It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bird Flu Kills Vietnam Girl, Possible Cambodia Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Another Vietnamese girl has died of the bird flu bringing the total to 12 in the most recent outbreak. More alarmingly, a Cambodian woman may have also died of the same disease indicating a possible spread. It also would make the first human casualty of the disease in Cambodia. Doctors hope that Cambodia will now take proper precautions

story.news.yahoo.com
HANOI (Reuters) - Bird flu has killed a 10-year-old girl in southern Vietnam, doctors said Monday, and they hoped the death of a Cambodian women suspected of having the virus would force Phnom Penh to take preventative measures.

The girl from the southern Vietnamese province of Long An died Sunday, a doctor at Ho Chi Minh City's Pediatric Hospital No.1 said, raising the toll in Vietnam from H5N1 virus to 12 since the disease erupted again in December.

The death toll from the Asian bird flu since the end of 2003 now stands at 44 -- 32 in Vietnam and 12 in Thailand.

Vietnamese authorities are waiting for test results on a 25-year-old Cambodian woman who was hospitalized on Jan. 28 with a high fever and died Sunday. Her lungs had been badly damaged.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This disease seems to have a high communicability and now is readily making the jump to humans. The concern of course is a SARS like outbreak. Once again, I call into question the initial cause of the outbreak of this disease. SARS and Avian flu all seem to have been a bio-warfare experiment gone bad and based on thier actions in dealing with previous outbreaks, China is suspect.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Vietnam officially confirms two children died from bird flu: Update: Vietnam reports 11th vict

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   

SARS and Avian flu all seem to have been a bio-warfare experiment gone bad and based on thier actions in dealing with previous outbreaks, China is suspect.

I've been meaning to look into this, any links to back this up?

-raven

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Alas no hard evidence, simply conjecture. Even good sites like Fas or Globalsecurity have precious little on China's biowarfare stuff.

What fuels my suspicions:

1) They clamped down hard and tried to keep quite/cover up the outbreaks.

2) The MD that let the world know about SARS was arrested on bogus charges and jailed

3) Again no solid proof: But the outbreaks ocured in the same general part of China, one I have seen bandied about from time to time as having research facilities

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I've heard from a former Chinese national that the clampdown was more for national pride-China doesn't like to admit it's health care system and administration has flaws. The world opinion , as well as tourism, would be affected. The arrest of the doctor-simply because he disobeyed orders to keep things quiet.

If there is anything deliberate about this, it'd be nothing sinister like manufactured or bioengineered bugs, but maybe a little ethnic or social engineering to stir things up?

Originally posted by FredT
Alas no hard evidence, simply conjecture. Even good sites like Fas or Globalsecurity have precious little on China's biowarfare stuff.

What fuels my suspicions:

1) They clamped down hard and tried to keep quite/cover up the outbreaks.

2) The MD that let the world know about SARS was arrested on bogus charges and jailed

3) Again no solid proof: But the outbreaks ocured in the same general part of China, one I have seen bandied about from time to time as having research facilities

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   

But the outbreaks ocured in the same general part of China

Which part?

-raven

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
First Cambodian bird flu death

A WOMAN woman who died last week in southern Vietnam has tested positive for bird flu, becoming the first Cambodian national known to have died after contracting the virus.
The 25-year-old woman was admitted to the southern Kien Giang provincial hospital on Jan 28 and died two days later of respiratory failure.

"The test results showed that she was positive to the H5N1 virus," Dr Phan Anh Tu from Ho Chi Minh City Pasteur Institute said.

A doctor from Kien Giang provincial hospital said: "Ten days before she died, her 14-year-old brother died in Cambodia's Kampot province.

"Her relatives told us that he died after showing similar symptoms."

Link
(emphasis added)

new topics

top topics

join