It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woolly mammoth on the verge of resurrection, scientists say-“de-extinction”

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
2 Years away is what a team from Harvard is saying about creating a mammoth hybrid with an Asian elephant. So in actuality they would be creating an Asian elephant with mammoth traits. Still really neat.

Speaking ahead of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) annual meeting in Boston this week, the scientist leading the “de-extinction” effort said the Harvard team is just two years away from creating a hybrid embryo, in which mammoth traits would be programmed into an Asian elephant.

“Our aim is to produce a hybrid elephant-mammoth embryo,” said Prof George Church. “Actually, it would be more like an elephant with a number of mammoth traits. We’re not there yet, but it could happen in a couple of years.”
The woolly mammoth vanished from the Earth 4,000 years ago, but now scientists say they are on the brink of resurrecting the ancient beast in a revised form, through an ambitious feat of genetic engineering.
www.theguardian.com...

It is called de-extinction. Prof George Church said the traits of the mammoth would be programmed into the Asian elephant. This is all possible because of revolutionary gene ending techniques. Go science.

Speaking ahead of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) annual meeting in Boston this week, the scientist leading the “de-extinction” effort said the Harvard team is just two years away from creating a hybrid embryo, in which mammoth traits would be programmed into an Asian elephant.
“De-extincting” the mammoth has become a realistic prospect because of revolutionary gene editing techniques that allow the precise selection and insertion of DNA from specimens frozen over millennia in Siberian ice.

Church (a Harvard Professor) helped develop the most widely used technique, known as Crispr/Cas9, that has transformed genetic engineering since it was first demonstrated in 2012.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I would like to see them do this with a saber tooth Tiger.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I'm guessing these guys didn't see Jurassic park, eh?

I'm still excited

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Shangralah

Tasmanian tiger would be neat too.

I wonder if the "new" animals are going to be prone to defects?
edit on 16-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Well i hope they have the sense to keep it somewhere cooler than Africa or Asia...Wouldn't want the poor thing overheating in the summer.

ps, To me it will just be a elephant with a genetic hair transplant anyway.
edit on 16-2-2017 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

If DNA is programmable, that means it's already a program. I wonder who programed us?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Suppose the ethical question rears it's head, if nature deemed these beasts to become extinct, should we really consider resurrecting one or more via cloning techniques?

Personally i say go for it, because we simply don't invent tools that we do not use.

link   

originally posted by: galaga

If DNA is programmable, that means it's already a program. I wonder who programed us?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

link   

How very cool, isn't science wonderful. While we're putting species into the hat to be made de-extinct I nominate the Dodo, I would love to see one of these fellas in real life...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Suppose the ethical question rears it's head, if nature deemed these beasts to become extinct, should we really consider resurrecting one or more via cloning techniques?

Personally i say go for it, because we simply don't invent tools that we do not use.

But didn't nature give us the ability to bring them back? 2 sides to that coin.
edit on 16-2-2017 by Shangralah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Shangralah

There are indeed.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: galaga

There maybe a programmer with a little "p", and the programmer with a capitol "P".
edit on 16-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Don't care about hairy elephants...

Two words:
Sabretooth Tiger

Until they can get those back in the wild I'll go back to bed...

-Chris

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

That is a prehistoric looking bird, I vote for it too.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
my #1 question - do we NEED a mannoth ?

seriously - this is a lot of work at cutting edge genetics - to creat a " mammoth "

i personally would rather see the funds equiment and expertise re-tasked to a food or medical program to either erradicate a genetic desiese or improve a staple crop that will deduce world hunger

mammoths are cool - but do we need them ??

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

They put them in the wild, hunters will put them on their mantle.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Its not so much as, "Do we need a mammoth" but moreso, "why are we doing this?" When ask why we need a mammoth it implies a need for it. The only need here is scientific pursuit. What happens?

By conducting this experiment, we are able to draw upon observation and make anaylsis from the recorded data. This is certainly cutting edge as we will be able to outline an entire process to birthing an extinct animal.

The data yielded would be a genetic treasure trove of information and as fate would have it, human beings are some crazy smart beings that can innovate like crazy, so can you imagine potential future applications?

Remember, the need to satisfy the pursuit of scientific knowledge...to include mad scientist.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I love cats of all kinds...and abhor killing them....

Kinda weird for a Texan but killing big cats for sport is worse than killing dolphins or whales imho...

Then again, I don't kill any lower mammals...also odd for a texan(hyper conservative one to boot)

When I was 8, my uncle took me deer hunting and I shot the only deer of my life...
I locked myself in my room for the month leading up to Christmas...

And still remember my dad berating his brother about taking me hunting while visiting them...explaining my heart was not meant for killing [deer]...they didn't speak for a year or so...

Anyhow, wake me up when they resurrect any of the u smilus lineage..

Edit*** for the record, I don't begrudge or judge hunters or fishers(I can't even bring myself to hook a worm)....but killing lower life forms is not for me...especially mammals...

-Chris
edit on 16-2-2017 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

This is interesting, because it is Russia and China the ones that hold the most complete mammoth DNA mapping of the mammoth right now.

They have the most complete frozen baby mammoth specimen that is available.

Anybody have seen the episode of expedition unknown that feature Josh Gates two part episode on finding the mammoth?

It was incredible, they went beyond areas in Russia that are still uncovering this specimens.

And yes while the DNA is available and almost complete it was clear that is still some problems.

Europe cloning experiments are more advance that here in the US because they are not as restricted.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

That is just amazing!
I have been wondering how that project
has been progressing.
I hope it works out.

S&F

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join