It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay, I have to know... WTF is wrong with Trumps handshake?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: GAB4754

But you are not allowed to be an alpha male. The PC crowd will nail you to a cross.

No Alphas allowed.

8 years of sniveling has done a great deal of damage and of course ... it is something ... anything to report on.

Going to love his first handshake with Putin.

P

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   
It's actually more disturbing when you shake a guy's hand and the other person holds it really limply and doesn't shake at all. I don't shake a certain friends hand anymore cos its like shaking hands with a fairy princess. Trump's handshake is just a confident one, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure he also does a proper kiss on the cheek with digniataries not the fairy princess air-kiss toward the cheeks. Again, confidence. You either have it or you don't. Not sure that makes it "wrong"... ? There are hundreds of books on body language, worth reading, unsurprisingly they're written by experts, ATS is just opinion.
edit on 15-2-2017 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

But you are not allowed to be an alpha male. The PC crowd will nail you to a cross.

Na, it just is weird as hell. Look at this, just take a look:
Trump reeling in his Supreme Court nominee Gorsuch /GIF

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

When you shake a man's hand you are supposed to be close to him.

With a long range shake, one has to either move forward or bend over.

Trump will not do that and neither he should as The President!

These tactics in hand shakes are started by the other side.

The one with the Japanese was just in fun, go figure, they both have a sense of humor.

P

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: GAB4754
Whiny people complaining about how an alpha male gives a handshake. You guys truly have no low lol.
Alos, linking to John Oliver haha.

Trump is your idea of an Alpha male? OK

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

You might have had a decent thread until you put John Oliver in there.

Talk about 10 pounds of BS stuffed in a 5 pound bag....

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   
It is not normal. He is probably trying to assert some sort of dominance and it comes off unwieldy. You expect a square dance caller to be in his head.
It is better to lean into a handshake and grasp firmly. It gives you the dominance, you are the initiator. But it looks normal and also says our interests are mutual.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I think it perception. We are being pushed the narrative around his handshake. If Obama did this, the media would have praised his strength and touted his handshake for him. Trump on the other hand... we have to demonize by all meansnecessary.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Did you take a look at my linked gif?

Because that was not a normal handshake. And it was not initiated by a long-distance-stance by Gorsuch.

It was a primal gesture of dominance.

Does the President of the USA has to stand for this? Does he really need to live by such primitive urges?

Because, you know, other leaders will work on this and find ways to counter such simple tactics.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

No Alphas allowed.

8 years of sniveling has done a great deal of damage and of course ... it is something ... anything to report on.

Going to love his first handshake with Putin.

P

Why do you say that? There are alpha males. They simply exist. Trump is just not one of them.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

I think it perception. We are being pushed the narrative around his handshake. If Obama did this, the media would have praised his strength and touted his handshake for him. Trump on the other hand... we have to demonize by all meansnecessary.

Perception? We have all watched this weird pulling in, dare I say grabbing in, of others during a handshake. I only know of Trump that does this odd thing.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I've never seen anything quite like it. He yanks people by the arm with his shaking hand and then pats the back of their grasped hand with his other. Very strange.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Seems like a dominance thing... look at the people he shakes hands with

Trump is playin Alpha...

Yep. You nailed it.

The Guardian - What does Trump's handshake say about him?

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I've never seen anything quite like it. He yanks people by the arm with his shaking hand and then pats the back of their grasped hand with his other. Very strange.

The article I linked says the hand patting is about showing who is the most powerful - my opinion is it is a paternal gesture and in terms of transactional analysis, that is a parent to child transaction. He is claiming not only dominance but attempting to emasculate the other person with both the pat and the jerk.

The off balance jerking is his signature "unpredictability" combined with a wrestlers approach - get your opponent off balance and you have power over them.

The article called it "very self serving". Lol!

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

(No they wouldn't. Seriously. It's weird.)

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Seems like handshakes are a minefield for some politicians.

Funny how this handshake is assessed:

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
To me it seems like half the time he's trying to initiate a bro' hug and the other person isn't reciprocating lol. Uncomfortable

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

This thread is stupid and you should feel bad for posting it.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

It´s like others say, a dominance thing. Gangs/mafia and such are also known to have weird handshakes. I have meet people who shake hands, with there hand never moving away from the hip, its funny when I then do the same, and we end up very close to each other, shoulder against shoulder, just to say hello, we just might as well have hugged.

I dont usually shake hands like that, but if someone tries to do that to me, i will return the favor

They guy who has to move his arm the furthest from the body loses, and are the "weak" one.

Try to watch powerfull people when they shake hands, its a thing, but some people takes it to the extremes.

So which one would you prefer? A president who shows dominance, when shaking other world leaders hands, or a president who gets dominated by others when he/she shake hands?

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

*Sits in arm-chair*

Although the video is quite funny, I don't think there is any Ill intent or attempts at showing dominance. There was probably a point in his business life where he had to deal with very powerful people and he DID need to show some dominance. Maybe it has stuck with him.

Pulling them in is a signal of dominance, but I don't think thats what he's trying to do, rather show them a sign of confidence and strength. Notice he is speaking directly to them and smiling when he pulls them in. He's also a big strong guy so that adds another dynamic.

The hand tap is absolutely normal, and even I do that. It creates a level of comfort for the other person, kind of like saying "it's OK, I got you", another sign of confidence and strength in him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join