It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journey to a Thousand Stars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
a reply to: namelesss

I think that the world is better off if people share knowledge, including spelling/grammar/etc.

Just because it "annoys" you or because you "didn't like English class" doesn't give you some special position where you can bully and insult others into not helping others learn more.

There's nothing wrong with giving others a few tips.
I wish others were so kind to me.

You wasted time with your post.

Well think of it this way. Imagine you are bowling with friends having a good time when the pro bowling instructor comes up an starts telling you what your doing wrong, feel a little embarrassed, maybe at least uncomfortable right?

Yet on the other hand the instructor is just trying to help, doing what he does best.

Point is if your going to coach someone in grammar it might help to ask first if they want it. I appreciate it because I know I need it. But there are many like me who struggle being consistent when it come to grammar and spelling. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I know for me if I knew if every time I posted I was going to get a lesson in grammar I would never have signed up.

To be honest I was not thrilled you decided to correct my grammar and spelling, I was at least glad you included somethings relevant to my thread. If all you did was correct my spelling as a reply to my OP, you might have gotten a different reply.

Example:
Now I feel like there are way too many grammatical errors in this post for me to even hit the reply button, but if I go back and try to fix it all I may never hit reply at all.

Thank you for meeting me halfway and your understanding in this matter.

edit on 16-2-2017 by Observationalist because: Damn you grammar

edit on 16-2-2017 by Observationalist because: I could do this all day

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

Well you don't really make many errors at all, that's why I helped. I doubt you'll repeat them now that you know affect vs effect.

I'd love to have a pro bowling instructor give me tips, my performance would skyrocket immediately because I don't know anything about bowling.

I honestly don't understand why it's offensive to help others.

Apply this mentality anywhere else, like a starving person. Would offering a burger to them offend them?

Or what about someone trying to throw a football yet struggling? In my personal experience I only have to tell them one or two things and then within their first try with that new information they are throwing near perfect spirals with better accuracy.

None of them ever said they were insulted, they were thrilled at the drastic improvement from just one or two tiny tips.

I didn't intend to insult you. I saw that you could benefit from what I could offer, and you did. I learn new things everyday there's nothing to be ashamed of.

Our culture has a major problem as we've indoctrinated amongst ourselves a reluctance to adopt new information.

I don't usually bother helping people, but when I do it's because I like them. It was a compliment.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Sorry, got kinda distracted with the Oroville dam thing.

You right. You can't go wrong if all your trying to do is help.

You can't control how others react to the offer, at least you offer.

At the same time, timing is everything.

Old Solomon might have something to add on this discussion.

“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing, but the mouth of a fool belches out foolishness.

The lips of the wise give good advice; the heart of a fool has none to give.

Mockers hate to be corrected, so they stay away from the wise.

Everyone enjoys a fitting reply; it is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time!

If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise.”

‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭15:2, 7, 12, 23, 31‬ ‭NLT‬‬
bible.com...

<< 1   >>

join