It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia deploys missile in apparent treaty violation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Moscow has deployed a cruise missile in an apparent treaty violation, a senior military official told CNN Tuesday.

The move is just the latest in a string of Russian provocations in the early days of the Trump administration, which has called for warmer relations with the Kremlin.

The traditional US adversary has also positioned a spy ship off the coast of Delaware and carried out flights near a US Navy warship, concerning American officials. The administration has not officially drawn any links between the three events.

The ground-launched cruise missile seems to run counter to the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, the senior military official said. The New York Times first reported is deployment.

Interesting turn of events, in my opinion, considering the current political atmosphere.

One has to wonder if this is just a posturing move by Russia in order to assert it potential power, a shot across NATO's bow, or perhaps a first test of Trump's leadership.

How will the White House respond?

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Moscow has deployed a cruise missile in an apparent treaty violation, a senior military official told CNN Tuesday.

The move is just the latest in a string of Russian provocations in the early days of the Trump administration, which has called for warmer relations with the Kremlin.

The traditional US adversary has also positioned a spy ship off the coast of Delaware and carried out flights near a US Navy warship, concerning American officials. The administration has not officially drawn any links between the three events.

The ground-launched cruise missile seems to run counter to the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, the senior military official said. The New York Times first reported is deployment.

Interesting turn of events, in my opinion, considering the current political atmosphere.

One has to wonder if this is just a posturing move by Russia in order to assert it potential power, a shot across NATO's bow, or perhaps a first test of Trump's leadership.

www.cnn.com...

It's just quid pro quo.
The US waved their junk at Russia for years saying..."it's a missile defense system...DEAL WITH IT".

Now, there's some pushback. Big surprise.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

I'm not familiar with past actions similar to this. Is this "common" from time to time or is this the first violation of the treaty?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Putin has said publicly before, that all his actions are "responses" to things the west is doing.

So, the question is, while we're all being distracted with the turmoil in Washington, what's going on on the world stage that Putin is "responding" to?

There's a news blackout on what the west is doing.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

This is the equivalent of the nuclear TLAM being reactivated.

Bad sign of things to come.

What Trumps response should be to what I just said.

Reactivated or pushing forward the Tomahawk replacement.
edit on 14-2-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
If I was Trump ... I'd just throw the treaty in the fireplace.

We don't need no stinkin' treaties. The Russians do. Let 'em go broke again like they did while Gorbachev was seated.

The Russians go broke and it's goodbye Putin. I figured that out in less than 12 seconds. I wonder how long it took Trump's staff?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

So, the question is, while we're all being distracted with the turmoil in Washington, what's going on on the world stage that Putin is "responding" to?

That's a good question. Why would Putin feel compelled to act in violation of a longstanding treaty?

My gut tells me this is a test of how Trump and NATO will respond.

If Trump is not a Russian stooge, he will come out and condemn this in the typical political fashion.

If Trump is a stooge, he will act accordingly. The WH's reaction to this will be telling.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Russia can do whatever they want now. ip so facto, they have trump's closeted skeletons in their possession.

Maybe we might see more 'leaks', or dirty secrets in the near future if we dont play nice...

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Well the story is from CNN, so there is probably a lot of details left out of it, and probably some twists put into it.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Well the story is from CNN, so there is probably a lot of details left out of it, and probably some twists put into it.

I don't think the source I chose to link to is important whatsoever.

This is a real event that we must keep an eye on.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I've gotta head off to school, so not much time to look into it, but this is most likely a response to NATO wargames in the area.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Actually the source is definitely important. CNN likes to leave out convenient details to make mountains out of molehills for what it's worth.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
If I was Trump ... I'd just throw the treaty in the fireplace.

We don't need no stinkin' treaties. The Russians do. Let 'em go broke again like they did while Gorbachev was seated.

The Russians go broke and it's goodbye Putin. I figured that out in less than 12 seconds. I wonder how long it took Trump's staff?

The US has been trying to break Russia for years now. The more broke Russia gets due to sanctions or any other trick the west uses does nothing against Putin's approval rating. Russians can handle being broke, what they can't handle is the world thinking they are weak. That is why the Russian people like Putin.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I am interested in seeing what Trump has to say about this, given all the alleged crap with Russia, between Trump and Flynn.

I certainly wonder if Russia is just testing the limits to see what the reaction will be with the new administration.

Side note: Russia should take a time out, and come back, after it can use its words, like a big boy. This posturing is ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Actually the source is definitely important. CNN likes to leave out convenient details to make mountains out of molehills for what it's worth.

It's a developing story. Any news outlet at this point will not have all of the details.

I'd like to discuss the topic if you don't mind. If you have an ax to grind about fake news, or some other nonsense, go find a more appropriate thread.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

It is fake news.

That is half arsed reporting.

A GLCM 'seems' to run counter.

Either it does it or it doesn't.
edit on 14-2-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It would be fake news if Russia did not launch anything whatsoever.

Half ass reporting is not fake news either.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The story makes no sense.

Deployed? Deployed what? Where is it? Which missile? Every missile Russia has in arsenal was built to treaty specifications, deployment of such is not a violation of any treaty that i'm aware of.

Fake news from CNN. As per usual.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: daryllyn

How about Putin's being played by CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA, LLC as well as Trump and remarking that

Side note: Russia should take a time out, and come back, after it can use its words, like a big boy. This posturing is ridiculous.

Is a pretty uneducated statement.

At this point it's time for some serious thought in the WH. Since the election no ones been able to craft a message and keep anyone on it. Spicer is all over the map, Conway is doing her own thing and Trump while keeping his campaign promises is also floundering around learning how a "Presidency works".

Wile we are all hyper-focusing on the disorganized mayhem the players in the background are moving and grooving using Putin to keep their little magic show going.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
If it's peacocking, as many have alluded to, it's not uneducated to say that it's ridiculous. Have a problem with something? Speak up instead of acting out.

This whole "let's fly a plane really close" and "let's take a boat really close" and "let's shoot off some fireworks and see if the neighbors call the cops" BS, merely to gage reaction, is silly. I would expect at least a teeny bit of maturity from adults..

However, I will look up Cambridge Analytica and see what I can learn. So thanks for the lead.

originally posted by: Caver78
a reply to: daryllyn

How about Putin's being played by CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA, LLC as well as Trump and remarking that

Is a pretty uneducated statement.

At this point it's time for some serious thought in the WH. Since the election no ones been able to craft a message and keep anyone on it. Spicer is all over the map, Conway is doing her own thing and Trump while keeping his campaign promises is also floundering around learning how a "Presidency works".

Wile we are all hyper-focusing on the disorganized mayhem the players in the background are moving and grooving using Putin to keep their little magic show going.

edit on 2/14/2017 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join