47s [ full auto ] at it till it stops moving - then being half sabretooth wount help its survival much

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Not really, would it? Don't think sabertooths came equipped with body armour.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Argentbenign

I don't support creating chimeras if that is what you mean.
I consider mixing mammoth and elephant genetics to be
more in line with the reintroduction of the buffalo.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Here's a really good article about the reality of this research.

Now Church is a smart biologist. He knows that neither he nor anybody else is going to make a live woolly mammoth in two years. His interviews with the press, like the one reported by New Scientist, seem to have included lots of caveats admitting that the whole project falls short of “Jurassic World”-level science. Most media outlets ignored those caveats, and ran with clickbait headlines anyway.

Link

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Very weird for a Texan. We typically take a "shoot on site" policy with any big cats or coyotes.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'm continually amazed at how many coyotes there are. Most states have, or had, bounties on them, west of the Mississippi, anyway.

Yet the smart little yobbers are everywhere in the contiguous US, and Alaska, not to mention Canada and Mexico.

Bloody smart survivalists they are.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Yep, it's weird. You never used to see them up north, but now they are all over the place. Pretty sure one of them got my cat a few years back

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
They won't be successful...it's a mammoth task to undertake.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join