It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaur found that gave live birth, instead of laying eggs, 245 million years ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
New info all the time-a dino that gave birth to live little dino's. Cool.

PARIS – An unusually long-necked marine reptile gave birth to live young 245 million years ago — the only known member of the dinosaur, bird and croc family to not lay eggs, researchers said Tuesday.

Archaeologists examining the fossil of a female Dinocephalosaurus from Yunnan Province, southwest China, were amazed to discover the remains of a baby among the bones where her abdomen would have been.
www.japantimes.co.jp... o/#.WKTs8fKQjv0

The discovery rewrites what is thought about the the theory of evolution and reproductive systems.

www.japantimes.co.jp... /#.WKTs8fKQjv0
“I was so excited when I first saw this embryonic specimen,” said Jun Liu of China’s Hefei University of Technology who co-authored a study published in Nature Communications.

“This discovery rewrites our understanding of the evolution of reproductive systems.”

I like dinosaurs, the idea that they were roaming around like deer do today is interesting.

• Live birth is usually associated with mammals, and egg-laying is considered the original, “primitive” state of animals.
  • Dinocephalosaurus was a strange-looking ocean-dweller with a neck almost twice the length of its trunk — some 3-4 meters

edit on 15-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
New info all the time-a dino that gave birth to live little dino's. Cool.

PARIS – An unusually long-necked marine reptile gave birth to live young 245 million years ago — the only known member of the dinosaur, bird and croc family to not lay eggs, researchers said Tuesday.

Archaeologists examining the fossil of a female Dinocephalosaurus from Yunnan Province, southwest China, were amazed to discover the remains of a baby among the bones where her abdomen would have been.
www.japantimes.co.jp... o/#.WKTs8fKQjv0

The discovery rewrites what is thought about the the theory of evolution and reproductive systems.

“I was so excited when I first saw this embryonic specimen,” said Jun Liu of China’s Hefei University of Technology who co-authored a study published in Nature Communications.

“This discovery rewrites our understanding of the evolution of reproductive systems.”

I like dinosaurs, the idea that they were roaming around like deer do today is interesting.

• Live birth is usually associated with mammals, and egg-laying is considered the original, “primitive” state of animals.
  • Dinocephalosaurus was a strange-looking ocean-dweller with a neck almost twice the length of its trunk — some 3-4 meters

Shouldn't that be paleontologists? Not trying to be picky, but reporters should know the difference.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SammyB0476

I'm sure you can email the journalist.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Link didnt work, just me?

interesting subject though!!

edit on b2828656 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
My 7 year old is throwing a fit right now.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Interesting.

But I don't like things that can eat me for breakfast.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

It's not you, I tried to link again and nothing. I guess this will be an exercise in trust.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Is that a sight, I can never tell with you. If so I like it.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This sounds super sketchy.

However there are snakes that give birth to live young.

More study is needed here.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Very cool, but when you consider the blue shark gives live birth..in fact they will sometimes eat one another in utero...and sharks date back millions of years, its not hard to believe.

Nice find

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

maybe its embryonic, maybe its young child was laying on top, or directly beneath, when they died. Maybe a young dino was eating on a dead dino and ended up dying in the process.

I would suspect, however, that its a live birth scenario. I suspect live birth originates in the oceans.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Ohh great they traced hilary's ancestry waaay back. Good news. a reply to: seasonal

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Ohh great they traced hilary's ancestry waaay back. Good news. a reply to: seasonal

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Heres a linky thing .
www.theverge.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   

What were dinosaurs doing 245 million years ago?... The very first dinosaurs started walking the earth in late Triassic, 231 million years ago.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Can you please post a working link for this?

top topics

join