It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people think the democrats will regain control in the mid terms?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rookseven

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Being of the age I am I can remember when just about everything being said about Trump was being said, in one form or another, about Regan. It is this prior experience that enables me to glibly ignore the straw clutching of a bunch of butt hurt losers.
If you're old enough to remember Reagan, then you're old enough not to use the phrase "butt hurt" like some 12yo virgin on Xbox Live.

The first school election I took part of was between Reagan and Carter and I love the term "Butthurt" and I use it quite often.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: dfnj2015

Once upon a time... each party represented a portion of the populace...

There is a very good reason there are more registered independents, than are in either party on an individual basis.

Something like 26% republican, like 30% democrat and somewhere round 40+% independent, both parties have moved away from their core ideals and the american people are getting tired of the games.

Again, I disagree with the idea of "independent". There is no such thing. People are either for change or for status quo on an issue. Independents are Republicans because they are for preserving the status quo. They are not liberal progressive Democrats who want to use public policies to make things better. You could argue Democrats are more about corruption and boondoggles than making things better which is a valid argument. But you can't say people are independent when the result favors the Republican agenda.

edit on 16-2-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typos

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

They think the democrats will gain control for the same reasons they thought they would win the election. Wishful thinking.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

This was supposed to be their year. Republicans had 20something seats up for grabs in the Senate. Instead we remained control. In 2018, the democrats have 26 up for grabs. They're gonna have to stop pandering to minorities and start appealing to the middle class if they want to win again. Look at Trump, he reached out to rich, poor, middle class, and minorities and he won. Democrats need to learn that treating white people equally doesn't make you a racist.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
the democrats won`t be winning any more seats in 2018 they will lose more seats.

This has nothing to do with trump the democrats have been losing seats in elections for the last 6 years.

stop and think about that for a second, they have been on a 6 year losing streak,they were losing elections since before trump even came into the picture.

They have 2 years to figure out what they have been doing wrong for the last 6 years and fix it or they will lose again in 2018. 2 years isn`t much time considering that they haven`t been able to do it in 6 years.

The democrats platform clearly does not appeal to most americans.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

This was supposed to be their year. Republicans had 20something seats up for grabs in the Senate. Instead we remained control. In 2018, the democrats have 26 up for grabs. They're gonna have to stop pandering to minorities and start appealing to the middle class if they want to win again. Look at Trump, he reached out to rich, poor, middle class, and minorities and he won. Democrats need to learn that treating white people equally doesn't make you a racist.

Republicans are just as bad as Democrats. If you think otherwise you are delusional. The only reason Republicans won is because of gerrymandering the districts after the 2010 census.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Being of the age I am I can remember when just about everything being said about Trump was being said, in one form or another, about Regan. It is this prior experience that enables me to glibly ignore the straw clutching of a bunch of butt hurt losers.

I was 1 when Reagan was elected, but he's my favorite president and I've studied and read a lot about him. Plus if you ever get a chance to watch "The 80's: The Decade That Made Us" you can see (for those who weren't able to experience it) how eerily similar Reagan's run and Trump's run both were. What you just said is exactly how I feel.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Well, if the RINO's don't get off their ass and start doing what their constituents elected them to do, it very well could be days over for them as well. All during Obama's reign all we heard was how they would repeal and replace Obamacare, and now the Trump has given them the green light, they are shaking in their boots to live up to their empty rhetoric!

Let's just hope there is someone other than a Progressive Democrat to run against them.

Yeah right. And represent THEIR party??? Their best shot didn't make it past the first debate because he believes in real equality (wanted to abolish Affirmative Action because it's discriminatory), loves the military, doesn't believe global warming is our biggest threat, and said that all lives mattered when questioned whether black lives matter or all lives matter. His name is Jim Webb and he's finally fed up with what democrats have become. That's one democrat that has this Conservative's support all day long.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

I could have cheerfully voted for Webb...

Heck the veterans party tried to get him to jump ship, but he is unsure of what we actually represent since we are so new... I can understand that.

But yes, they need to move away from the fringe, the republicans did not really move away from the fringe I think as much as the people said tank trump we burn your house down.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Well, if the RINO's don't get off their ass and start doing what their constituents elected them to do, it very well could be days over for them as well. All during Obama's reign all we heard was how they would repeal and replace Obamacare, and now the Trump has given them the green light, they are shaking in their boots to live up to their empty rhetoric!

Let's just hope there is someone other than a Progressive Democrat to run against them.

Yeah right. And represent THEIR party??? Their best shot didn't make it past the first debate because he believes in real equality (wanted to abolish Affirmative Action because it's discriminatory), loves the military, doesn't believe global warming is our biggest threat, and said that all lives mattered when questioned whether black lives matter or all lives matter. His name is Jim Webb and he's finally fed up with what democrats have become. That's one democrat that has this Conservative's support all day long.

The Republican party tried to have Obamacare repealed and replaced 6 times when Obama was President. Why are they waffling now? Think about the dog and pony show they are playing on their voter base! Trump gave them the go ahead and all they are doing is dragging their feet. So in otherwords, they knowingly knew they would never be successful under Obama thus they pretended they were wanting to.

Why are they stalling now?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
The American political equation is dynamic and complex.

However, despite the hype surrounding the Presidential Election, here are some important facts:

Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by an overwhelming majority, the second highest in American history.

Donald Trump won in the Electoral College by a razor-thin margin of actual votes by the American people:

Here is Trump's margin of victory in three closest "swing" states:

MI = 11,612
WI = 27,257
PA = 68,236

Total = 107,105

That's out of 136,628,459 votes cast overall.

It is, at least at the time of this writing, sour grapes to say that Mr. Trump didn't win the Election.

He did ... by a tiny, tiny margin of votes.

Now, this is only one variable in the equation of power in the United States. Both the Legislative and Judicial branches would have to be considered, as well as the makeup of the State legislatures and Governorships ... etc.

... but ...

... the Presidential Election is the only time when the entire nation gets to give an up or down vote to overall political platforms.

And in that contest, the decision was based in 107K votes overall.

Final Presidential Election Results - Politico

Who cares. Those are swing states Trump was supposed to lose. He was also supposed to lose Florida but he had 112,911 more votes there. Trump was supposed to lose Ohio but he had 446,841 more votes there. And he won Iowa by 147,314. But I can see why you didn't want to mention those states.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
We're not yet a month into this administration and they're already mired in scandal. If that keeps up it will be enough to give the Dems control of Congress.

That said, we're looking at a situation very similar to 2008. The Right got their guy in so they're going to be complacent. The Left on the other hand saw their worst nightmare elected. They're going to be galvanised. We're already seeing a grass roots Tea Party-esque movement forming. Not to mention we're seeing record numbers of people on the Left signing up to run for office.

Plus, momentum is on the Left's side. While they didn't retake Congress in the last election they gained ground. At the very least I see them taking the Senate in 2018. I mean they only need to pick up three seats.

Talk about living a pipe dream. The left has been losing momentum since 2010, where have you been? And they have 26 (or 23, can't remember) Senate seats up for grabs in 2018, 10 in states Trump won. The democrats missed their shot in 2016 when the GOP had that many seats up for grabs. The democrats were supposed to win big in the Senate but lost in an unprecedented fashion. If you think they have the momentum then you haven't been paying attention.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Funny, we could go back to 2008 and see all the "Democrats are going to control the government for years" threads.

Then in 2010, "Republicans are going to be in charge forever."

Not to mention, 2014, 1994, etc. etc.

Here's the deal: most Americans, whether they are registered as one or the other or not, are not "R" or "D."

They want safe neighborhoods. They want good schools. They want a decent home and job to care for their families.

They want to be able to practice their faith or to practice no faith at all. They want to be left alone if they aren't hurting anyone.

All of the "REPUBLICAN/DEMOCRAT" propaganda is just that.

Study the normal curve.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Its like the dave chappel skit where he said if he ever became president his vice president would be mexican so if they killed him the boarder would become an open door.

If they impeach trump then pence would be the worse thing for democrats lol. Trump was a dem for years lol! With pence all the social justice warrors who thought trump hated gays are in for a real shock became pence thinks gays should go to a camp to fix them lol. They are better off just shutting up for 4 years and fixing themselves.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You mention the travel band. How is it that you're still completely oblivious to how vetting works? Did you know that it's more than just the FBI asking people if they're terrorists or not? Because that's probably the most common, and dumbest, argument against the ban. Maybe you'd like to go back to the vetting process we had under Obama? I'm sure there are more people in Columbus, OH that wouldn't mind having their faces hacked at with machetes.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
the democrats won`t be winning any more seats in 2018 they will lose more seats.

This has nothing to do with trump the democrats have been losing seats in elections for the last 6 years.

stop and think about that for a second, they have been on a 6 year losing streak,they were losing elections since before trump even came into the picture.

They have 2 years to figure out what they have been doing wrong for the last 6 years and fix it or they will lose again in 2018. 2 years isn`t much time considering that they haven`t been able to do it in 6 years.

The democrats platform clearly does not appeal to most americans.

They'll have to have someone to blame it on, rest assured. Whether it's some guy in another country or Trump himself.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Republicans are just as bad as Democrats. If you think otherwise you are delusional. The only reason Republicans won is because of gerrymandering the districts after the 2010 census.

As a Republican that voted for the first time since 2004, let me assure you that I voted for Trump because of his stance, his strength he displayed towards the political opposition, and because of the promises he wasn't afraid to offer. If you think he won for any reason other than that then you, my friend, are the delusional one.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: LSU0408

I could have cheerfully voted for Webb...

Heck the veterans party tried to get him to jump ship, but he is unsure of what we actually represent since we are so new... I can understand that.

But yes, they need to move away from the fringe, the republicans did not really move away from the fringe I think as much as the people said tank trump we burn your house down.

He should have jumped. I really like the guy.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

The Republican party tried to have Obamacare repealed and replaced 6 times when Obama was President. Why are they waffling now? Think about the dog and pony show they are playing on their voter base! Trump gave them the go ahead and all they are doing is dragging their feet. So in otherwords, they knowingly knew they would never be successful under Obama thus they pretended they were wanting to.

Why are they stalling now?

They better figure something out. I'll criticize in a heartbeat, I won't make excuses. I want it fixed. They better step up their game or their tenure will be short lived.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
We're not yet a month into this administration and they're already mired in scandal. If that keeps up it will be enough to give the Dems control of Congress.

That said, we're looking at a situation very similar to 2008. The Right got their guy in so they're going to be complacent. The Left on the other hand saw their worst nightmare elected. They're going to be galvanised. We're already seeing a grass roots Tea Party-esque movement forming. Not to mention we're seeing record numbers of people on the Left signing up to run for office.

Plus, momentum is on the Left's side. While they didn't retake Congress in the last election they gained ground. At the very least I see them taking the Senate in 2018. I mean they only need to pick up three seats.

Your optimism is admirable, but not rooted in reality. Perhaps you should read this...

The only Republican Senate seat at risk as the cycle begins is in Nevada. GOP freshman Dean Heller was elected in 2012 when he squeezed by Democrat Shelley Berkley in a photo finish, 46 percent to 45 percent. This year, Democrat Hillary Clinton carried Nevada narrowly in the presidential race, so you can bet Democrats will go after Heller with everything they have. A number of Republican senators could find themselves facing primary challenges, including Jeff Flake of Arizona and Ted Cruz of Texas. Utah’s Orrin Hatch may retire. But at this very early point, there is no reason to believe that any GOP-held seat other than Heller’s will be at risk, even if there are Republican retirements or messy primaries. On the other hand, five Democratic senators in the class represent states normally classified as anywhere from leaning Republican to strongly Republican: Indiana, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota and West Virginia. Two other states are pure swing states: Florida and Ohio. And three states often lean Democratic but were carried by Trump last month: Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. (Both Pennsylvania and Wisconsin currently have one Republican senator.)

www.washingtonpost.com...

If somebody gave me $20 to place a bet on whether the Dems regain the senate, or the GOP gets to the magic number of 60, I would bet on the latter. But hey, it's not my money, somebody gave it to me.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join