It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people think the democrats will regain control in the mid terms?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I have seen it here and on other web pages, and in talks with folks in person..

Dont worry about pence (assuming a trump impeachment) Democrats will have control and all his fundie stuff will be blocked...

Why?

What have the democrats done differently to convince independents they should be in charge?

Leadership... its the same people in charge now that over saw the democrats losing over 1000 seats over the last 8 years...

What should have been a stunning indictment of identity politics, (the election of a reality tv star) and caused the democrats to pause and rethink things has instead lead them to double down on this way of thinking. The rhetoric has appears to have gotten worse , I didnt think that was possible..

All folks had to do was wait, and trump probably would have handed them everything they wanted on a silver platter, instead we have seen the democrats attack anything and everything related to the guy, throwing out words like treason, and filing articles of impeachment before he had even completed a month in office.

I have to ask again what is being done to convince the voters of traditionally democrat states that went red, that it is in their best interest to vote blue next election?

I am trying to understand how all of this benefits the democrats, give him enough rope to hang himself... sure makes sense then a narrative can be written that paints the republicans in the worst light possible.

That is not what has happened, its been non-stop attacks before he even was sworn in... So help me understand how they regain control...I am genuinely curious. ( I really do not want President Pence)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The 2010 census and gerrymandering guarantees Republican majorities in the House until at least the next census. And even in 2020 when the census is done, it's most likely the gerrymandering will get worse not better.

Republicans are just as bad as Democrats. If you think otherwise you are delusional.

Here's my prediction for the next 20 years. NOTHING will change. The rich will get richer. And the middle class wages will continue to be driven deeper and deeper into poverty wages.

It doesn't matter what you pay in taxes. What does matter is the purchasing power of your take home pay. And I got news for you. Your purchasing power is not going to go up anytime soon.

"Give me control of a nations money supply, and I care not who makes it’s laws". Mater Amschel Rothschild

edit on 16-2-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I am registered Veterans Party member... I think both parties are useless with no interest in anything other than lining their pockets and increasing the parties power.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Being of the age I am I can remember when just about everything being said about Trump was being said, in one form or another, about Regan. It is this prior experience that enables me to glibly ignore the straw clutching of a bunch of butt hurt losers.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Just like when they thought Hillary was going to win, the Democrats have lied to themselves so much they believe their own BS.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Well, if the RINO's don't get off their ass and start doing what their constituents elected them to do, it very well could be days over for them as well. All during Obama's reign all we heard was how they would repeal and replace Obamacare, and now the Trump has given them the green light, they are shaking in their boots to live up to their empty rhetoric!

Let's just hope there is someone other than a Progressive Democrat to run against them.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If independents think the economy is getting better, they won't vote for Democrats.

If independents think the economy is getting worse, and/or the Democrats manage to gin up enough psuedo-scandals, they won't vote for Republicans.

Beyond that, I have no prediction for 2018.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

To be honest, because there is an awful lot of wishful thinking going on.

First of all, the Democrats will not be getting control of the White House, until or unless a full on election is held again, if at all, and even then there are no certainties, because everything, and I mean every little thing, depends on the Democrats actually putting forward a candidate who is not marked by the seemingly unending waves of corruption, cronyism, and deceit that permeate both the right and the left at the governmental level.

They singularly failed last time, to achieve anything of the sort, and scuppered the only individual in their party with the slightest bit of actual credibility, in favour of the person with the least of it. Think of it, a party ostensibly of the left, which chose a right wing candidate who loves war, over a man whose voting record reflects not only the beliefs he claims to hold over a period spanning decades, but also a man whose voting record reflects the beliefs of the majority of potential Democrat voters. It is wishful thinking that suggests a party of that sort, is going to somehow wrest control of the entire government from the hands of Trump and his disgusting menagerie of fundamentalist goons.

Furthermore, in the Trump supporter camp, the wishful thinking is also running rife. There are people who still believe in Trump, in his cabinet picks, that history will remember him, and indeed those who voted for him, as anything other than the most amoral, ethically decrepit examples of American style runaway capitalism, fundamentalism and phobia appeasing, that have "graced" the political stage since the pre-civil rights era. There are people who support the banning of travel from certain majority Muslim countries, despite the fact that the biggest exporters of terrorism on a national level are not on the list, there are people who support removing certain rights from transgendered persons, despite the fact that it is unethical, immoral and inhumane to do so. These people are wishful thinking, because they believe they are saving their nation, rather than dooming it to regress by sixty years in all the worst ways, without actually getting any potential benefits out of it. They are wishful thinking, because they elected a businessman on his merits as such, despite the fact that he has lost nearly as much money as he has gained, despite the fact that the only thing he ever learned to do well is market his name, despite the fact that his record is actually one of failure more than success.

Everyone is doing it, so it would seem. Perhaps the biggest bit of wishful thinking, is that this situation can be resolved without a reset, probably a very hard, nasty, horrible reset as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Democrats seem to think they need to beat up more people to get power back.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
here's what i betcha, in the midterms expect people that have never ran for office before come out and use the same strategy that trump did. talk about things people are pissed off about and make promises to change them.

they maybe independents running as republicans, or democrats in disguise. but they saw it work for trump.
will it change things, well if trump is a example, just maybe. he sure seems to be trying to do the things he said, some he may have had to back off of because of the resistance he is facing. i wouldn't be surprised if he if he let's that die down and brings it back in.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

You cannot explain things properly to the willfully ignorant, and that goes for the fanatics on both/all sides of the political spectrum.

But anything is possible--like you noted, we have Donald Trump as a president, so I could say more unexpected things than the Dems regaining control over a house of Congress have already happened.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people, who have devolved into a society that expects immediate results or they move on to something else.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: dfnj2015

I am registered Veterans Party member... I think both parties are useless with no interest in anything other than lining their pockets and increasing the parties power.

I think I was agreeing with what you just said. Democrats are just as bad as Republicans and vise versa. The OP's original question was why do people think Democrats will gain back control. My comment was that I think it is impossible because of gerrymandering.

With the gerrymandering, the system is rigged. Just look at the vote counts:

Trump: 62,979,879

Clinton: 65,844,954

But again, what difference does it make. Nothing is going to change. The rich will continue to get richer. And the middle class wage will continue to be driven deeper and deeper into poverty wages.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
They are brainwashed by the media. That's about it. To the majority of the country Democrats look like small children throwing a temper tantrum because they lost. And the media is just continuing to flush their credibility down the proverbial toilet.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
These reasons..

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
That's usually what happens. The opposite party from the President gets elected on the midterms

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It could be done but it's a very very slim chance.

Here: 538 Nick Silver, the battle for the house in 2018

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
dp sorry

edit on 16-2-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Being of the age I am I can remember when just about everything being said about Trump was being said, in one form or another, about Regan. It is this prior experience that enables me to glibly ignore the straw clutching of a bunch of butt hurt losers.
If you're old enough to remember Reagan, then you're old enough not to use the phrase "butt hurt" like some 12yo virgin on Xbox Live.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
The American political equation is dynamic and complex.

However, despite the hype surrounding the Presidential Election, here are some important facts:

Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by an overwhelming majority, the second highest in American history.

Donald Trump won in the Electoral College by a razor-thin margin of actual votes by the American people:

Here is Trump's margin of victory in three closest "swing" states:

MI = 11,612
WI = 27,257
PA = 68,236

Total = 107,105

That's out of 136,628,459 votes cast overall.

It is, at least at the time of this writing, sour grapes to say that Mr. Trump didn't win the Election.

He did ... by a tiny, tiny margin of votes.

Now, this is only one variable in the equation of power in the United States. Both the Legislative and Judicial branches would have to be considered, as well as the makeup of the State legislatures and Governorships ... etc.

... but ...

... the Presidential Election is the only time when the entire nation gets to give an up or down vote to overall political platforms.

And in that contest, the decision was based in 107K votes overall.

Final Presidential Election Results - Politico
edit on 16-2-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Reference

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

No doubt Soros is mad he lost all that money,and is intent on starting civil war,then we will be taken over by the UN,what seemed far fetched to some is comming to reality,and it kills me to see mindless ones egging this on,and it's a conjoined effort by the Republican sell outs and the Democrats,do the research on who loses if UN broken up

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join