It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A massive lake of molten carbon the size of Mexico is discovered under the US

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Quick math....Yellowstone does 16.45 metric tons of CO2 released by one volcano yearly. It would take 600 Yellowstone volcanoes pumping out CO2 daily to equal the total world CO2 emissions.

But wait, according to recent data,

In 1992, it was thought that volcanic degassing released something like 100 million tons of CO2 each year. Around the turn of the millennium, this figure was getting closer to 200. The most recent estimate, released this February, comes from a team led by Mike Burton, of the Italian National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology – and it’s just shy of 600 million tons. It caps a staggering trend: A six-fold increase in just two decades.

Source

600 million tons has been measured to yearly vent from volcanic activity out of the 10 billion total metric tons. 1/16th of total but our measurements are obviously not accounting for all volcanic material because of the trend showing as we measure more it accounts for more. We would rather spend resources finding stranded polar bears to film than have all volcanic activity covered.

The global warming agenda will soon be put to rest. Just got to add up all the volcanoes, cow farts and other natural sources to get an honest comparison to human emissions.

edit on Sat Feb 18 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: Quote Crash Course

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
So reading this got me thinking about the magnetic shift,

I don't wish to cause thread drift, but reading about this earths core and also the molten carbon just got me thinking,
magnetic shift soon?
Or am I just fear mongering here?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Just multiplying your numbers says that,that is a lot of dead Dino meat right there .
eta ..this thread rang some bells and the flags popped up...ding ding ding ....Peak oil ....Then I remembered this piece and thought could it actually be true

Since about the 1880’s, Western geologists have promoted the unproven idea that oil and gas–hydrocarbons–are scarce on this planet. That idea of scarcity of new finds, combined with the idea of depletion of old fields, appears to make empirical sense amid reports of old oil fields going dry. After all, Western geologists argue, oil is a fossil fuel, derived from organic material–dead dinosaur detritus, tree leaves, algae. And the volume of that biological detritus from some two hundred thirty million years ago is clearly finite. The only problem is that reality has now been proved to be quite the opposite of petroleum scarcity. That’s very good news, or should be, because it means that the cause for more than a century of wars, fight for scarce oil, is unnecessary. journal-neo.org...

edit on 16-2-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Just imagine if we're looking at the origins of the next Deccan Traps style eruption in its formative stages ... Ladies and Gentleman, we can all be very thankful that we will be long gone when that thing gets going.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Nice discovery.

It reinforces my belief in abiotic oil, and explains why we see so much carbon dioxide emissions from volcanoes and find coal so plentiful. Carbon at 10 atm pressure melts at about 3550 C, and under that amount of heat becomes hydrocarbons when it encounters hydrogen, coal if the temperature drops below that melting point, and gaseous carbon (which will quickly convert to carbon dioxide in the presence of oxygen) if the pressure were to be released.

I have never really been comfortable with the idea of oil being dead dinosaur squeezin's, and it's nice to see evidence supporting that.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

The Dailymail article is taking a subject about carbon chemistry and make it much more sensational than it actually is. Earth’s mantle is a complex and heterogeneous mixture. Understanding the chemical composition of the mantle, which comprises over 80% of Earth’s volume, and how its activities influence our atmosphere, are crucial to areas Earth science from seismicity to the effects on climate. The wonderful thing about Dr. Hier-Majumder's team's work is it means we can learn more about the Earth's upper mantle without having to drill. That is the take away. Ignore the doom part.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

abiotic oil
agree ..my post up from yours is exactly on the subject .

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Watch PBS Nova : "Mystery of the Megavolcano" from 2006

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I would love to see what the earths carbon emissions looked like compared to our carbon emissions. Id run through a graph on excel but im already in bed (uk time 1am).

add the new calculation of the earths 100 trillion metric tons to this data

www.statista.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Maybe it is/will be as source of hydrocarbons.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5StarOracle
a reply to: Flavian

Volcano's the most significant player in global warming thats not on the stage...

Shhh... you can't tax nature. Just when it's
our fault because they say so. I'd give you 5Stars
if I could.
If it's bigger than a breadbox, and somebody can convince us
all it's going to wipe us out any second-- I start looking around
on the last three pages of Yahoo! News for what they're trying
to keep our eyes offa. Because I got hit by that 2x4 regularly.
PS half the reason I act like this. I can't remember the other half

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
Nice discovery.

It reinforces my belief in abiotic oil, and explains why we see so much carbon dioxide emissions from volcanoes and find coal so plentiful. Carbon at 10 atm pressure melts at about 3550 C, and under that amount of heat becomes hydrocarbons when it encounters hydrogen, coal if the temperature drops below that melting point, and gaseous carbon (which will quickly convert to carbon dioxide in the presence of oxygen) if the pressure were to be released.

I have never really been comfortable with the idea of oil being dead dinosaur squeezin's, and it's nice to see evidence supporting that.

TheRedneck

A nice theory, except for the fossils found in coal seams.

If you look hard enough, you can see a tree that was in the process of turning to lignite coal (Fig. 4-C) while part of it petrified.
edit on 17Fri, 17 Feb 2017 17:47:04 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago2 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Well you think that Yellowstone is a problem well yes if it let lose it would be a bad day for US and the northern hemisphere, but ther,e is a problem that already has begun,all the evidence is there so the world needs to brace itself, weather events have already begun all over the planet new partials entering earths atmosphere that will have a effect on ice in the Antarctic and Antartica worlds oceans. The problem is that we have no idea what the sun has done in the past we can only guess, the scientist that are currently in the Antartica commencing ice core drilling to find out past climates events , I believe what they find will never be released to the general public because of the information these ice core will reveal go to www.asteroid-shield.org/climateText Red

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This is not a "lake of molten carbon". What has been found is a distribution of liquid rock (magma) which may be high in carbonates. They can't really tell, though, if it is carbonates or hydrates (as has been found previously).

Due to the location of the layer, it would seem that the source of the "volatiles" would be the Farallon plate, dragging stuff under the crust as it dives under North America. So much for an expanding Earth.
perso.ens-lyon.fr...

edit on 2/17/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Corruptedstructure

"amazing" they know this since it is over 200 miles anyone has ever drilled...

Whenever there is an earthquake, the tectonic plates create spherical shock waves that go in all directions (downwards, sideways, upwards). Some get reflected by solid hard rock. Some get absorbed and refracted by softer molten rock. This creates all sorts of echoes, some loud and others muffled.

With all the seismic stations out there, each has a unique recording. Then it is possible to recombine all of these to create a deep map of the interior of the Earth.

www.tacc.utexas.edu...

Mountain ranges are more like 300 mile deep icebergs. Theres more underground than on the surface.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: Flavian

The worst part would be massive worldwide starvation as US agriculture would be wiped out.

Australian wheat production up 300% last year...

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Um, is it solid carbon? liquid? gas ? anyone know? I did read it, but may have missed something, being human an all.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Interesting find.
The Map cuts off on Canadian border and it looks like if it showed that, it's right under me
edit on 23-2-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I think about 8 miles is as deep as anyone has drilled..the heat melts the bits at that point.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join