It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people think the democrats will regain control in the mid terms?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Why the hell would anyone want "either" party to win again?

Kill the beast while it is weakened!

There's never been such an opportunity in decades.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I've asked hardcore politics types that and they say they don't have to change anything. Seriously, that's what they say. They talk about Clinton winning the popular vote as if that matters. They also shockingly seem to think they got more votes in the House than the GOP, even when you show them the data they deny it. With that kind of belief system I don't expect them to do anything other than go further left, almost ensuring a 60 VOTE Senate majority in 2018 for the Republicans. Trump will keep them distracted by being Trump. The GOP really needs to focus like a laser on the 2018 Senate.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
We're not yet a month into this administration and they're already mired in scandal. If that keeps up it will be enough to give the Dems control of Congress.

That said, we're looking at a situation very similar to 2008. The Right got their guy in so they're going to be complacent. The Left on the other hand saw their worst nightmare elected. They're going to be galvanised. We're already seeing a grass roots Tea Party-esque movement forming. Not to mention we're seeing record numbers of people on the Left signing up to run for office.

Plus, momentum is on the Left's side. While they didn't retake Congress in the last election they gained ground. At the very least I see them taking the Senate in 2018. I mean they only need to pick up three seats.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I have to ask again what is being done to convince the voters of traditionally democrat states that went red, that it is in their best interest to vote blue next election?

You have to look at it from the prospective of the people in charge of the Democratic party; it’s safe to assume that much like the political class at large these leaders are only interested in one thing: The preservation of their own positions and power. The ideals they support are a distance second in importance to them over their own self-preservation.

And what is it that presents the most jeopardy to their positions and power? The rise of the conservatives to power? Or an insurgence from the more left wing members of their own party (not unlike the tea-party for the right)?

Thanks to decades of gerrymandering Conservatives in power do not present the biggest threat to Democratic leaders at large. Most of them are sitting comfortably in seats that will always be won by a Democrat. Conservatives in power is a slow moving problem for Democratic leaders, one they can deal with slowly.

In contrast opposition from more left wing members of their own party is an immediate problem that current Democratic leaders need to deal with in their zeal for self-preservation. If they do not toe the ultra-left line; they could easily find themselves in a heated primary for that safe democratic seat.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
As long as Warren is the face of the democrat party, I have no worry that those idiots will ever be in any position to inflict their brand of hatred upon the American people.

edit on 16-2-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

While the popular vote does not determine who is in power in this country, it does give an indication of the zeitgeist.

So far, the Republicans are ruling as extremists, even moreso than the Democrats in 2008 ... and America doesn't care for extremism.

Those identifying Independents are growing and will continue to grow.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

No doubt it was a slim victory, but in all honesty over the last 8 years with the Republicans obstructing everything they could (sometimes because the constituents wanted it) This last election series should have been a slam dunk for the democrats... yet they only made marginal gains in congress and lost to Trump for the big boy seat.

It certainly appears (and yes the next 2 years will be critical, though I have little faith in DNC leadership) that the republicans are much better at delivering a message than the democrats, and the ability to deliver a clear message that reaches the right groups will be needed for the Dems to take at least 1 part of congress.

unfortunately it appears we are living in interesting times... honestly would rather live in some boring times.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Why the hell would anyone want "either" party to win again?

Kill the beast while it is weakened!

There's never been such an opportunity in decades.

Oh how I wish that could be... but folks are easily lead to the you have to vote against that team way of thinking... I hope people wake up and we lift up a third party... I am just not sure... if people wouldnt vote third party after a crook and a narcissist were the main stream candidates, I am not certain what could cause the awakening.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Agreee 99.99%.

Hopefully the people will turn more and more to considering moderates than extremists.

The middle is closer to all of us than either of the two sides.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

The campaign for the anti-Two Party + MSM System began the day after the election.

I know I've been leading the charge.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But when such epic post dont get enough jazz to make the front page for the day, unless that changes I better not see anyone crying about how screwed the third parties always are.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I agree 100%, despite me usually arguing in defense of some conservative views here I consider myself closer to being a blue dog democrat rather than a republican.

I honestly think the vast majority of the country is middle of the road... now we just have to convince them to stop voting in people with extreme positions...

Maybe I should try and stop the sun setting with my bare hands; might have better odds.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
They are brainwashed by the media. That's about it. To the majority of the country Democrats look like small children throwing a temper tantrum because they lost. And the media is just continuing to flush their credibility down the proverbial toilet.

You will never see the news media outlets ever run a story criticizing their advertisers.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

When conservatism means limiting the power of any government to f with me on a daily basis ... I'm a conservative as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Like I said the Left are galvanised. The Right are complacent. I'm already seeing people on the Left posting when the midterms are going to take place and who's up for reelection.

Let's be fair, the majority of Americans could care less about midterm elections. So if the Left can spend the next ~2 years driving the narrative that this is when you need to vote to stick it to Trump that alone will give them a huge advantage going in.

Not to mention that there going to have a . start on the Right. Ever since at east the inauguration the Left has been looking towards the midterms. It's going to be another few months of not almost a year before the Right turns their focus on that direction.

At this point I say it's the Dems game to lose. They have a lot of early advantages. If Trump's administration continues on the same path it's been going that will just addmore support to the Left.

Of course this is the DNC we're talking about. So they'll probably marginalize all the Bernie supporters again.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I agree 100%, despite me usually arguing in defense of some conservative views here I consider myself closer to being a blue dog democrat rather than a republican.

I honestly think the vast majority of the country is middle of the road... now we just have to convince them to stop voting in people with extreme positions...
Maybe I should try and stop the sun setting with my bare hands; might have better odds.

I don't understand your statement "vast majority of the country is middle of the road" comment. There is no such thing as "middle". Either you are for the status quo or you are for changing public policy. Either you want to see minimum wage increase or you do not. Either you are for a single payer healthcare system or you are for preserving the status quo.

I think you are a status quo Republican. You are not for massive public policy changes favoring labor that Bernie Sanders was advocating. Trump won the election so the status quo will remain the same. If Hillary won, I would say the exact same thing. The status quo will remain the same. For this election, it did not matter who won.

Same thing going for forward. Democrats from red states are Nixon Republicans. Nothing will change. The status quo is will be preserved.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

By middle of the road, I believe most people have some things they tilt left on... and other things they tilt right on.

It is why for many years a centrist candidate was considered a must to actually get the votes... instead we have drifted to right or left wing as the only candidates.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Honestly I felt the last election was theirs to lose as well, and yea if Trump does not reign in the chaos to some degree, it will be theirs to lose yet again.

But personally I think the DNC will screw the pooch again, unless we see palpable change in the leadership portion of the dems.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

By middle of the road, I believe most people have some things they tilt left on... and other things they tilt right on.

It is why for many years a centrist candidate was considered a must to actually get the votes... instead we have drifted to right or left wing as the only candidates.

I totally disagree with this view. Most Republicans are my way or the highway. Compromise = Democrat.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Once upon a time... each party represented a portion of the populace...

There is a very good reason there are more registered independents, than are in either party on an individual basis.

Something like 26% republican, like 30% democrat and somewhere round 40+% independent, both parties have moved away from their core ideals and the american people are getting tired of the games.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join