It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA, heeding Trump, may add astronauts to a test flight moon mission

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Looks like the time line to get the moon mission is being moved up.
Is anyone else surprised, usually we hear we are going to blah, blah, blah in 20 years. Not Trump, he want to go by 2020. And Nasa is listening.

According to current plans, a crewed mission, EM-2, would not be launched until several years later under the NASA timeline — certainly not during Trump's current term. That crewed mission would also orbit the moon.

But on Wednesday, NASA's acting administrator, Robert Lightfoot, sent a letter to employees saying he'd instructed the top NASA official for human spaceflight, associate administrator William Gerstenmaier, to explore the feasibility of adding astronauts to the EM-1 flight.

By NASA standards this is a bombshell announcement, in other words people know the do nothing policies of the past are done, get the lead out and get the US to the moon (again).

www.washingtonpost.com... /
This is, by NASA standards, a bombshell announcement, because major missions involving new hardware and astronauts are typically planned many years in advance. Rush jobs are not NASA's way.

At the same time, NASA officials and space policy experts understand that Trump wants to do something dramatic. Scott Pace, head of the Space Policy Institute at George Washington University, said earlier this week, “There is strong interest in finding significant near-term accomplishments that can be done in the first term.”

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Lefties claim to be so pro-science, yet when Obama took office the manned space program died. Something Neil Tyson used to speak out about, then suddenly stopped.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

True, space was just for satellites, I am just surprised at the size of the fire that has been lit under a ton of bureaucrats asses.

Will the left start to give DJ Trump so credit?

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: TheBulk

True, space was just for satellites, I am just surprised at the size of the fire that has been lit under a ton of bureaucrats asses.

So many of my liberal friends think space travel is a useless waste of money (better spent on welfare). It blows my mind.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Will funding for the projects be approved by congress is the real question.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Prioritizing space travel is always a hot topic. As a Liberal I'm curious about how this will play out and I'm very optimistic.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

NEVER !!! Not part of their destructive anti- everything Trump program.

Edit to add: Besides they will just claim the whole mission is just CGI and the astronauts are really in a comfy hotel room at an undisclosed location..
edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

edit on 15-2-2017 by neo96 because: Never Mind

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Again, I blame Musk, that was the real reason why he attended the meeting. He must be doing backflips right now.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

How many years has it been since NASA did something relevant?

Any President should be pro-Space Program.

Why has it been since Kennedy?!

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: swedy13

Do you mean Musk steered the meeting to the moon?

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Yep Trump/Kennedy.

We are going to hear the comparison again and again.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I don't think it'll happen. With the way the world is at the moment, the economy, etc - there's just more important things to spend the money on.

Don't get me wrong - I want this more than anyone. I just don't see it getting the green light.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: youcanttellthepeople

Was the time right in the 60's?

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
Will funding for the projects be approved by congress is the real question.

It says in the article and from all accounts that extra funding will be needed, and alternative technology, AKA private and government. So you can take it that Donald will not be throwing his own bucks around.
I hope that they do get extra funding though, as long as they use it properly on making the technology as good and safe as can be done, and in fact their recent work has been excellent. The thing is, NASA has been working quietly for years now in getting their missions right and they have done super well, but I guess a lot of people don't appreciate that, or just don't want to know.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Yes, make it safe. But space travel is very dangerous. Oh and did you think Trump was going to put his own money in?

says in the article and from all accounts that extra funding will be needed, and alternative technology, AKA private and government. So you can take it that Donald will not be throwing his own bucks around.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Trump, he want to go by 2020.

I sincerely hope he does, and doesn't dog up the White house with dead bodies in the meantime,

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

2020, that is a tight time schedule, Nasa and other contractors are going to have move their butts.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Yes, make it safe. But space travel is very dangerous.

Is it? maybe that's why NASA has been beavering away making it as safe as possible all these decades....who'dda thunk

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

You lost me.

Do you mean the mult explosions of billion $$ shuttles?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join